KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Late for the Party

Late for the Party Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    At long last, I finally got the time to pull the left outside cover to investigate. The starter and gear teeth looked healthy, but I realized I never fixed the deep hole issue when I did the 685 a few years back. Kind of a long story why, but I fixed it with the bushing from EM, and got it buttoned back up. Issue seems to be resolved.
  2. Fixnfly

Fixnfly Not found on the book of faces

Oddometer:
    Heat gun or paint remover ?
    gaiaRTW likes this.
  3. ericmoore68

ericmoore68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My new to me budget $900 KLR650. 2004 model. I cleaned her up, cleaned the carb, set the idle mix, doohickey and plasti dipped the god awful plastics. I bought it for "budget bike challenge" my buddies and I are doing over Thanksgiving, but I think it might stick around.

Attached Files:

4. gtackett

gtackett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_1780.jpg
    08 KLR on the “Tail of the Dragon” this week.
    Proof the KLR really can do it all!

(I do plan on ordering pics not just screen shots from the web site)
  5. sporty bob

sporty bob sporty bob

Oddometer:
    Love, the "No Doo's or Bob's over the 20 years". I've always thought there has been too much hype around these two upgrades. I'm glad two very enterprising guys have made a cottage industry around these "issues". However, your experience proves that a KLR can last a long time without these mods. I trust that the Kawasaki Engineers knew what they were doing when they designed the bike. I have a 2009 KLR with 40k on it that I bought with the 685 kit and the Doo Done and the thermo bob. The doo is "in there" and has never presented any issue. But the Bob has leaked on several occasions and the bike still runs cold. I just ordered a new 2022, and I'm going to leave the drivetrain 100% stock. I like the fact that it doesn't have a temp gauge, that way you don't have to worry about whether you need a thermo-bob or not. Of course I will farkle it with guards, lighting, heated grips, phone & GPS mounts, etc. Looking forward to seeing how long it will last, but I'm pretty sure it will outlast me by a wide margin.
    daveindenver, XDragRacer, Dno and 3 others like this.
  6. Pollack

Pollack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Perhaps you will have better luck and I, the spring on my 'doo' had no tension whatsoever at 8K. YMMV.......

Best regards,
    baldman1 and gpfan like this.
  7. Robotaz

Robotaz Adrenalin Freak

Oddometer:
    Sounds like it’s been opened up, and had the wrong thermostat put in it.

I believe they use a small block Chevy part, but could be wrong. I also think it’s supposed to have a 190F part, but could be wrong.
  8. KPfromCT

KPfromCT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Thermobob thermostats are tiny. Ain't no SBC part. It's been a while, but I think the 'stat that came with both kits was 194F (90C).
    AHRMA17L likes this.
  9. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got a 2022 that I probably wont mess with. Some reason I got 5yrs of warranty. I can sell the warranty back if I plan to do the mods. I also plan not to idle much or lug the engine. The tune helps to convince you not to lug. The idle is also set high and is not adjustable. I also think the tach and temp guage was left out to not distract the rider.
  10. JMH

JMH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i did this on my gen 2(2008). Carefully xacto knife around the decals to get through the clear coat - then heat gun and peel. go slow and be patient.

11. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Distract the rider? From what? The neck-snapping acceleration, or the 55-degree lean angle? :D Those things were left off for one reason only: cost cutting.
    gpfan, KPfromCT, r/l and 2 others like this.
  12. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The sensors are already in place for engine management. Lack of display is so riders wont worry about the engine blowing up from accounts they have read online. Ignorance is bliss.
  13. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All the data is also there for the EDR. Cost pennies to display it on lcd screen. Kawi chose not to display.
  14. mridefellow

mridefellow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I still think for this generation they should have built the engine for more power. Not more than 1 cylinder, but a more powerful 1 cylinder, like the BMW 650 in the past (or is that currently as well?). A higher compression KLR would require premium gas but I think it would be worth it. The BMW 650 may have had something in the engine that sensed the octane of gas and made an adjustment in timing to suit that octane.
  15. KLX250s

KLX250s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Loved the 1st gen KLR's, wouldn't touch a second gen. Too ugly for me. Would love to rxperience the new with FI. Probably gives new meaning to the word Thumper in a good way.
    Fixnfly and Dno like this.
  16. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Eagle Mike, Carl Parker, Dan DiMaio, and Jesse Kimball discuss 2022 KLR650; ADVMoto video FYI:

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    DSchmidt7of7, Dno and jwaller like this.
  17. Bakfarht

Bakfarht Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Turned out to be a busy weekend...
    Determined that the mechanical seal in my water pump was toast. Thought I just needed a gasket but it was a much bigger deal than that. So, rebuild time. Replaced the oil seal as well, comes as a kit so why not. This turned out to be an easy enough job, but kind of stressful...makes you feel like if you don't do it exactly right your screwed. Anyway, seems like that turned out OK, nothing coming out of the pinhole anyway.

Next I decided to see if the crash bars that were on when I crashed could be salvaged. I found it really remarkable that as hard as they are, being steel, they folded like a pretzel when I hit the deer. It took a lot of force and prying to get them straightened out again, but after a few hours I warped them into shape and I think actually improved them a little. Sanded and painted them, and they're actually usable.

Incidentally, my beloved Rotella T4 seems to be unavailable right now, no stock anywhere :( However, I found a guy with a box full of Napa 15w40 diesel oil for cheap, and being that I am also cheap I decided to try it. Initial impressions are quite good, it seems to run and shift just the same. I don't leave oil in very long so can't hurt. My bike is essentially a zombie anyway.
  18. Bakfarht

Oddometer:
    .... and today's fun project, build-your-own radiator shroud! Cut from the side of a battery box and basically melted into shape with a torch and iron. Oh man I'm truly insane. However, I can see it possibly working with some finishing and paint. 20211018_131731.jpg 20211018_131711.jpg
  19. freeway crash

freeway crash Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice work!!!
    Bakfarht likes this.
  20. Bakfarht

Oddometer:
    Thanks, but we'll see... these things often end up in the trash lol
    I built up a recess for the grille (I happened to have a spare oem plastic insert lying around) and then used some JB epoxy resin as a filler. Hopefully it sands down nicely. If so, it just might work. 20211018_192848.jpg
    Grinnin likes this.