KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. 99F150

99F150 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    klr.jpg
    this is my first KLR. I’ve had a 250L, Versys X300, and currently have a Vstrom 650 and SWM RS500R. I would describe the power as adequate and predictable. It’s not a revver like the 500. It’s linear, luggable. Not a match for Vstrom acceleration. But it can lug along a gear too high at low speeds. It gets you to 75mph reasonably. You still have room to go after that. I hit 91 today as top speed.
    A minor rebound adjustment to slow the shock down helped it immensely from showroom. Otherwise, suspension is good enough for dirt roads and gravel that I run.
    I’m going to do something to the rubber mounted pegs to firm that up. Going to get wider platform pegs for standing stability.
    Brakes feel really good to me. This is non abs model. I’ve had no issues with them.
    Seat is good. No reason to upgrade that. I will be adding bar risers and real hand guards.
    Windscreen works fine for me. I’m 6ft even (182cm). No buffeting.
    I wish it had a tachometer, but not a deal breaker. This is a low rpm bike like a diesel.
    I cringe at the sight of the rear brake line routing. I will want to clean that situation up sometime.
    This base model doesn’t have charge port standard. No biggie. There’s a blank on right side of dash for aftermarket addition. According to the manual, there is already wiring in place for power port, aux lights, and heated grips.
    There’s also a blank port on left side. Maybe add a power port and voltmeter in there.
    I upgraded tires before delivery. My group of guys always finds nasty stuff to ride. I want tires for the worst case scenario, so Kenda Trackmaster rear and Goldentyre Fatty 216 up front.
    Right now, waiting for aftermarket to bring out crash bar options. I’m researching tank bags and soft luggage for future trips.
    Gotchile, JPV, Lochsa and 5 others like this.
  2. jespo

jespo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Everyone,
    Picked up a 2022 KLR adventure about a month ago... and just did my 600 mile initial oil change.
    So far I'm very happy with the bike... except for one little fuel injection behavior... and wondering if any new KLR owners are experiencing the same behavior.

FI Behavior Description:
    When cruising while engine is in mid-upper RPM (my guess ~3500 and above.. no tach but familiar with RPM sound from previous gen), then slowly rolling off throttle, the FI cuts fuel and/or ignition to the engine. (Most likely by design to prevent decel pop, cool engine, save fuel, etc... my Indian Scout did the same thing... seems to be new FI norm)
    This 'fuel cut' behavior results in aggressive engine braking. (You can also hear the engine stop firing)
    When slowly rolling the throttle back on, the transition is abrupt, resulting in a jerk/surge. (and you hear the engine firing/running again)
    This is most noticeable when trying to maintain steady 50+ MPH down hill or flat road.
    This 'behavior' does not happen at slower speeds and lower (<~3500) RPM ranges.
    I can clearly hear the engine firing with the throttle closed at lower engine speeds... and the transition from 'closed throttle-to-opening throttle' is super smooth.

Thoughts?
    99F150 likes this.
  3. 99F150

99F150 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've noticed some similar behavior with my 22. I've noticed my idle raise itself when stopped. I have 600 mile service scheduled, I'm going to have them check this out.
    PhilTheBiker and jespo like this.
  4. Tiggleswerth

Tiggleswerth Jansport

Oddometer:
    Just across the river from Marsing, Idaho
    That’s interesting, I test rode a 22 last Saturday and it was doing the exact thing you mentioned, abrupt fuel cuts in the midrange while trying to cruise steadily in 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear. I loved everything about the bike except that. The dealer let me ride another bike and I could not get that bike to do the same thing. I have money down on one right now and you have me worried. I did notice that on the bike that exhibited these symptoms that the throttle cables had too much play and the play needed to be adjusted out.

I copied your post and asked in the 2022 KLR thread as well.
    jespo likes this.
  5. jespo

jespo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for confirming I'm not going crazy! :)
    I noticed my idle also raises slightly after a long ride. I can live with this... but would really like to get the 'mid-RPM fuel shutoff issue' resolved.
    gpfan likes this.
  6. jespo

jespo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you! I also thought that the fuel cut issue was caused by sloppy throttle cable adjustment. I adjusted my throttle cables per the instructions in the owner's manual and unfortunately it did not resolve the issue.
    I wouldn't work about pulling the trigger on a new KLR. There are so many good things about the new KLR. The 'power of the people' will get this fuel cut issue resolved. :)
    I also noticed DynoJet has already released a tuner for the 2022 KLR.
    https://www.dynojet.com/power-commander-v-for-kawasaki-klr650-17-086/

Continuing this topic in the 2022 KLR 650 EFI thread: https://advrider.com/f/threads/2022-klr-650-efi.1485880
    Tiggleswerth likes this.
  7. By-tor

By-tor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    551812D2-0B15-44AC-BDC0-E1CE2186A765.jpeg 551812D2-0B15-44AC-BDC0-E1CE2186A765.jpeg Just picked up my 2022 today. Only had a chance to put about 20 miles from n it so far.
    I got the ADV model. I did notice at a stop light today the idle kind of went up by itself once. Seems like it happens when you slightly touch the throttle. Maybe my cable is too tight. I can tell you that this is one sweet bike . I am impressed. Windscreen is perfect , I’m 6’1 and there is no buffeting at all. I will put my bar risers on and raising links. I like tall bikes. Next to my GEN 1 the seat is a good 3 inches lower. I also have raising links on my GEN 1.
    Overall I would definitely buy one . Coming from a GEN 1 to this is a night and day improvement.
    4E63EF07-C606-42B4-9EF3-45D7CA3048B2.jpeg
    Dougo, Lochsa, Dno and 1 other person like this.
  8. Bakfarht

Bakfarht Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ya but the gen 1, I mean what other bike do you have to mold your own replacement body plastics out of a scrap battery box...

It's starting to look decent after some sandable primer. Who known, maybe I'll actually end up using it!

20211020_201147.jpg
  9. van the man

van the man Space Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Do you fly areobatics? I worked for Zivko areo for 7 years, built fuselages on about 20 Edge 540's and 540T's
  10. Bakfarht

Oddometer:
    Totally missed this post, which being an '04 rider myself is unforgivable...
    Looks like you got yourself a great project bike there! Good bones. Getting tougher to find oem parts but that's part of the fun.
  11. Skinnytires

Skinnytires Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If anyone has a pair of OE fork springs from a 1995-2007 bike (they're really long 21"+) I'd be happy to take them off your hands in exchange for beer money :beer

Edit: no longer looking, thanks JobbyJim
  12. PhilTheBiker

PhilTheBiker Never trust a fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m also going to confirm that with my 2022 the deceleration = heavy engine braking and rolling on the gas = jerky sensation.

ive never owned a KLR of any sort before so I just thought it was a single cylinder thing.

When I had my 2008 GSXR it was super smooth rolling on and off. The KLR is anything but smooth rolling on and off.

thanks for bringing this up.I didn’t realize carb KLRs where different.

I am averaging 52mpg so far. About 1400 miles in.
    mridefellow likes this.
  13. jobbyjim

jobbyjim n00b

Oddometer:
    I have a set from a 2000, will be back home Sunday and can contact you then about shipping, etc.
  14. Bakfarht

Oddometer:
    Chop shop fairing taking shape... painted and mounting points attached, just need to insert the grille. Turned out pretty good! 20211022_095316.jpg
  15. By-tor

By-tor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone install risers on the 22 model? Seems like there’s not too much wire length available. I need about a two inch rise. I tried the 2 in. up and 1 inch forward risers from my other bike but cables are too short. I might have to figure out about re routing some things.
    Anyone have any recommendations ?
    So far the bike runs great. I’m not getting any of the jerky sensations here. Just a slight idle up at traffic lights sometimes. I can’t tell if it’s just me doing it with the throttle or not. It’s no big deal though. Only noticed it a couple of times.
    Very happy so far.
    daveindenver likes this.
  16. PhilTheBiker

PhilTheBiker Never trust a fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    Saw a photo somewhere of someone that did. Might have been here a few days ago :) But someone added 1/2 inch risers I think and made no cable adjustments. Scroll back a over a few days. Otherwise I saw it on some random facebook KLR page I follow.
    By-tor likes this.
  17. By-tor

By-tor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ill try to find that. Thanks. I had some 1 in. risers laying around that I put on. Ill see what that does for now. I don't think it's going to be enough though. My GEN 1 bars are pretty high and comfortable. Then again I've been on my GEN 1 for 10 years now so my body is conformed to that set up. I might just have to get used to it. HA HA!
    Thanks again!
  18. Bakfarht

Oddometer:
    Ok last pic I swear... finished, with grille inserted and some cheesy decals. Slowly but surely, the bike is becoming a mutant.

20211022_205021.jpg
  19. Kino

Kino Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello, I have a KLR650 built in 1988, restored in 2021.
    The main issue I have right now is that the R/R overcharges my 6 month old gel battery.
    A few weeks ago when starting the bike in the mornings I noticed it has a weaker charge than normal. After a while it didnt hold enough charge to start at all. Right now i have to push start it if it is left alone for more than 2-3 hours. I did some testing after riding it for a while today. The battery had about 13 volts being turned off. After turning it and letting it idle it shows 14-15 volts , when i twist the throttle it spikes up to 17 volts. My conclusion is the R/R is broken.

Before I buy my ebay replacement, I would like to know how these things break aside from overheating which isnt really a problem in my country right now. I am a little worried because my bike seems to have further electrical issues. Most of the time my temperature gauge is off. It doesnt function unless by some chance the wires touch in the right way, it works for a while. The tachometer works great until i turn any light on. That immediately kills the tacho and also kills the temp gauge if that was also working by coincidence. The gauge backlighting also doesnt work even though i did a checkup on the health of the cables and they're fine. Furthermore, the horn is good but doesnt work. When i hit the button it gives some weak sound as if it's dying. When I wired it directly onto a battery it operated as it should. I'm pretty sure there are some ground issues but I dont know where to look. I have checked inside my gauge cluster, there was indeed a bad wire in there that was fixed poorly. I repaired it properly but that didnt change anything. I am worried I might break the next R/R too, as these issues were all present before restoring the bike and I never figured out how to fix them. I think the R/R might have been broken for years. The old battery wasnt completely filled so perhaps the R/R cooked some juice out of it. My current battery is gel. I don't know how rapidly an overcharging R/R kills a gel battery. I wonder if my battery is still good to use with a new R/R or should I buy that right away to avoid damaging the new R/R ?

Thank you
  20. Kino

Kino Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll go ahead and order the R/R and will decide later if I need a new battery. Indeed I have to go do some hands on testing to discover some faulty wires in relation to tacho or light bulbs. The lights appear to be at full brightness, but it's possible I have never seen full brightness too.

Thanks