KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. van the man

van the man Space Wrangler

Oddometer:
    There are a gajillion around - maybe borrow one for a day, see if it is for you.
  2. Bakfarht

Bakfarht Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found a good deal on a pair of Nelson Rigg "Survivor Series" SE-2050 saddlebags so I pulled the trigger. I had a pair of the Sierra SE-3050s before but one got trashed in an accident. I found the Sierras a bit bulky and awkward, so for the price thought I'd try something different. I've got Dirtracks on the bike. Anybody used the Survivor packs?
  3. Pollack

Pollack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a set that doesn't say Nelson Rigg but I'm certain that them came from the same factory and assembly line. I ordered a couple replacement parts that were identical to the NR version. They are pretty big, stiffeners of some sort would help, you'll probably get two seasons out of them.

Best regards,
    Bakfarht likes this.
  4. Smithy

Smithy Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer:
    I need to sort out a dead fan on my '07 -A model. Not the fuse. I fucking hate electrical gremlins.
    Late for the Party likes this.
  5. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    First place to start (after looking for broken wires leading to fan etc.) is the temp. sensing unit --fan switch--on the bottom of the radiator. IIRC, when it reaches temp the switch provides ground connection to complete the fan circuit, so you can remove the lead that goes to the fan from the sensor, connect to ground and see if the fan turns on.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/klr-radiator-fan-switch.54840/
  6. Bakfarht

Oddometer:
    Well I got my Nelson Rigg SE-2050 bags, I'm actually quite pleased with them considering the price ($95 US). Someone described them as "strapy" which is pretty accurate, but compared to the SE-3050 bags I actually find these less frustrating to mount. The tarpaulin material is the same, I think, so certainly waterproof, and the cross velcro straps are robust. Should work just fine for some light touring, but I'd be hesitant to head out on a major excursion.
  7. RickyBilly

RickyBilly Mentally Retired

Oddometer:
    If Kawi goes electric
    Hell hath no fury like a woman's scorn
  8. Nozzu

Nozzu n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello,

Discovered that my bar is bent. Would like a replacement. And cause in Estonia they do not sell Pro Taper ATV high, it must be Renthal. And I would like it to be as close to stock one as possible.
    It seems to me, that the closest is Enduro CR high. Do I miss some point here? Or what would you suggest?

Comparing what I made is here:

lenksuvõrdlus.jpg

lenksuvõrdlus.jpg

P.S I really messed up with those thumbnails. Sorry

Attached Files:

Late for the Party likes this.
  9. AX21

AX21 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    GEN 1 electrical question: Replacing rear turn signals on 2003 KLR650 after dumping the bike a couple times on a recent off-road trip. Original wiring is grey to grey wire and BLK w/YEL Stripe to BLK w/YEL Stripe. New Bike Master turn signals have one BLK and one BLK w/White Stripe. I am no electrician and the Clymer Manual wiring diagram was no help. Can anyone help me with which color wire to connect to which from the new turn signal to the wires on the bike? Thank you in advance.
  10. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    You need to find which wire goes to the center nub in the bulb socket and which wire goes to the outer ring.

A multi-mete is great for this plus for many other repairs common on motorcycles. You'd take the bulb out of your new socket and see which wire connects to the nub and which to the ring. I assume you don't have one although I suggest that you buy one now.

The grey wire on your stock turn signal connects to the center nub and the black/yellow wire connects to the ring.

Can you rig up a test light to see which wire is connected to each part?
  11. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just general info; Harbor Freight sells small digital multi-meters for less than $ 10 US; WAY less on sale.
  12. gaiaRTW

gaiaRTW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Simple to figure out by trial/error since you have only two wires. You won't short anything. I recently replaced my front signals with BikeMaster, and I can't remeber the colors, but stripe to stripe, solid to solid is a very good guess.
  13. KPfromCT

KPfromCT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In a perfect world you would want the negative wire to connect to the outer shell of the bulb socket. That's traditionally how it's done in negative ground vehicles. On a KLR with a plastic signal housing with a single filament bulb on a rubber stalk it just doesn't matter functionally. It's gonna light up either way.
  14. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    It doesn't matter today. If he later wants to put in LED bulbs or the next owner wants to put in LED bulbs then it does (or might) matter.
  15. Guvment mule

Guvment mule Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thinking of buying some new plastic for my '05, any of you fellers have bought some of the Maier plastics? If so is it any good?
  16. OUTLAND MOTO

OUTLAND MOTO And then suddenly....

Oddometer:
    I bought Maier plastics for my DR650 and thought the were great. 3D Cycle Parts has sets for the Gen 1 and Gen 2 KLR’s. Seem a bit pricey, but looking pretty is costly, I suppose. :-)
  17. Guvment mule

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
  18. Bakfarht

Oddometer:
    I bought a pair of Maier radiator shrouds and ended up returning them. Looked great but poor fit.
  19. Guvment mule

Oddometer:
    that don't sound goodfor the rest of the parts ,I am going to use a aftermarket plasttic tank so i wont need the shrouds but i wonder about the rest of the plastic. might be better to paint what i got.
  20. mikehailwood

mikehailwood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone make aftermarket 2nd Gen body plastic components made of ABS?