1. eNewsletter Sign Up

KLR650 Stator output query

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ozphotog, Nov 1, 2011.

1. ozphotog

ozphotog OZPHOTOG

Oddometer:
    In trying to solve my no spark problem, can someone tell me how much power the ignition coils on the stator should put out when the engine is cranking?

I get about 50-60v AC when spinning it over.

A dealer mechanic told me it should be about 100v but he wasn;t sure whether that was when just cranking or when actually running.
  2. Dan Stark

Dan Stark You can't be serious.

Oddometer:
    If you unplug the white plug under the tank that contains three yellow wires coming from the stator and test the out put there, you should get around 30 Vac at idle and around 60 Vac at 4,000rpm.

I hope I understood your question correctly. If not let me know. :lol3

**Edit** The manual states "greater than 43V at 4000 rpm." The numbers I gave you are based on experience.
  3. ozphotog

ozphotog OZPHOTOG

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your input.

I need to know the output of the wires for the ignition cdi.... not the yellow wires, the yellow wires are for the charging circuit.

Thanks.
  4. ozphotog

ozphotog OZPHOTOG

Oddometer:
    Specifically i need to know how many volts the stator send to the ignition circuit when cranking, not running.

I have a no spark problem and I am trying to see if it is the stator.
  5. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Clymer provides only resistance, not voltage, values for the exciter coil (100-200 ohms, RED to WHITE), ozphotog.

Don't know what AC voltage you should read from the exciter coil on cranking; my understanding, the voltage is stepped-up by a transformer internally in the CDI, then rectified to charge the capacitor.

As to your problem, does your CDI check out, resistance-wise? Same, for pickup coil and ignition coil?

Dan Stark, if this talk is confusing, we're discussing a Generation 1 KLR; Generation 2's have no stator exciter coils.
  6. ozphotog

ozphotog OZPHOTOG

Oddometer:
    Anyone know of the 08+ models and the pre 08 models have the same pulse pickup?

They look the same apart from the plug on the wire, which is easily changed.

Reason I ask, is there is a late model one on ebay quite cheap, and the wiring on mine is quite old and brittle. Just trying to remove all the possible future problems.
  7. ldeikis

ldeikis Dirty daydreamer

Oddometer:
    I'm digging this out of the vault to ask if anyone else can offer voltages here. I'm deep into a prolonged intermittent no/hard start situation. To be clear, my question is:
    On a gen1 KLR 650, what AC voltage do you see between the Red and White wires coming from the stator / exciter coil when cranking the engine? You would measure this by disconnecting the 6 pin connector coming from the stator, which can be found up near the horn/coolant overflow. This connector has 5 wires coming from the stator. If you happen to have your tank off for other winter projects, this is a 30 second test you could do to help a fellow out!

I don't want to restart a thread on my particular issue, just looking for more data on this specific measurement. Yes, I know the service manual offers a resistance value.

Thanks.

Luke