KLRsys build

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by KLRsys, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Krasniewski

Krasniewski I don't ride much.

Oddometer:
    I got some weight savings from a stock R1 Titanium muffler. The bike's still quiet and the weight savings are welcome.

You can fish around on Craigslist and Ebay and see if you can find one. Just my two pennies.

Oh yes, and well done. :thumb VERY clean.
  2. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Couple of additions.

Dakota Digital CRS-3000 cruise control (all electric,no vacuum can)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know it might seem a bit extreme but I've had real cruise control on two other bikes, a GL1800 and an Electra Glide, and really enjoyed it. I'm planning on riding this thing to Moab at the end of this month, 3k miles round trip, real cruise control will be nice.

Krasniewki mentioned Eastwood had a TIG welder on sale so I got one and made an aluminum skip plate. I don't think it came out too bad considering I've never welded aluminum.

[​IMG]
    Other progress - As per Dirt Freeak's post I got some exhaust wrap to protect the rear shock from heat soak. I've upgraded the front brake with a 320mm rotor.

I went on a short road trip this past weekend, all pavement, just to shake it down some more before the Moab trip. I'm really liking the extra passing power, no downshifting required. It's highway manners are very un-KLR like. Set the cruise at 75mph, kick back and enjoy the ride. Very little motor noise, much less vibration, power to spare.
    MSrider likes this.
  3. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    Vice nice! I have cruise control on all my bikes. It's a small bungie cord that came with one of my trail cameras. I just wrap it around the handlebar between the grip and the throttle housing. Works perfectly. Roll it on and off. Oh yeah, don't let anyone else ride your bike with it on there. They tend to freak out!

You've done some great work there KLRsys! That's an impressive bike!
  4. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the nice words, Sam. It's been a fun and challenging project but I'm ready to start using it for it's intended purpose, riding! BTW, I'm subcribed to your build thread and if there's anything I can do to help, pictures, measurements, brainstorming, please feel free to ask. I know you won't build yours just like mine anymore than I built mine just like Repsolrider's, but I certain got a lot of good ideas from his pictures.
  5. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I appreciate that. My build has taken a huge turn and I am basically starting over. A new frame is in the works for my bike now. I've figured out what I think is a better way (for me) to do it. That's not meant to take anything away from your build or any other KLRE650 build. I really like what you have done! One issue that I have had, that you didn't, is that my bike has KX450F inverted forks. There isn't room to gain enough steering lock to make the bike very off-road capable. The forks hit the fuel tank before getting enough lock for tight turns. It has a very limited turning radius. This makes it steer more like a big touring bike. This has been an issue since the bike was first modified with that suspension, back when it still had the stock KLR engine. Up until now, there has been no good way to get around that. Fortunately, I had an epiphony a few days ago. I believe that I have worked that out now.

My plan is to make the bike look like it has a stock frame. Of course, it will be anything but stock. The thin metal used on the KLR frame by Kawasaki also worries me, especially with the more powerful Versys engine. The new frame will address my frame concerns. I do plan to use a few things that I have seen from other builds. I particularly like what you did with the airbox connector box. That's a very cool idea! On repsolrider's build, he used a set of tubes as engine protector/crashbar/light mounts. That was a great use of the tubing for multiple purposes. Things that I would like to add include: canting the engine forward more, and changing the angle of the intake manifolds. A straight shot into the airbox is what I'd like to have with my throttle bodies. A closeup of your shift linkage would be great. I have not purchased a Versys shifter yet. That looks like the way to go.

The new frame will be here in a week or so, I'll post more in my thread as soon as I get something to show.

Thanks!
  6. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shift linkage. The pivot bolt on the shifter was also left footpeg mount for the Versys. I cut off the footpeg mount and had someone turn it in a lathe to clean it up. It's mounted to a fabricated 1/4" steel bracket that is bolted between the footpeg and frame. I had to shorten the link rod a lot and move the rear link rod connector to the inside. (In this picture the bracket attached to the engine is upside down).

I used the Versys parts because I already had them, but you might look around a bit and see if you can find a shift lever with a folding toe piece. My daughters XT250 has an identical arrangement though it is a bit short for a Versys tranny (not enough leverage, it's a firm shifting tranny), but I would guess there are other bikes with similar arrangements.

[​IMG]
  7. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since my last post, I've got the Progressive springs & shock in and adjusted, had an old set of aluminum panniers powder coated and mounted, put a larger windshield for the upcoming trip to UT, managed to get the original hand wind guards mounted and added a Powercommander with Autotune to help the ECU deal with the changes to the intake and exhaust. It was running pretty well but but it got lousy mileage, running too rich at highway speed, thus the powercommander. Out of the box I gained 6.5mpg and I think I can do better with some more tweaking. And I did the cheapo muffler mod I saw elsewhere on this forum where you drill out the "tweety" (baffle? spark arrestor?) and weld on a larger tailpipe. It is a bit louder but not much, still can't hear it at all at highway speeds.

Ready to travel... (I hope, 'cause I'm heading west this coming Saturday)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Added a USB charging port to the right of the ignition, powers the GPS and will charge my phone.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Dirt Freeak

Dirt Freeak Adventurer

Oddometer:

Just thought I would mention this: Air Bake Cookie sheets make REALLY effective heat shields (If you have the room): http://www.airbake.com/

I'm involved in building "Ultra 4" style off road race cars, and we use them around mufflers/ headers to help manage heat.
  9. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very cool idea! Thanks for sharing. I think I will try one of those between the side of the engine and the exhaust. I wrapped the exhaust near the shock but I didn't want to wrap the side, didn't like the look.
  10. dentedvw

dentedvw Where did I put that

Oddometer:
    Where are you headed in UT? If you are coming up near SLC, I would buy you lunch/dinner to get a good look at the KLRsys, because I am in awe. :freaky
  11. Ridin'nFishin

Ridin'nFishin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your bike looks great, well done!

Have a great trip and ride safe.
  12. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The tentative plan is to head for Moab, but it may change depending on weather, the bike, my mood, a better destination. I don't think I want to go as far as SLC but who knows and I certainly appreciate the offer.
  13. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I should be passing through SA Saturday, may stay in Boerne that evening.
  14. Ridin'nFishin

Oddometer:
    Would love to see your bike, I live on the north side and can meet you anywhere.
  15. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PM me contact info and I'll get in touch on the way up.
  16. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Road trip report. Saturday trailered the bike to San Antonio, didn't want to ride through all the rain TX was getting that day. Met up with Multisurface Rider in SA, enthusiastic fellow, hope to do some riding with him on the way back.

Sunday left Boerne TX about 10:30am. Went down I10 to Junction, then northwest towards Lubbock and over to Clovis NM. 7 1/2 hrs, 462mi. Nothing on the bike broke or fell off, no problems at all. Mileage was low 40's but I was not going slow. The GPS showed an average moving speed of 67.7mph for the trip and that includes several small towns at 35-45. I'm pretty happy with the bike so far. Tomorrow I think I'm heading towards Durango through Taos.
  17. Ridin'nFishin

Oddometer:
    Yes, I met him here in SA @ Moto Liberty, nice guy, great job on a great bike and it looked good also. He spent some time and money building this bike and addressed the air box issue that others used sock filters/foam, he built a box to connect to the stock airbox. Modified the stock muffler and it is not to loud and sounds real good.

I would love to do this but my welding skills are not that great. Next week on his way in I am going to meet him somewhere and do some riding in the Hill Country.

Great job! :clap

Ride safe.
  18. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    MSR

improve your welding skills, an hour or so for whatever number of nights it takes,find someone that can critique your welds, do destructive testing on the vise till you get it right, looks is secondary to a proper weld.
  19. falcn

falcn Squidless Soul Supporter

Oddometer:
    Someone know any corporate people at Kawi to send this build thread to them!?
    Hvymax likes this.
  20. MiniMotard

MiniMotard n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi KLRsys,

Very nice workmanship on your bike. I have a question for you. Did you consider mounting the Ninja radiator vertically in the stock KLR location? I've also noticed that the SuperRio bike had the rad. mounted in the same location as yours so I'm assuming there is a reason.

Thanks,