KLX 250 2018 Next Gen

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by asis, Nov 12, 2017.

1. asis

asis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Proud new owner of a 2018 KLX 250 and not sure how much if any info from the prior Gen will xover, figured I would start a specific thread.
    Anyone else blessed with this new bike yet?
    Truly is "New Rider Friendly" and tame as a Unicorn, but so much feels like my old KDX 200 suspension and handling wise.
    Only 15 miles on her so far so not even found a sweet spot but love the feel compared to my KLR 650 and much more what I am looking for.

So hope to find some others and wait and seek how to wake this lil beastly gal up in time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hannda, Seba1, elBeardo and 15 others like this.
  2. jimroid

jimroid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats! Enjoy your new ride!
    Hannda likes this.
  3. Tuffstreet

Tuffstreet n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about a 2018 KLX250 also. I'm on an xt250 it was my uncles who passed away had 1000 miles on it. I've enjoyed it but would like a little more bike. Interested to see what you think looks like awesome ride. Can you get an oversized tank for the KLX I want to ride the TAT next year and would like larger fuel capacity? You can't get any upgrades for xt
    w1956h likes this.
  4. 1wicked55

1wicked55 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool little bike. Is it efi or carb
  5. valvecrusher

valvecrusher tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer:
    Does the 'green wire trick' work on your U.S. model....

supposedly eliminates the Rev-limiter, and advances the spark(or something)
  6. asis

asis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So far I have not been able to find anything for upgrades not even protection...They just started delivering them last month and I likely have the first one on the road in Kansas. I don't know how much if any of the stuff for the old Gen will cross. It's 40 degrees in Kansas so kinda hard to get any mile on it, got 15 before I was an icicle. Did play around a bit in a dry creek bed and some berms and it sure is light and nimble. The "New Rider Friendly" is indeed spot on as it seems as tame as a Unicorn. Break in says not to exceed 4k RPM for 500 miles then DNE 6k RPM 500-1k miles :eek:.
    Not much more to report at this time, other than it does feel and look Good.
  7. asis

asis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    EFI, first year at least here in the states, the main reason I waited for it.
    hewmongus45 and Nomad Rider like this.
  8. kojack06

kojack06 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I suspect its largely the same as 2009 and beyond model. Anxious to hear from someone who rode the earlier version and can compare it to the newer FI version. I'm really glad Kawasaki brought this bike back even if its a "leftover" from other countries. We need more small affordable bikes to help younger riders get started.
  9. asis

asis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :D 15 miles so far, (40 degrees here) so I am no where near cutting wires, hitting redline or modifying anything....YET!!!
    Thanks for the link though this is the kind of info I will be looking for.
  10. asis

asis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That may not be a bad thing then there should be lots of info somewhere on getarounds to wake her up when the time comes.
    I have a KLR 650 and I was getting too aggressive with it...and I can NOT pick the damn thing up LOL! I am 54 now and only weigh a buck and a quarter, and rode a KDX 200 for several years in Washington state, other than any power band I have not looked for yet, this feels very much like it.
  11. kojack06

kojack06 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a 2007 KLX250 as a garage find in 2011. Had MotoPro in Washington state rebuild the suspension, added a Clark tank, new bars, etc and it has become one of my favorite bikes. I still have to open it up with a jetting kit and a new exhaust. Its no world beater but a fun bike to take on long back roads trips.
    Hannda, dmottv and Bitingdog like this.
  12. asis

asis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was looking at the older ones around my area but they were going for 3500+ Clean and low miles but still used, so when I found out these were coming out I held off. My first and likely only new rig ever so.

I had a chance to ride a 2017 CRF 250 this summer around the block basically, this seems pretty close to that but then again, I have not had the chance to open either of them up...YET! Plan on getting back with that rider and do some comparison next summer.
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I'm sure the old model skid plate fits.
  14. SonOfTheGriz

SonOfTheGriz Dirt Ninja Pilot

Oddometer:
    Congrats!!
    I’ve been following this bike since the re-release announcement earlier this year. It looks like the perfect plated (relatively) inexpensive fun / dirt / trail bike. Seems like a great balance between what holds me back on the other contenders with respect to cost (WR250), technology (DR-Z400), and suspension (CRF-250).

I’m just hoping that 250cc won’t feel too dogged on longer days in the mountains and that it’ll take a bit of luggage without complaining. If it does, it could be a great second machine.

I’ve noticed a couple companies are starting to put out racks and parts said to work with the 2018 models and am guessing we will hopefully see a bit more support later into next year.

Thanks for pulling this thread together, looking forward to updates!
    Hannda and Nomad Rider like this.
  15. asis

asis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The manual says max load including rider, passenger, gear and accessories not to exceed 399# :O I imagine if you can get it strapped on, it should haul it NP ;)
    SonOfTheGriz likes this.
  16. SonOfTheGriz

SonOfTheGriz Dirt Ninja Pilot

Oddometer:
    And as long as the bulk of the weight is over the seat and not cantilevered off the back of the subframe too far it should be OK.

Thanks!
    White mt guy likes this.
  17. asis

asis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unseasonably warm day of 75 degrees today in Kansas so, I bailed out of work early for 50 mile romp off pavement. Technical stuff is few and far between in these parts so just some minimum maintenance roads in the Flint Hills. First time out of town and even over 6k RPM which gets you 55-60MPH. Anything under 5k she is a bit mopedish :1drink @ 6k she just starts to pay attention and starts nibbling at the bit @ 7k. Hit about 8200 RPM/78MPH into a gusting 20-30 mph wind. Wind and loose gravel really make a difference it seems, at least compared to my KLR. She handles the gravel just fine but just dances a bit more and the wind does make a big difference in comparison. (it is a 250 after all)
    Some small hills and a few jumps, she likes to fly, launches easily and lands like a butterfly.
    Still getting used to a new machine and new boots and the whole 9 but, I have little doubt she is gonna be a fun ride!:rayof :ricky
    Hannda, w1956h, FJ Fun and 2 others like this.
  18. Wolvie

Wolvie n00b

Oddometer:
    I had a 10 KLX250S and let it get away. Since it is still a 2g tank I was hoping the fuel injection improves the range a bit. Most likely it will improve cold starts and will still need a rack and a 2g Rotopax.
  19. ScottNJ

ScottNJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have read a few reviews on this bike, and so far they've all been positive. I'm interested in it because it is said to have less weight and better suspension (but less power) than the Honda CRF250L.
    When I got back into motorcycles about 7 years ago, I bought a Super Sherpa, and it was the perfect bike for me at that time. Low seat, decent weight, good handling. I ran a few enduros with it, then moved up to a Husky TE310, and sold the Sherpa. I kind of regretted it. The Husky was great but had some quirks and reliability issues. This revised KLX will suit what I want to do just fine.
    Has anyone seen any articles comparing it to the Honda yet?
  20. Wolvie

Wolvie n00b

Oddometer:
    I don't think the Honda has more power. They're going to be very comparable. From personal experience, I believe the KLX to be more reliable in the valves and top end. Sounds like more adjustable suspension too.