KLX 250 2018 Next Gen

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by asis, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Thunderbutt

Thunderbutt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another great video! I noticed you have short levers on your bike now. Hoping to be reunited with my bike next week, I'm sure i will be replacing levers, turn signals and such in the near future. Where did you source your levers from?
  2. san1k

san1k Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where do you store the fuel on your bike? With your gear and fuel on the back, do you worry about to much weight on the subframe?

Thanks.
  3. AloneInTheHills

AloneInTheHills Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I need more than 150 miles of range, I use the setup below. Desert Fox 6L fuel bag [the brown canvas bag] (with or without the GL panniers that are on for overnight trips) on the rear rack. The rack on my bike ties nicely down to the rear passenger pegs mounts, so I'm not worried about a big load hanging off the subframe since it's braced to the frame creating better distribution. I've ridden this setup reasonably hard with no issues. The handling in sand will be a bit squirrelly if you don't have enough rear preload on the shock, otherwise it handles perfectly.

Resized_20200329_103103(1)(1).jpeg
    Jedi2Rider and ag_streak like this.
  4. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, you just manually pour from the bag to the tank when you run low? You get any spillage usually?
  5. AloneInTheHills

Oddometer:
    The desert fox bags come with a little spigot that is kept in a pocket on canvas bag. I put mine in a thin plastic bag to keep dust off, but even without it's pretty protected. So no spillage.

If I know I'm going over what my 3gal tank can do, then once I'm 70 or so miles into the ride and stopped for a break anyway, I'll dump the fuel from the bag into the tank. So basically once you have room for that fuel in the tank and you're stopped anyway it's a quick thing to do.
    Jedi2Rider likes this.
  6. twaldron

twaldron Dudeman

Oddometer:
  7. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh I see! You have a carbed model with a big tank! Nice!

My stock EFI version gets 70 mpg under ideal conditions. What about the carbed models?
  8. RC Pilot

RC Pilot Shut up and fly!

Oddometer:
    My 2018 consistently get 60mpg. Speedo is corrected so mpg is more accurate.
  9. san1k

san1k Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the reply. Looks good.
  10. AloneInTheHills

Oddometer:
    My '13 carbed model does an average of 55mpg with it rejetted, full exhaust, and geared down in aggressive riding (80% off road). Around town it does over 60mpg.
  11. san1k

san1k Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I get about 60-ish. I have a pretty long trip coming up (hopefully) in September. Some of the sections are around 200 miles.

Trying not to take my Tiger if I can figure out the fuel on the KLX.
  12. Jedi2Rider

Jedi2Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rotopax 1 gal or 1.75 gal (not much bigger dimensions) on your rear rack, or even better on a side pannier like Dirt Racks with your soft luggage outboard of that.
  13. san1k

san1k Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a rotopax 1 1/2.

I am not sure if it was here or the FB forum, but I've seen a few posts about that much weight on the back end causing damage to the subframe. Not sure if it's true or they were well overloaded.

I'm still considering it or a smaller and lighter gas can.
  14. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also, if there is a real need for a rotopax, empty early and get rid of that weight.
    Jedi2Rider likes this.
  15. Jedi2Rider

Jedi2Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    True dat!
  16. Eric B

Eric B Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use an MSR dromedary bag(10L) for long distances between gas. They are not for gas, of course, but it worked on 4 trips in Baja. Rolls up fairly small when not in use. It outgases fumes though, so I put in a ziplock, and strapped on, outside the luggage. Lashing a bag of liguid securely took some trial & error. The Drom has lots of lash holes.
    https://www.msrgear.com/water-treatment/storage-bags/dromedary-bags/dromedary-bags.html
    san1k likes this.
  17. san1k

san1k Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Funny, I was looking at this last night. Thanks for the tip.
  18. Eric B

Eric B Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sure thing. Enjoy your trip.
  19. Thunderbutt

Thunderbutt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Spent the afternoon working on the orphan.
    First order of business was to replace the stock 5.5 rear shock spring with a new 6.6 I bought from one of our members. Side by side for comparison 20200629_124647.jpg and an installed pic after adjusting the sag. Set the compression and damping at 10-6 , just about mid way for each. 20200629_161335.jpg
    And just to top things off installed the new skid plate and luggage rack to carry the beverages. 20200629_161209.jpg
  20. dhollenberg

dhollenberg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought my new KLX on 5/8/20. The only thing I’ve added so far are Precision racks. Rear and side. Everything else is still stock. I’ve put a little over 2,500 miles on it. After having a few days where I’ve ridden hundreds of miles, my next investment for it will be a better seat. Probably Seat Concepts. Otherwise, it seems like a nice a nice bike.
    V0R2G0 likes this.