KLX 250 2018 Next Gen

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by asis, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Topher749

Topher749 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I finally finished part 2 of what’s turning into a 3 part video.

Astraphobia (Pt2) - A dual sport ride with Mac, Rick from Cogent Dynamics and myself.
    ag_streak and AZ TOM like this.
  2. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Supporter

Oddometer:
    @markk53 , @Topher749 and others...

I e-mailed a link to the MCM instructions, the Bill Blue big bore kit, and the Dobeck EJK to my mechanic and got labor prices to do all the work. I have a 2019 EFI.

My question is, what would y'all recommend for the order I have them done? Should I start with cam changes and ride it for awhile before deciding if I want the big bore kit? Should the EJK be installed the same time as the MCM mods?

Also, Bill Blue offers a 300, 331, and 351. Seems like they're all pretty close. Are there any reasons not to go with the biggest?

Thank you for any advice you could provide! This forum is indispensable!
  3. Thunderbutt

Thunderbutt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Depends on what your plans are for the bike and how much money you want to throw at it. If you are generally satisfied with the power but would like a little more mid range torque, you can do the MCM....and that doesn't cost anything. Or, add a new exhaust system for a few extra ponies for a couple hundred bucks.
    If you plan on keeping the bike and want more HP and torque, and don't mind throwing some money at it, you can go the BB 351 route. There is plenty of documentation here from guys who have gone this route so you would not be the test canary.
    Personally if I were going for a big bore kit I would spend the extra and get the BB351, Barker exhaust, and EJK. You would be looking at 29HP. How often do you hear anyone say "this bike just makes too much power".
  4. dazz

dazz 1947 Famous James

Oddometer:
    I don't know what year my first KLX was but it was kick start. Never gave me trouble starting unless I was at the bottom of a hill. Now that I'm over 70 I ride mostly on back roads. I got shorter! Anyone have any information on Lust lowering links? Is there a better option? I have a 2020 camo. Maybe one inch would be enough but they sell two inch ones also. Would two inch lowering links put the back too low even if I raise the forks an inch? I need a soft short bike! I have a DRZ and KTM if I need to get more aggressive. Thanks .
  5. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, get some flat stock steel of the right thickness and make your own. Seems 2" is about the max. Support your bike under the frame with a jack, having the rear tire just touching the floor. Then remove the stock links, lower the jack the distance you want, then measure the distance from the two link mount points. Drill the flat stock to suit, cut/grind it to the shape on the ends that you want, paint, and bolt on. I've known a number of people who have done this. Mild steel will do the trick and definitely strong enough.
  6. norton73

norton73 drinkin' Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. dazz

dazz 1947 Famous James

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Charlie Kouba took care of me. Only $80, free shipping, no tax. Various sizes. Good product, I've used them before.

Kouba Links.
  8. Carl Childers

Carl Childers Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer:

Good point you got there Ranger!
  9. Buttchip

Buttchip Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rode the KLX to work today. Put on a new tail rack and bag. 20200720_112439.jpg
    3bangin, NC Rick, RC Pilot and 2 others like this.
  10. Topher749

Oddometer:
    Just uploaded this one... Part 3:

Part 1:

Part 2:
  11. Thunderbutt

Thunderbutt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Toph thanks again for taking us along for the ride. You guys sure do find some great trails to ride on.
    Topher749 and NC Rick like this.
  12. Topher749

Oddometer:
    Thanks Thunderbutt. Here's a new one Suicide Mission Pt1 This one kicked all of our butts.

Robotaz likes this.
  13. Topher749

Oddometer:
    Suicide Mission Pt 2

NC Rick likes this.
  14. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    That there was a RIDE! Too bad the camera dies after Mac's issue. I think I may have some heckling video from the top. No DR content there, going though that with the DR would be a full fledged expedition :D

thanks for posting, it looks pretty tame by the video.. will have to go back when it's cooler.
  15. dazz

dazz 1947 Famous James

Oddometer:
    So has anyone tried the Seat Concepts seat? How is the regular comfort seat? Thinking about it for my 2020.
  16. ag_streak

Oddometer:
    I have the low version. It's great, but I have a 33 inch inseam and would prefer the standard height. Definitely worth the money, IMHO...
    dazz and 250senuf like this.
  17. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have one on my '09, love it. I've read nothing but good comments about the Seat Concepts seats. Good investment.
    TheHeretic, dazz and ag_streak like this.
  18. Topher749

Oddometer:

19. ag_streak

Oddometer:
    Y'all notice that the stock front brake line seems way too short? I ordered a +3" custom braided stainless line from Spiegler just now, and I want to share what I learned. I hope it helps if anyone has the same issue and needs to order a longer line.

[​IMG]

That is almost completely straight (horizontal) from the master. I think it needs to go more like this below, to better move with the suspension compressing.

[​IMG]

Also, the top of the stiffener is right at the top guide. It has an angle/bend where I don't think there should be one, and it seems to be causing abrasion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Strange, but neither Galfer nor Spiegler had any info on the front brake line for the KLX250 beyond 2011! The guy on the phone at Galfer gave me the specs for the 2011 version, and I looked up the part numbers for the 2011, and my 2019.

2011 Front brake line Part # 43095-0442
    2019 Front brake line Part # 43095-0687

The guy on the phone at Spiegler said the first 5 numbers matching does NOT indicate they're the same, but based on the 2011 specs, I think they are.

56" overall length (eye to eye)
    21" stiffener
    20 degree banjo at the caliper
    40 degree banjo at the master
    M10 x 1.25 (pitch) bolts

So I measured my line and checked the banjos, and everything seems to match. So I ordered a 59" (+3") with a 23" stiffener/abrasion tube starting 17" from the bottom banjo bolt hole.

That's where this clamp at the bottom of the stiffener begins. So the 23" stiffener I ordered, starting at the same point, should extend 2" higher than the upper guide where the chafing seems to be happening.

[​IMG]

Bottom banjo is 20 degrees.

[​IMG]

Top banjo is 40 degrees, but Spiegler only has them in 45 degrees. That'll do.

[​IMG]
    koh kood likes this.
  20. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks to me like the banjo at the master cylinder is in bad position. Fully extended the hose should pretty much be direct line straight to the left from the reservoir. Having it raised as it is will tug on the hose as you see. Under tension it will get damaged, as it has. If it was straight to the left it would flex as it should when the suspension compresses. There is room for it in spite of the hand guard attachment to the bars. But without seeing the bike and really checking that is merely a speculation based on photos.