1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

KLX 250 2018 Next Gen

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by asis, Nov 12, 2017.

1. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'll try that until the new line comes in. But it seems like it might add a more severe kink/bend in the line where it exits the top guide...
  2. AloneInTheHills

AloneInTheHills Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To prevent chafing of the line on the button head in the hand guards, I 3rd printed a little guard that is countersunk. It doesn't even wear the electrical tape I put there to protect it. I also had the fear of the forks going full compression and the line snagging over the handguard (unlikely since it gets pushed forward).

I'm running a bit over 1" bar risers.

20200325_113022.jpg
    ag_streak likes this.
  3. ag_streak

Oddometer:
    That's cool! What are the things clamped to the crossbar? Did you make them too?
  4. AloneInTheHills

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Yeah, so I have two things clamped to the bars. The big one with the little lock on it is a locking mount I designed and printed for my Garmin GPSMap 64. It's printed in ABS so someone could rip it out if they really tried, but if prevents walkoff easy thefts, for example if I need go in a store, grab lunch, or take a quick hike.

The other thing is a printed bracket for an analog volt meter (0-1V). I have a carbed '13 model KLX, but I had a bung put in the exhaust I ordered and run a single wire narrow band O2 sensor. It's not as accurate as a wide band AFR meter, but gives me a pretty good idea what the carb is doing in real time. It's actually accurate enough that a can see things like if the slide is fluttering around a bit, but mostly it's to make sure I'm not running lean.

There's a few other printed pieces on there, but I've lost track. I know I did a custom license plate bracket, because I bobbed the rear fender.
    ag_streak likes this.
  5. dazz

dazz Falling off motorcycles for over 55 years.

Oddometer:
    So I'm ordering a seat. My choices are KLX 250 S or KLX250 SF. My owners manual says KLX250 SL. What's up with that? What's an SL?
  6. Pete S

Pete S Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My service manual covers 2009-2018 KLX250 and D-TRACKER X. On the back cover they show the years and models. My 2018 is listed as KLX250SJ, I imagine that 2019 was KLX250SK and 2020 is KLX250SL.

My Sargent seat was listed as follows: World Sport Performance Seat Kawasaki KLX 250-S (09+), 250-SF (09+), CarbonFX/Topstitch, Regular Height
  7. AloneInTheHills

Oddometer:
    I believe the SF is the supermoto and the others are the more offroad with 21" front. My '13 I believe is a technically a 250T, but everyone would refer to it as a 250S.
  8. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the general designation was S for dual sport, SF for supermoto. Not sure what the seat difference would be since both used the same seat base and probably covers since the S and SF designation were on the side cover stickers.
  9. Smopho

Smopho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are drag pans, circle track pans, and road track pans that you can buy for most any sized racing motor. Each has specific baffling and oil pickup locations to eliminate starvation. In drag racing, it is unlikely you will find anything running in 10s or better not using one.
    markk53 and lpfm1990 like this.
  10. codys

codys Lost in the Vizcaino

Oddometer:
    Question on ejk tuner. I’m sure someone has covered it in the 134 pages but I haven’t found it yet. 2018’with fmf megabomb header, q4 fmf can and what I believe is a Kdx intake (larger). Curious of settings other owners are using. It runs pretty good in my opinion but I like to tinker. Thx
  11. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I remember right, not to mention trap doors in the baffles to allow flow one way and virtually stop flow the other way. Keeps oil able to flow to the pick up, but not be forced away by acceleration in the wrong direction.
  12. koh kood

koh kood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could someone please suggest some aluminum hand guards for a 2019 KLX 250? I tried to fit my Acerbis hand guards from my old DR650 but there just isn't enough room.
    I took the steel handlebars off and replaced them with 7/8" CR High aluminum bars.
  13. Thunderbutt

Thunderbutt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had Barkbusters on my 2018. Nice coverage and very strong. Dufuss tested and approved......
    And mine had the billet pinch bolt mounts on the upper fork mount which added to the strength and kept the bars clear 20200629_161531.jpg
    Xchemie, norton73 and ag_streak like this.
  14. koh kood

Oddometer:
    Thank you. They look ideal. You wouldn't happen to remember the model number of the barkbusters?
  15. dazz

dazz Falling off motorcycles for over 55 years.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input on my soon to be delivered Seat Concept. I am not removing snorkel, stock pipe, no Jesse bags, no hand guards, no windshield. Stock fuel tank. I'm riding it like it is. I've got other machines to do the other jobs. Simple question if anyone pretty much has the same bike: How many miles after the fuel light comes on before it drifts to a stop at moderate riding and altitude? No big deal. Thank you guys for your input. Happy trails to you.
  16. ag_streak

Oddometer:
    That's gonna vary, and I haven't run it dry, but it's not much at all. I would estimate 25-30 miles tops, if that.

YMMV (literally!) :lol3
  17. Thunderbutt

Thunderbutt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Koh kood, they came with the bike when I bought it (used). Pretty sure they are standard Barkbusters for the KLX250, and the billet triangular pieces are from Billet Racing Products. I liked them so much on the lil kaw I just ordered some for my Beta.
  18. koh kood

Oddometer:
    Thunderbutt, thank you for the information.
  19. ag_streak

Oddometer:
    Got my +3" stainless front brake line installed. I spec'ed it out with Spiegler for total length, angles of the banjos (to match stock) and the length and location of the stiffener. Came out perfect and eliminates the chaffing I was getting with the stock line. You can see in the second picture that the stiffener/protector extends well through the upper guide.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before:

[​IMG]
    Zniper and norton73 like this.
  20. Topher749

Topher749 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ag_streak likes this.