1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

KLX 250 2018 Next Gen

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by asis, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Thunderbutt

Thunderbutt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Toph what you been up to lately? I truly miss your videos.
  2. Topher749

Topher749 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Thunderbutt. Been super busy at work, home school, etc. I also hurt my finger crashing my MTB a couple weeks ago so haven't been riding. I am editing a Dual Sport ride with @NC Rick, @Mongle and @Rusty Rocket that we did a few weeks ago. Mostly forest service and street. It was a memorial ride for @thump! who passed away in May. I hope to have it up by the weekend.

I never realized how long it takes these YouTube creators to publish their stuff.

Hope all is well.

Toph
  3. Andocalrisian

Andocalrisian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A4DBAD9E-F31A-4C98-8143-089CCEA68D48.jpeg DDE1161A-B14A-469D-AC24-0EB0391AE71D.jpeg E99C48CB-5A03-4C91-9337-CDA65A0D109B.jpeg 224C5002-4A3A-45B5-99CF-4DDE4F86C71B.jpeg No videos to share but snapped a couple pics from a recent 6 day trip to the interior of BC. Some of the most fun I’ve had on 2 wheels. That little bike took everything I threw at it.
  4. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    ag_streak likes this.
  5. Topher749

Oddometer:
    Latest Video.

Memorial Ride for thump!

6. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow! an easy, mellow ride for once! :clap You guys are usually doing terrain that scares the crap out of me!

I really enjoy your videos, Chris! :thumb Thanks!
    TxGhostrider, Topher749 and NC Rick like this.
  7. Topher749

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Means a lot!

It was a pretty mellow ride but lots of fun. Cool backroads, miles of FSR’s, good friends and lots of stories! Can’t get much better than that.
    ag_streak and NC Rick like this.
  8. Thunderbutt

Thunderbutt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Always enjoy your videos. I was beginning to wonder if you guys were on hiatus healing up from your last excursions haaaaaa!
    Thanks again for taking us along, keep up the good work!
    Topher749 and ag_streak like this.
  9. Zniper

Zniper Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. ICT DS RDR

ICT DS RDR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi. New 2020 KLX250 rider, and I am not sure if this is the correct place to post two questions about my new ride.

First, I am trying to locate the proper bolt torque for the four triple clamps bolts. I installed a set of Barkbusters, and have been unable to locate the correct torque for these bolts. BTW, I am very happy with how rigid the arms feel attached to the triple clamp.

Next, I am curious how often I need to clean and oil the chain. My last several bikes have all been shaft drive, so I have not had much experience with chain maintenance. The manual states to clean/inspect/lubricate chain maintenance every 400 miles, but I was wondering if it needs to be done more frequently if primarily riding dry/dusty roads.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

11. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nah, with an O-ring chain that is way too often unless you want to undercoat the bike on the left side. If you don't pressure wash the chain it will last 15,000 miles with terrible neglect - I speak from experience. Shoot some lube on it every now and again to keep it from rusting. The O-rings seal lube in at the pins which are the major wear joints and as they wear the chain lengthens - aka chain stretch.

Go to the Kawasaki forum - click here - I think there is a thread where the manual can be found. They are on line and can be downloaded without cost if you look. Shooting from the hip, probably 8-10 ft-lb (96 in-lb to 120 in-lb), but look it up.
    Xchemie and ag_streak like this.
  12. RC Pilot

RC Pilot Shut up and fly!

Oddometer:
    Will try and remember to check the manual for the bolt torque when I get home.

As to the chain; the owners manual is just a base line suggestion. It really depends on the riding you do. I would err on the side of to often rather than to neglect the chain. O rings do keep lube in the pins, periodic chain lubing helps keep the rings pliable.

I installed one of these for lubing. https://www.cameleonoiler.com/
    Pretty much will not own a chain drive bike without one. I have the Plus version on both bikes, but would suggest the One version for the KLX as the vibes from the KLX tend to trigger the “off road” mode fairly frequently. The One does not have that mode.

I can tell you that the lubers ( with periodic chain cleaning ) really do extend the life of the chain and sprockets.
  13. ICT DS RDR

ICT DS RDR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Markk53.

I appreciate your quick reply.

I will hold off on the chain cleaning/lubrication for a while. Glad to know the chain is designed to retain lube.

I will also check the Kawasaki forum for the link to the manual.

Thanks again.
  14. ICT DS RDR

ICT DS RDR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you, RC Pilot.

I will check out the chain oiler in your link.

Thanks again.
  15. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    In the KLX650 thread a comment was made to run the breather hose over to the chain and let it drip and blow on the chain. Interesting thought there...
  16. Madmartigan

Madmartigan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Upper bolts, 15 ftlbs.
    Lower bolts, 18 ftlbs.
  17. ICT DS RDR

ICT DS RDR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Madmartigan.

I appreciate the torque figures. I will get the torque wrench out and check the bolts.

Thanks again.
  18. ICT DS RDR

ICT DS RDR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried the Coleman ATV seat cover on their KLX? Looking into a Seat Concepts replacement seat, but the lead time is 6 - 8 weeks. Need something to make the seat more comfortable for rides longer than 60 minutes.
  19. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd recommend trying one of those "3D mesh" seat covers first. I don't think an ATV-type pad would stay put very long, unless you make some custom straps or something. Those mesh covers fit tight and are really cheap. They do collect a lot of dirt though.
  20. RC Pilot

RC Pilot Shut up and fly!

Oddometer:
    I cannot say enough good things about the Sargent for the KLX. Pricey, but for me, it is worth every penny spent. When asked how I like it, I reply with what I feel is the best compliment a seat can get; “ I never think about it.”
    ag_streak likes this.