1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

KLX 250 2018 Next Gen

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by asis, Nov 12, 2017.

1. ICT DS RDR

ICT DS RDR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rode two-plus hours both yesterday and today with new seat cover. While not as comfortable as an after market seat, it was better than stock seat. On previous rides, an hour was about as long as I could go without pretty serious discomfort. Still expect to replace seat with either Seat Concepts or Sargent seat, but this cover provides a reasonable short-term solution.
    norton73 likes this.
  2. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have had my 2020 for about three months now. I'm at just under 2000 miles on it. So far I have added a rear rack (PMR), pegs, skid plate (Ricochet off road), bars risers and tank bag. (And of course an ADV sticker:D) I have a temporary bag on the back with my tool kit. I tried a mesh seat cover but it was not that much of an improvement. The stock seat sucked and I was doing rides of around 250 miles.......my ass didn't like that.

I got a used Seat concepts seat and it was a huge improvement over stock. 250+ mile rides are no longer a problem.

I'll be needing to replace the rear tire before to long. I'm pretty happy with the stock D605. The other option for me is the Shinko 244 but I think I'll get another D605.

[​IMG]
    motocopter, ag_streak and norton73 like this.
  3. madmonkey

madmonkey Ninja Monkey

Oddometer:
    That’s a great improvement then; I put a Seat Concepts comfort on mine- huge improvement but it’s still a relatively narrow motorcycle seat so on longer rides you will start to get uncomfortable. It’s just that it takes longer before discomfort sets in.
  4. DangerousDan

DangerousDan Danger Dan

Oddometer:
    I thought the 605 was a very good 50/50 tire, probably the best stock tire in the class. Still though, I moved over to Kenda K270 because from what I hear, they last a little longer with just as good of performance.
  5. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had Kenda 270s on my DR250. I wouldn't recommend then. They suck on the pavement and wore out quickly. I got 2K out of a rear 270. The 605 on my KLX will probably last for around 2500-3000 miles. I ran Shinko 244s on my KLR. They were pretty good all around tires and were good for 3500-4500 on the rear and a little longer on the front.
  6. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking at buying... something. KLX250 looks cool. I'm old and beat up, so how are the vibes and the ride on tis bike? Just looking to ride slow backroads, gravel and some very easy trails.
  7. jimmy650

jimmy650 South Canol Racing Club

Oddometer:
    Runs like a sewing machine... very smooth.
    Pete S and 250senuf like this.
  8. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also old and beat up here. DO IT! I have the '09 KLX, this new gen has FI, a step up.
  9. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. I have a '95 DR250 I keep up at our cottage and I love riding it. It's light with good suspension and all the power I need. I thought one of the new 250's would be even better and from what I've read the KLX should be just that.

Two years ago I got to ride a CRF250L for almost half a day and I was disappointed. The engine felt soft compared to my DR, (I think it should have been geared a bit lower which probably would have helped), and the suspension was pretty mediocre. Felt heavy too. Sorry, I know lots of guys love that bike, it just wasn't for me. But with fully adjustable suspension, I'm thinking the KLX will give the good ride ride and handling I'd like with the convenience of FI.

But I'm kind of on the fence at the moment. Also like the Royal Enfield Himalayan for it's possibly better on-road manners. I worry about its reliability vs a Japanese bike though.
  10. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    KLX has some hop ups and suspension can be upgraded without replacement, plus big bore possibilities that are proven now. I'm 67 and enjoying the 250, but have a 300 kit waiting for install and a flat slide. This winter, heat in the shop, should happen.
    Xchemie likes this.
  11. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the beauty of a single, not too hard to work on and modify. I'd probably be OK with the stock power though - I'm 140# and not into speed anymore. Just like to ride around on backroads and enjoy the sights and smells.
    250senuf likes this.
  12. DangerousDan

DangerousDan Danger Dan

Oddometer:
    You will find that the klx250 is roughly equivalent to the CRF250L in power, but vastly better in suspension.
  13. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's what I was hoping. I don't know what the gearing is on the KLX but am I safe to assume that dropping a tooth on the CS sprocket will get a little extra poke if needed?
  14. DangerousDan

DangerousDan Danger Dan

Oddometer:
    Yes, a ton of us on this forum (myself included) all dropped to a 13 tooth. It's a bigger improvement than it has any right to be.
  15. Jedi2Rider

Jedi2Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    jimroid, Xchemie and ag_streak like this.
  16. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If they don't do a KLX300S, they should have their butts kicked

Edited to reflect the street model, not the R off road model.
  17. DangerousDan

DangerousDan Danger Dan

Oddometer:
    There already is a KLX 300
  18. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which is an off-road model, although it might be able to "street legal" it in some jurisdictions.
  19. Jedi2Rider

Oddometer:
    Right, the article (and my vague reference) was speculating that the KLX250 would be upgraded to a 300, since the 300 engine was already back in production.
  20. Jedi2Rider

Oddometer:
    Agree 100% on the butt kicking! Would make the bike more competitive in the market with the DR-Z, with the advantage of lighter weight, FI, and better handling in the tight stuff...and of course, the Black Camo. All things being equal, I would prefer a factory 300 to an aftermarket 351, but if they don't come out with the 300, then happy to do the 351--seems to be rock solid.
    Xchemie and norton73 like this.