KLX 650 Adventure bike or hard failure ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by NilsNitro, Sep 19, 2019.

1. NilsNitro

NilsNitro n00b

Oddometer:
    Norway / Austria / UK / And everywhere else
    Good morning lads and ladettes,

I just bought my first duel sport (had plenty of sportbikes and sport-tourers) and have done several long-range travels on them (on asphalt) and with cars (every type of ground found on the face of the earth) around the world. And I happily just bought my first Kawasaki 1994 KLX 650 C with 30k km on the clock, that I planned to rig to travel from the UK/Norway to Mongolia and roam a bit around in the Pamir highway.

What appealed to me with the bike was the steel perimeter frame and steel swingarm long suspension etc (and the HORRIBLE seat!). But after trying to find the few alive treads on the internett I turn less optimistic about my choice. This is due to some say the top can explode without warning and it has heating problems (Even though it has two radiators).

So my questions come up:
    Is this bike doomed to failure, should I get rid of it and buy something else?
    Does anyone have long-range travel experience with this bike?
    What should I upgrade on the bike (I'm above average mechanical and have done complete engine rebuilds, motorcycle refurbishes etc)

(I've already managed to acquire the mythical larger Acerbris tank for the bike)

I just want to hear some updated opinions before I pour my money into the bike.

Thanks for the help!
  2. Alaskajeff

Alaskajeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess it all depends on how hard & long you plan to ride it. 30K is decent mileage for it's age, has there been any engine work done to it?
  3. NilsNitro

NilsNitro n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the response

I'm a beginner on the all-terrain motorcycle segment so I would presume I would go slow and steady in the challenging parts and maintain a 90-100 kmh cruise speed at the transport sections and I have never been a wheelie kind of guy. I have no idea if there has been done anything with the engine except for the clutch, cam chain tensioner and valve adjustments (I'm planning to open her up and take a look at the cylinder walls etc)
  4. Bell driver

Bell driver Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. NilsNitro

NilsNitro n00b

Oddometer:
  6. webmonstro

webmonstro A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer:
    Long distance is up to the rider . People have gone big distances on all sorts of bikes .