KLX300R New dualsport?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by iceburg7, Apr 20, 2020.

1. iceburg7

iceburg7 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve read some good reviews about this bike , good low end power and feels light . I wonder how hard it would be to make it into a dualsport?
  2. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:

Do you not consider it a dual sport then
  3. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    eakins and iceburg7 like this.
  4. JohnE65c

JohnE65c Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It would make a great dualsport IMO, with an aftermarket lighting kit. The biggest obstacle is that states like Florida, and ? how many others mandate these types of bikes to be titled as "For Off Road Use Only". Once that's on a title, it's extremely difficult to get a tag/registration without re-titling in a more lenient state. YMMV in Idaho.
    iceburg7 likes this.
  5. skywalker714

skywalker714 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought the same thing, I just converted my 19 450x and I believe it is better than the L. I had a built 286 Honda the Kawasaki is a 300,
    Lighter and better suspension. I think it would make great dualsport. I think you should build it.
    iceburg7 likes this.
  6. iceburg7

iceburg7 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use to have a KLX300R it was a 2001 model.
  7. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 motominded

Oddometer:
    4KKRJEX5ZCF5VDJXDEAR62QHWE.jpg
    WolfNman likes this.
  8. Clem Kevin

Clem Kevin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just saw the wet weight of this bike. What a let down after being stoked on everything I had read up to that point.
    JohnE65c likes this.
  9. JohnE65c

JohnE65c Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep. And the worst part is that if Kawi were to build that 300 fully street legal, it would weigh on the heavy side of 300#.
  10. skywalker714

Oddometer:
    That’s why you build your own. Dual sports are built heavier. True it not light but it built for the long haul and should make a good bike.
  11. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    The R models hold less gas, part of the weight savings.
    No brackets for passenger pegs, lights, no sub frame, no instruments at all.

Why not try and plate a motocross bike if you are going to do all that work...
  12. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    It would be heavy like the WR250R & CRF250L.

You can't have cheaper, overbuilt and lighter.
  14. skywalker714

Oddometer:
    I have converted many a Mx. they suck. The wt saving will not offset the gearing, suspension. Fuel range no lighting. Start with enduro. I only spent $150.00 on parts to title my 450x. I will spend more [the fun part. I added a windshield and made a fairing

Attached Files:

Jedi2Rider likes this.
  15. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The next door neighbor kid (16 years old) has a new 2020 KLX300R and I have a 2015 WR450F along with the power tuner. I've ridden both bikes back to back. Even though the KLX is 9 pounds heavier (282 vs 273), the KLX feels lighter. Don't know why this is. Even though my bike costs almost twice what his does and has better suspension, he leaves me in the dust on the trails on my property. He's been riding 3 years and I've been riding 50. Of course I'm 65 years old. For a dual sport, the KLX has enough power for anything on dirt, but on pavement I really like more power, especially at the high altitudes of Colorado. I have much more fun on faster bikes when on pavement. I've owned lots of dual sports, and I've found anything below 350 cc to not be enough power for a dual sport bike when on pavement, especially when climbing a paved high mountain pass in Colorado.
  16. GB_Jim

GB_Jim n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is the new one FI? I think the advantage of the 300R is its size, gearing and low-end torque. My 2001 was fantastic on the tight woods trails around here. It was so easy to control precisely and a good climber. Powerful enough in those conditions. Out in the open I'd get left for dead, but a great bike for non-experts in the woods. As a dual-sport, forget it. The gearing that makes it great off-road is totally wrong for dual sporting. At least with that transmission.
  17. Uncle-roby

Uncle-roby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It would be a nice dual sport as it has a robust motor and it si not so specced, thus not good for racing but good for having fun off-road.
    Then it would have the right price.
    In Italy the old KLX300R model was street legal and a perfect light dual sport.
  18. ineptizoid

ineptizoid I'm scared hold me

Oddometer:
    I had a dualsported (tagged/titled, Baja Designs light kit) KLX300 about 10 yrs ago, it was a fantastic bike for 90/10 dirt/street use. With 13-50 sprockets, it was great offroad but not highway capable, as top speed was ~60mph, plus full knobbies don't wear well on pavement. With 15-45 gearing and Pirelli MT-21s or similar, it would've been a fantastic true dualsport IMO. Never got to try that setup however, as I ran the bike really hard into a downed tree and bent the frame pretty good. Bent myself up pretty good, too:umph
  19. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    if you want to FI the bike. Get it touch with someone in Thailand. They have pulled the FI off to carb them, the 351 kit is popular there.
  20. CheapoWes

CheapoWes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 450X and the 450L are the same thing but with road bits on the L(speedo,light kit,metal gas tank,etc) which ad a bit of weight. As a matter of fact the 450X has been made since 2008 and other than having a carb is basically the same as your bike.