Koh Samet, Thailand

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Lingmayoma, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Lingmayoma

Lingmayoma Ho hum

Oddometer:
    Hi

I know there are no car ferries to Koh Samet but does anybody know if you can get a bike over to Koh Samet? I presume you go from Ban Phe?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Andy

[​IMG]
  2. Russ

Russ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Should be no problem go down to the wharf and negotiate with a few boats going over to the Island. You'll find someone to take your bike across for a fee.
    Take some planks to get the bike from the boat to the jetty check the tides so that you can get alongside the Jetty.
    If there is no Jetty get to the Island at High tide anchor close to the beach wait for the tide to go out get the bike on the beach and then the boat can leave on the next high tide.
    The residents of SE Asia are a very resourceful lot and used to taking all sorts of goods to the Islands.
  3. Lingmayoma

Lingmayoma Ho hum

Oddometer:
    Thanks for info. By a coincidence I had a drink with a friend last night who actually did it with a scooter back in early 90's. Sounded quite precarious but as you say Thais are a resourceful lot.

Just wonder how they will handle a R1200GSA!

Hate to see it fall off the wharf! But might be an adventure.
  4. PacWestGS

PacWestGS Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer:
    Andy, have you been to Ko Samet?

I don't think the island is big enough for you to really enjoy all the trouble.

Go over and rent a Thai bike. The roads are few and mostly narrow.

There are a few cars/pickups, so there must be a way, I'm just sayin' it's not worth it unless you are moving there, and then why a 1200GSA...:D

I think there are something like 12-miles of road on the whole island. :lol3
  5. Lingmayoma

Lingmayoma Ho hum

Oddometer:
    Not yet...

It was more a location for a simple weekend camping trip (from Bangkok, where I live) with my daugther. But as you say if it is a lot of hassle then just take the car, ferry accross and hire scooter.

Thanks for info.
  6. PacWestGS

PacWestGS Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer:
    You can walk the downtown area in 20-min. Take a ride over the hump to Au Prau Resort (spendy place - my wife and I had our honeymoon there) or catch a ride south along the east seaboard. I've been there twice and always enjoy it.

Make a longer trip to Ko Chang and you can take a car ferry over and spend a day riding...

Trok Dii
  7. Lingmayoma

Lingmayoma Ho hum

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

Have done Koh Chang and it is great. I have GPS coordinates for great campsite on beach if anybody needs. Can supply when back home. But plenty of hotels to stay at well of course.

Look forward to getting to Koh Samet in next month or two.

Andy

Attached Files:

8. Pegaso adv

Pegaso adv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello Andy...!!! good place Ko Samed Island...I was in March 08, and really great after travel along Thailand and finally the great but noisy Bangkog...this last place was the most relaxed I never had...ohh!! great!!
    I saw so much rent scooters bikes...but never so big moto like you.

If you came to Spain you are welcome!!! good bye.

Adios, Pegaso (Sevilla/Spain)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Lingmayoma

Lingmayoma Ho hum

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Pegaso

I haven't made it yet to Samet but will do someday I am sure. Off to Koh Chang in a couple of days...

Good to see you using the life jaket on the boat... :-)

Take care...

Andy
  10. Pegaso adv

Pegaso adv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :huh ohh!!! I forget....to wear it..!! but nobody request to me to use it!! hehehe!!!

good luck friend. in the other side of the world.:norton

From Sevilla.(Spain)

[​IMG]