Kootenays

Discussion in 'Canada' started by lukex, Nov 14, 2005.

1. canadasax

canadasax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am interested in why you picked the Kootenays. I have nothing against the Kootenay area, in fact I think it is one of the best motorcycling areas in BC. The scenery is beautiful and I would love to retire there someday.

I am thinking that there might be easier places to find a job in BC. Vancouver area, Kamloops, Kelowna, Prince George, all would be easier places to find a job. I know the real estate would be higher, but you might not be able to get a house if you can't get a job.

I don't know your circumstances, I am just throwing out ideas.

Where ever you end up in BC, I am sure you will love it.
  2. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good points Canadasax. Kamloops is certainly a potential place. Prince George, well, with all due respect, I wouldn't send my enemy there. Kelowna, for sure, as well as many other Okanagan places, from Lumby, Vernon, all the way down to Osoyoos. Vancouver, or Victoria may be the only places in B.C. that could brag a 12 month riding season [for the commited]. Vancouver is just getting too bloody crowded, and I'm just putting in 2 1/2 more years to lock the pension in, and I'm heading to the Okanagan myself, to do what everyone else is doing in B.C., grow pot! Keremeos here I come!
    Ciao, Steve G.
  3. lukex

lukex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, the Kootenays is our "in a perfect world" choice. We chose it based upon what our research(climate&geography mainly) has shown us as being what we would really like(Lakes, Mountains, skiing, quiet wilderness). We are aware that work opportunities will be dictating where we end up to start with. Thing is, when planning to move like this you have to have a start point, and so far the Kootenays are at the top of the list. If I can find work in the area then great, if not, I will be searching all the towns fanning out from that point, including the Okanagan. Vancouver is a possibility but we are counry folk and would like to stay that way.
    Cheers :1drink, At.
    P.S
    LOL :lol3 That`s a healthy attitude :thumb
  4. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    the area you are looking at is friggin one of THE best places on earth. riding or not,
    one thing to keep in mind, some small towns in north america (whoa or waz that 'merica?) are small and some what red neck. i live in one, hell of a great place, best for me but some people wouldnt like it. all small towns are not alike. nelson is hip city, go down the road a bit and its bo-hunk ( think dukaboor plowin' the dirt w/ ma, could be a relative of mine so....) best to get yer butt over and check them out. and winter? ahh interior BC is friggin cold compared to UK, way more snow. what are you riding? can you bring something cool in ? honda AT ?
    best of luck :1drink
  5. boxermoose

boxermoose Regressive airhead Supporter

Oddometer:
    Redneck?

Spend an afternoon in Bountifull

you will be followed
  6. lukex

lukex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1150GS with all the adv bits HighwayChile. I was going to post a pic but can`t see how?
    Don`t know if I will be able to bring it with though, have to see what the import duties and stuff are like. Certainly hope I can, I`m rather attached to it now. Cheers all :1drink
  7. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    HwyChile has a good point. There are distinctly different towns, some quite close together. Trail is totally working class. Nelson is really hip, cool, as he mentioned. Kelowna is big money, but polished. Grand Forks is a real dukabour town, and yes, the term "red neck" would work there. Actually, living in England, you may find most of Canada red neck. It's nothing to worry about, they are good people. They just live by a lower standard. I mean, what's wrong with being your uncle's brother, and your dad's stepbrother!! As long as yu bring the 4 by 4 pickup, Molson Canadian, and the beef jerky, yer like IN , buddy!!
    Ciao, Steve G.
  8. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    HighwayChile,
    Your signature says your in Bow. That's not Bow Edison is it? Man, that's abought as red neck as you can get.
    Hey, last August I was just north of your place, right at the start of the Chuckanut Drive, heading north. I passed some sloth in a snot green truck, next I see is a full light display coming off the truck. I didn't know that park rangers in Washington can give out tickets!!!!
    Ciao, Steve G.
  9. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    i'm a few miles out of Bow, ( yup, next to Edison, hometown of Edward R Murrow, gutsy news guy, 50 yrs way back) Bow thats the nearest post office, and ah.... bar. green truck, hhmmm the WA park guys I know drive white ones, not sure who that was, for the most part its good ridin' , some LE but not much.
    give a shout if you head down again,

Atkule, I would suggest to rent a place, tour around, look for what fits you. frankly you cant go wrong, as i mentioned its the best place on earth.
    OK if you need the big city fix , stay close to Van. since your thinkin Kootneys, fernie rules, its a ski town, got its hip bars, but really small town too ( good in my book) locals are nice, ski towns attract talented people and have good resturants, better music, not as red neck ( hey I'm in a real red nek area, good folks, )

hit fernie, check out www.enjoyfernie.com really nice young couple remodeled an old hotel , nice, lots of art, super clean, great ski hill. ski towns are big in to mountain biking, downside of ski towns is they cost more $, its $19CA in the summer ! better then the Sheraton I'm in tonight.

post when you move over. oh yeah, need any slang, how to insult a local etc...? I'm in Southern California now on business, met some Mini employees from UK, taught them some local slang/ how to piss somebody off hehehe
    :1drink
  10. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
  11. lukex

lukex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    LOL :D Yup, that`s gotta be the most important thing when moving to a new area, learn how to insult the locals.
    Fernie sure does look nice, all that powder, especially since it`s been raining and strong winds for a week here! :vardy Glad I`ve got heated grips :nod

Are you kidding me? :eek1 Sure that ain`t meant to be $190CA? Even the scummiest lodging in the UK would be no less than £40, around $80CA!
    On the subject of bikes, what does your average Canadian think of bikes? Over here we are often seen as second class citizens as though we ride bikes cos we can`t afford a nice little car! :huh It has got better over the last few years though, more bikes about I guess. And what the about driving? Are Canadians OK drivers? In the uk everyone drives like they are being chased by something :loco It can get a bit hairy at times. I remember driving around the US and they were alot more chilled out behind the wheel. Is it like that in CA? I heard that filtering between cars is illegal, is that true?
    Thanks for the links guys. Any information is good, helps us to get a better picture of the area :type
  12. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've driven and ridden bikes in UK, including downtown London during morning rush hour a few times, including running fast down those tiny 1 lane roads you have. My perspective is that drivers in England/Wales are better drivers, and as such can drive like their being chased without killing themselves [most of the time anyways]
    Canadian driver training is virtually zero, because driving in Canada is more or less a right than a priveledge, which you have until you prove to the authorities that you are bad enough not to drive. With this in mind, it is a fact that drivers are more mellow here, which is in just one way a good thing, alot of people would get wiped out. Now there are distinct regional driving differences here. Big city drivers are usually very impatient, faster, take a few closer chances. Urban and small town drivers are usually the other way round. This can be hard to handle if you are city folk, which I guess I'd place myself in. For example, you may find yourself in a left hand turn lane waiting for a light [very few roundabouts here], the left turn lane light goes green, [remember we drive on the right hand lane] and not only does the guy in front not go, but no-one beeps their horn.
    Filtering/lanesplitting/lane sharing is not just illegal here, but the motoring public is unaccustomed to bikes to the point that the odd red neck may decide to open his door to try to take you out. Do this at your own peril. To get it out of your system, ride to California where it is most definitely legal. It should be noted that unless you move to a city like Victoria, Vancouver, Kelowna, Kamloops, Penticton, etc, you will not really need to lane split, as there will not be a rush hour, or any traffic.
    What do Canadians think of bikes? There are two main camps. One camp thinks that everyone on a bike is a criminal bike gang member [there is more and more press about the criminal element biker garbage being charged/convicted], and either has great fear or hatred/mistrust of anyone, even a young lady on a Honda Spree scooter. Thankfully this is in the minority. I would say most people see a bike for what it mostly is in Canadian society, a big boys/girls toy. As lane splitting is illegal, there are no motorcycle couriors, but many bicycle couriors. One thing that has never happened to me is to be denied a hotel room, or asked to leave a restaurant etc. There are some pubs that ask that you check your helmet at the bar, a few that ask that no colors be worn [colors being mainly the badges of the Hells Angels/Hombres/Banditos etc], as these assholes seem to cause trouble wherever they go. But most of the time now, business establishments realise people on bikes have money and have no problem spending it. Two years ago, a club I belong to was the first non-linked group of the Norton Owners Club International to host an international rally for Norton. The Vancouver, and Kelowna based British Motorcycle Owners Club hosted the event, at Lumby, which is about 20 minutes east of Vernon. The local chamber of commerce, as well as the local RCMP [police] had some reservations about it all. You know that many many people have seen the Wild Ones with Marlon Brando invading a small town. Our Reps in the Okanagan chapter of our club are really great guys, and assured them this would not happen. As it turns out, the rally was a sparkling success, with no complaints. In fact, the town as a whole has called itself the motorcycle rally capitol of BC. They are constantly asking us to hold another rally. Another town, Nakusp, has a BMW rally every summer, and the town just loves the whole thing, and happens to be the Laverda motorcycle capitol of North America.
    But I degress. Bikes are more or less accepted, and with the huge prevelance of scooters in urban cities now [out fuel costs jumping over $1,15/litre has done it, I know it's less than half what you guys in Europe pay] they will be more and more accepted. Knowledgable, no, but acceptable, yeah, I guess.
    Hotels are generally cheaper in the U.S., in the little towns. Unlike small Canadian towns, small town U.S.A. is in something of a time warp, with old diners and hotels unchanged from 30-50 years ago. It's really kind of cool stopping at these places. Like the time we stopped at a place called Enterprise, Oregon, an incredibly pretty little town. The entire place, all the streets, had Patsy Kline music playing, it was really time warp stuff I ashure you. Camping in the U.S. is extremely cheap. Last summer we camped at a place called Dufur, Oregon, 15 miles south of The Dalles, the town's baseball field, beautifully manicured grassed camgrounds, lovely cool stream, to keep our beer cold, and immaculate olympic sized swimming pool, and shower facilities, for $3 bucks each. Other government campgrounds are maybe 5 bucks, and that is if the park ranger shows up to collect, but often don't. National park campgrounds on either side of the border are somewhat more expensive however, with reservatiions needed during the summer holidays even for bikes.
    If you own a motorcycle in B.C., especially a duel purpose one, you will always find yourself very busy if you want to.
    Ciao, Steve G.
  13. kootenay kid

kootenay kid Lets Ride

Oddometer:
    Wanna move to the Kootenays you better be tough. Expected temperature tonite- MINUS 20 C!
  14. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    check your anti freeze, MC type and people type. the cold is a good idea to look at heating $$ where/what you move to.

that $19 CA is ( as of 1-1/2 yrs ago) the summer rate, winter goes up due to ski season. one thing BC interior has is big friggin lakes, that water has to go somewhere. so look into kayaking, boating, sailing fishing etc....
    make sure you check out Salmon Arm, ( yeah it might sound silly if your from out of the area, but salmon knee was taken ) hell nice town, right on a big ass lake. some lakes are 50 mi long, some longer, a lot tend to be narrow, but large none the less.

one big lake is harrison, the small town is touristy during the season, local hot springs, not too far of a drive to Vancouver if you need to hit the big city. its rural, in summer there's drive up corn booths, ( its not just for hogs!)

15. lukex

lukex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh Arr! I was born knee deep in mud surrounded by cows & sheep in an unheated farm house so I should be OK. :D Anyways, you aint been cold till you`ve been stuck in the middle of the Somerset levels, soaked to the skin by freezing rain in a howling 70mph gale! :zilla Oh the joys of a British Summer :D
    Will do, already got a small inflatable Kayak, just need a lake to play on.
    So our road trip should be a giggle :thumb
  16. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    yeah no shit, plenty of alaskans like to let you know how cold it gets, and it does, but just above freezing, hard rain, lots of wind.....damn thats cold.:1drink
  17. lukex

lukex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE! :freaky
  18. irnbru

irnbru Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Merry Christmas to you too Atkule.

I moved here in 1999 from the UK, Scotland. I had a job already so my location was set. In your line of work I believe you can find work anywhere in the province. The construction trade is most definately up.

If you have any questions for a fellow ex-pat feel free to ask.:D
  19. boxermoose

boxermoose Regressive airhead Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seconded - "Merry Christmas everyone"

Al
  20. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    My step-brother lives in Fernie. Beautiful area. Not far off when they say it's the best BC has to offer. Lots of snow where he lives, though

http://www.climate.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/climate_normals/results_e.html?Province=BC%20%20&StationName=&SearchType=&LocateBy=Province&Proximity=25&ProximityFrom=City&StationNumber=&IDType=MSC&CityName=&ParkName=&LatitudeDegrees=&LatitudeMinutes=&LongitudeDegrees=&LongitudeMinutes=&NormalsClass=A&SelNormals=&StnId=1174&

That's a complete summary of weather in the area, but IIRC Fernie gets more snow.