Kootenays

Discussion in 'Canada' started by lukex, Nov 14, 2005.

1. lukex

lukex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cheers IrnBru, I`ll take you up on that :thumb
    BTW, where are you then?
  2. BeeCeeGS

BeeCeeGS WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer:
    Another thread to make me homesick for the Kootenays. I grew up in Castlegar, and my wife grew up in Fruitvale.

I sure miss the skiing! :cry
  3. Mercenary

Mercenary Mindless Savage

Oddometer:
    LOL...everyone is missing the skiing this year. Where I am at, the snow level is nonexistant. It pissed rain Christmas day and its about 15 degrees celcius above normal and we live in NORTHERN BC:huh

A buddy of mine is thinking about digging out his KLR...
  4. vanveen

vanveen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    riding here is a 6 month affair, last year I insured my KLR in march but only because I took a vacation in Mexico, Cranbrook is nice but no round trips, the best riding is to be had in the west kootenays, lots of circle tours, Trail, Nelson all good, Fernie is a straight shot to anywhere, Alberta one way, Cranbrook the other, the highway between Fernie and Cranbrook has got to be one of the most dangerous roads in B.C. its a regular corridor between California and Alberta, tons of commercial trucks, Alberta drivers who rarely see corners in their home province come here and don't slow down for driving conditions and the large amount of animals that frequent our area, rarely does a week go by without some poor soul getting killed, last nite I went to work and passed two cars upside down in the ditch and two other fender benders, mind you it was snowing hard, no problem for someone used to driving on the wrong side of the road though:rofl good luck on your move, seems to be a lot of people attempting to move this area, world is filling up,
  5. kilby

kilby Dubai

Oddometer:
    Having lived in New Denver for 10 years, I can attest that it is beautiful and I wish I had never sold my property. Had to leave to find employment and now live in Summerland, great weather if you like the heat but the real estate prices are 3 0R 4 four times what you would pay in Nakusp or the Slocan...and it's getting pretty crowded as well. Just got a new KLR and am really looking forward to that road trip, the highways in the West Koorenay are still relaxing to ride.
  6. mikeyyc

mikeyyc mmmmm....capolicious

Oddometer:
    The other alternative of course is to live in Calgary, as opposed to the Peoples Republic of British Columbia :lol3 :lol3

At least that way you could have TONS of work, and be able to buy a second place around Kaslo.

Mike
  7. canadasax

canadasax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tried to think of something real witty to say to that, but I couldn't think of anything, because you are probably right. Alberta does have more work opportunities than BC.
  8. vanveen

vanveen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yeah its funny how almost nobody I know here in B.C. aspires to own a home anywhere in alberta
  9. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, and nobody goes to Alberta to retire.
    Actually, I admire Alberta very much. BC is lucky to have therm as neigbours. Their attitude [ no mammby-pambies] their wealth, the beautiful summers. Unfortunately, I have an aversion to cold, Alberta gets cold. I live in the warmest place in Canada and it's still too cold, but the USA is currently not accepting english speaking, skilled, law abiding immigrants these days.
    Ciao, Steve G.
  10. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    I'd like to say it's cold here, but it woulld be a lie. Warmest January
    on record. Can you believe rain?

In more normal years, this is the 12 coldest city in Canada.
  11. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Yea, its cold in Alberta all right. Was 13 degrees C yesterday and I had to ride my XRL on dusty dirt roads. Too bad the sun was shinning and there was no wind. Boring. Anyone in BC go riding except the lower mainland? But hey, BC has the best riding in the world most of the year.
  12. Mercenary

Mercenary Mindless Savage

Oddometer:
    Buddy of mine just rode his DR today. We're in Northern BC too! Not dry and dusty roads, mind you, muddy and wet! Riding is riding....
  13. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    When you guys get a chinook it's great isn't it? It has been a warm winter, that's true. No complaimnts from me!
    Ciao, Steve G.
  14. kootenay kid

kootenay kid Lets Ride

Oddometer:
    Aktule, a quick work update. I am involved in a 4 million dollar project at Teck Cominco and it is falling behind because they cant engineer it fast enough. Word on the street is Teck has 40 million dollars to spend on Capital projects and they are concerned they wont be able to spend it because they cant get engineering done. Make sure you check it out when you come through this summer.
  15. lukex

lukex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the word up Mr Kid :thumb
    I will be checking that out. Do you know of any research links to find the specific info. Thanks, At :wave
  16. ~dirtgirl~

~dirtgirl~ Dirty girl!

Oddometer:
    Well, hi from a fellow Brit, originally from Plymouth in Devon. We moved here 8 years ago after initially spending a year here in 1993-94. I would highly recommend coming for a year first to be sure you can handle the winters! We moved to Calgary initially but now live in the boonies.

Canada has been good to us so far, we have had up to 7 bikes in the stable, along with brand new cars, horses etc.

My hub is an electrician (master) but had to challenge the Canadian exam, I am an Optician, and again had to challenge.

Money wise we make more here than in the UK. One thing for sure I would not do is get sucked into a lot of the "buy now pay later" things that Canada seems to offer, I am sure they are also doing it back in the UK. Just talking to a lot of people, alot of canucks owe money on everything, try not to get into that!

Good luck with the process, it is a long one! PM me if you want to know anything, I will see if I can help you out.

Buy "Canada News" we got it for a year B4 we came, has useful stuff in it! :freaky
  17. lukex

lukex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks lady of the mud, will do :thumb P.S, where are the Boonies?
  18. kootenay kid

kootenay kid Lets Ride

Oddometer:
    I will get you a contact name and email adress on Monday

19. ~dirtgirl~

~dirtgirl~ Dirty girl!

Oddometer:
    I live in Black Diamond, look it up on a map, its SW of Calgary. We have access within 20-30 mins of great off road riding and we are surrounded by gravel roads and have a nice view of the Rockies! Lived in Calgary for 7 years but the city was getting too much for us!:freaky
  20. Geordietraveller

Geordietraveller On the road to nowhere...

Oddometer:
    We camped there at the Lions campground for a couple of nights on our way up to Edmonton. Nice place, some good roads nearby (for Alberta:D ) and not too far from Banff etc. Very Jealous. (just have to watch out for that copper with the radar gun in Longview though eh!)
    [​IMG]

Simon & Fiona