1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Kriega USA Luggage Q&A

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by amanlikemike, Apr 2, 2012.

1. blalor

blalor Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMG_5222.JPG
    Ended up making my own. Sure, it would have been faster to order the Giant Loop ones, but these were scrap in my garage. And they're uglier!
  2. RozzyCat

RozzyCat Bleeds orange Supporter

Oddometer:
    So looks like we can longer order directly from Kriega USA and need to go through one of their retailers. I had a hard time finding Rack Loops but finally located a set at AOMC.
  3. blalor

Oddometer:
  4. RozzyCat

RozzyCat Bleeds orange Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    Hey I am late to the party...has anyone mounted the Kreiga USCombo 40 or 50 liter pack onto a WR250R? If yes, any photos?

Thanks...Phil
  6. blalor

Oddometer:
    IMG_3082.JPG
    Not a great photo. 20 and a 30. I found it too tall and it moved around more than I wanted. I've got a tusk rack now, however.
  7. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:

Thanks for photo...I have a "dirtrack" rack with Wolfman Dry Bags [smaller of panniers] and need something for up top...on GSA I could carry a 50L duffel plus two 30L long roll tops [over two roll top Ortliebs panniers] .

Lots of bucks but either the 40 or 50 liter side by side set up looks possible....this season will be my first off roading with the WRR..my goal is to go minimalist with least amount of weight and carrying that weight low...bought WR after beating myself [and GSA] off road touring for 9 years....

The Kriega gear seems well thought out and if configured correctly will keep the weight low...no stacking, side by side...off road 90% and for 14 days at a time.

If anyone has used the 30L + two 20 liter dry bag combo on a WR please let me know how it worked out....I have the Tusk plate on rear...

Thanks again, appreciate the info,

Phil
  8. blalor

Oddometer:
    I think the Overland 30 and a 20 or 30 up top will be a better system for weight distribution than the way I had the 20/30 combo stacked before (pictured).
  9. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:

Not disbelieving :D, but why better weight distribution by going vertical rather than horizontal and lowering CG? I am always willing to learn!

Thanks,

Phil
  10. blalor

Oddometer:
    I think I've sacrificed clarity for brevity. :-) The Overland 30 hang low, below the seat and just behind my legs (see below, test-fitting on my Monster). That'll move the CG much lower. Then I can still use my US-20 or -30 up high on the top rack (where they're pictured stacked above). If I still need more space, I could hang the -20 on the side of the -30 on the top rack, but I think I'd need another bag on the other side of the -30 (a US-10 or -20) for balance.

IMG_1187.JPG
  11. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was waiting for word also.
    Have not heard, bought something else :dunno
  12. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:

Thanks...Got it! Nice "Duck"! My choice is to go 50 or 40 liter USCombo on WR [two weeks off road]...just uncertain how they will fit..really was hoping for someone that has these mounted on a WR to have posted photos.

Also: What is the weight of these Kreiga bags? [30/20/10] Could not find weights for the bags.

And so few vendors in US...and mostly 'out of stock'...the 10 year warranty means nothing if the business is out of business; are they solvent?

Thanks for you help..appreciated.

Phil
    blalor likes this.
  13. Beer'o'clock Baz

Beer'o'clock Baz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kriega is going strong mate. I have just bought loads of gear off them a few weeks ago for a trip I did. The overland 30 is going to be my next buy and they have them in stock, I am going to sell my Andy Strapz soft panniers and go all Kriega. Maybe contact them direct over here (Australia). There weight is very minimal not worth worrying about, what you put in them is your weight concern.

P.S I own a WR 450f aswell and there's no way I would put that much weight on the back of her. I have an SWM 650 for carrying weight. But I know people who try.
  14. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:

Thanks for the input...actually I kitting out a WR250R for the annual across Idaho/Montana/Wyoming on dirt tracks...may bite on the 50 liter combo once it is back in stock here [10-30-10]....I am really trying to keep the weight down..I learned the hard way on my GSA.

Thanks again...Phil
  15. Beer'o'clock Baz

Beer'o'clock Baz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry didn't see you had an 250 r it will be fine. I am thinking about one of them myself.
  16. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    OK...perhaps this will generate a reply; hope so....I am now considering purchasing three 20L US dry bags.. as opposed to a USCombo 50L set-up.

Question is whether or not they will securely connect to each other: Center bag laying flat and one each 'on edge' on either side of the center bag.

This will give optional space for load out while keeping vertical height down and the length @ 15.7 " for the 20's rather than a center 30l @ 17.5 ".

If anyone has configured these 20's horizontally as I described I would love to hear your input...

Thanks!

Phil
  17. scareraven

scareraven Ninja Freak Supporter

Oddometer:
    Random question: I heard talk of a tank bag. Rumors really. I have '12 990 KTM Adventure and am looking for a good tank bag. As a life long squid, Kreiga has gone the distance with me on many long trips on the sport bikes.
    That being said I am looking at the Wolfman Enduro. I know there is a strap set that a 5L can be thrown on, but I was hoping for more usability than a roll close bag as a tank bag. Thoughts?
    Thanks for any replies out there. Stay safe!
  18. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:

I have the WM Enduro tank bag on my WR250R...it is small, but that is what I wanted...well secured and requires purchase of a rain cover...no ports for USB or charging lines, etc, into bag...and honestly like so much in our world, over priced but seems to be well made....I have a Cortech Mini on my GSA and it has been great for 7 years and counting...I try to restrict weight up high hence small tank bags..

Phil
    scareraven likes this.
  19. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Baz!!

Just a heads up. I used the Overlander 30 set-up for my offroad/DS riding camping trips for a couple months.

[​IMG]

For the first week of riding they did fantastic with no issues. Sadly into a two week DS trip to Cambodia that started to have a variety of issues. Cliff Notes version is that all the Camlock buckles failed causing some misery for me. At the time Micheal was representing the product in this thread, and did absolutely fantastic in trying to sort my woes. Sadly nothing worked. I don't want to derail this thread on my issues but if you do a search for my posts in this thread in about December 2013 going forward you will find my posts. Or simply peruse this thread where I compared the Overlander 30's to other bags I have utilized in the past:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...rlander-30-vs-gl-coyote-and-dirt-bagz.911217/

Overlander 30 related stuff is towards the end of the thread.

On another note one issue that i discovered with Kriega bags was an issue with the waterproof inner white bag liners. This is not just relevant to the Overlander 30 series as it's a design staple through all their bags. The inner white bags are strong nylon with a waterproof coating. This is in contrast to most waterproof bags used for kayaking etc. that are a strong PVC material. In my usage the waterproof coating on both of my white waterproof bags began to rub off.

[​IMG]

Bright white spots are where the coating has worn off above.
    and near my fingers below.

[​IMG]

Both bags had areas where the coating had rubbed off.

I checked the waterproof issues with some water in a cup:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately it proved my fears valid. Water came through the worn spots easily.

[​IMG]

The above took about 10 seconds to seep through.

The load i had packed for the trip was not full of pointy, sharp objects that would easily rub away the coating.

[​IMG]

The bags were used in dual sport conditions and for me failed miserably. I reported the issues to Kriega and the suggestions i had done to fix all the issues. Sadly they took one of my recommendations but not all. The same inner bags are still used on all the products. This is not to disparage Kriega as I still use some of their products, just not the Overlander 30, or anything with the white inner dry bags.

Sad to have that experience as i really like the saddlebag shape for packing my camping gear n supplies on my multi week DS rides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whatever you choose I hope your riding is fantastic!!!

Beer'o'clock Baz likes this.
  20. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    Team FTB,

Wow! Great adventures and excellent write up's. While not at your level I occasionally [actually far too often..] submerge my gear in water crossings and mud holes and in all honestly after seeing the failure of the white inner liners [only thing that keeps contents dry] you so well documented I am crossing Kriega "dry bags" off my list of gear to buy and returning to PVC type folders such as my Wolfman Expedition panniers.

Folders have never failed me and take incredible 'abuse'.

Thanks again for your candid posts, sharing your adventures and showing what is possible.

Stay Safe....Phil