1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Kriega USA Luggage Q&A

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by amanlikemike, Apr 2, 2012.

1. scareraven

scareraven Ninja Freak Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. No power and small but convenient is what I am going for. Like you said, less weight up hi. And I never carry much in a tank bag. I had a small Joe Rocket manta for years with my sportbike a and only ever carried a phone and toll money really. A friend had the WM enduro for his 950 and suggested it. Looks like the winner so far.
  2. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    Talked to the US Kriega representative and he said Kriega recommends replacing the liner bags every 3-5 years. Interesting, but not encouraging, since my roll top Hypalon bags last for decades. Still on fence, may bite the bullet and assume a liner life-span of 3 years. Just not sure yet.

Phil
    Badabing70 likes this.
  3. darkstarmoto

darkstarmoto Am I evil? Yes I am

Oddometer:
    Liners range from $8-$19 on Revzilla. Some of my bags are well over 8 years old (and have some hard ass miles on them) and no issues to date but it's good to know replacements are cheap and easy to get.
  4. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:

Roger that and thanks; once I saw the liner costs that swayed back into the Kriega camp...my current plan is to buy the USCombo40; combined with my WM Expedition panniers that should allow enough for two weeks at a time off roading. On purpose I am not going for the USCombo 50 or 70 to my limit space to carry "stuff" and more weight. Really, really trying to ultralight, but traveling solo requires more bike and emergency gear.

Sure would like to hear from someone with the USCombo 40 on a WR250R!

Phil
  5. amanlikemike

amanlikemike Recovering Speedfreak

Oddometer:
    My Dearest Fellow Inmates,

I have an announcement to make, which I hope will go someway towards explaining the apparent 'disappearing act' it may seem I have pulled of late...

Toward the back-end of last year, I negotiated the transfer of the Exclusive US Distribution Rights for Kriega, from my company, BritKit LLC, to UPSHIFT Distribution. This was entirely of my own volition and for a number of valid reasons, all of which were intended to benefit my valued customers and most excellent supplier, Kriega UK.

Essentially, after almost six years in the saddle, I found I had taken Kriega as far as it was possible for one man alone to do. No matter how many hours I put in, ideas I came up with and solutions that I found, it became clear that, in order for the brand to continue on its dramatic upward trajectory, it needed to be part of a larger 'stable' of brands.

After working alongside UPSHIFT in the role of Brand & Sales Consultant to their existing portfolio of outstanding, premium quality European gear, I decided that I had found the ideal new American home for Kriega. Because, despite having access to additional manpower and far more resources (and consequently the increased economies of scale required to maintain the momentum of a brand that has grown exponentially since I took the reigns back in early 2011) than I, UPSHIFT - very much like BritKit - is still effectively a 'boutique' importer & distributor, specializing in only the finest goods - specifically, Rukka Technical Riding Apparel, Akrapovic Performance Exhausts and ROKKER Casual Protective Clothing. And now Kriega.

The planning and execution of the transition was quite intensive and took up all of my time, which is why I have, unfortunately, not been able to remain as involved in this wonderful community as I used to be (to the degree that I haven't even had chance to spend any time geeking out in my usual 'off-hours' haunt - the OC!). Please therefore accept my sincere apologies for the ensuing and extended radio silence.

The ADV community has not only been an endless font of information, inspiration and camaraderie for me personally (including the time long before I set up as Vendor... to the extent that I might have torched my 'misbehaving' 990 on several occasions if it hadn't been for the Hall of Wisdom and other Inmates' prior 'experimentation' :lol3), but also a massive source of support for Kriega USA.

Over the years, through this forum, via email, on the telephone and face-to-face at various rallies or as 'Tent Space' guests in my home, Inmates have consistently proven themselves to be the most knowledgeable, helpful, loyal, dedicated and genuine members of the 'Kriega Krewe'.

From the get-go, all-a-y'all's immediate, enthusiastic and warm welcome to me as a Vendor, instantly confirmed my innate confidence that Kriega would be as well-received by US Adventure / Dual Sport riders as I believed it could. Your unwavering and continued support since my very first official Kriega post, way back (almost five years to the day, 2,000+ posts, 106 pages and over a third-of-a-million views later) on 2nd April 2012 is something for which I am - and will always remain - exceptionally honored and grateful.

The chaps at Kriega UK and UPSHIFT are fully aware of the esteem in which I hold this community (indeed, chances are the very soon to be released Overlander-S systems would not be quite as aaaaaaaahhh-mazing as they are without your feedback :thumb) and the value I place in our mutual support of each other, so expect to hear from them here at some point soon. Meanwhile, stay tuned for a vastly upgraded Kriega.us website, plus loads of wicked new product releases!

So, while I will soon be switching back to my 'civilian' avatar, I'll still be around - quite possibly back with a new Vendor's Thread, but certainly lurking this one and hanging around the OC, whenever possible.

Thanks again.

Happy trails.

Cheers, FYYFF & TTFN (ta-ta for now)!

Michael
    [​IMG]
    Photo: Yours truly with Mrs. Kriega USA at last year's epic n00bs Rally in Death Valley.
  6. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes for me it was a bit disappointing. However the Vendor Michael is a top notch representative. Hope they come up with some design revisions going forward.
  7. team ftb

Oddometer:
    Michael all the best to you in the your endeavors going forward and like most of us on here............going to miss the quality and service that you brought to the brand. An enthusiastic thumbs up to you for all you have done for people like myself with the brand. He's a stand up gent people.
  8. team ftb

Oddometer:
    My liners failed to make it through a month of usage. Another friend that has their R3 fanny pack had the same issue with his liner. This is not to say the liners don't work, obviously for some they seem to hold up. However under my usage their lifespan was abysmal. Like Wallows, my traditional roll top dry bags have been perfectly reliable. I'm off to China and Tibet next week on the bike and will be utilizing traditional roll top drybags on the bike.

Though I will continue to use my Kriega backpacks with much enthusiasm!!! Their harness system flat rocks for operating motorcycles as it frees up the shoulders wonderfully for UN-encumbered input to the bike.
  9. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Michael

I'm sad to see you go, but good luck on your new adventures!

That's a very well written bail out letter
    and I want to thank you for the advice and help you gave me when I purchased all the gear a few years ago!
    My stuff is holding up very well, thank you!

Maybe see you on the road and there is a camp spot in my backyard if you need one!

Cheers
    amanlikemike likes this.
  10. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't say it any better, so I'll just quote this. :thumb
    amanlikemike likes this.
  11. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you Michael in supporting the noobs rally for many years. You made my job easier soliciting donations for our charity fund raising. Quick and positive response, always wanting to please people.

Glad I met you and the s.o. that I was able to thank you in person. We're going to miss you and will be happy to support Upshift.

Kriega is one of my favorite brands, at least 14 items in my garage, and always have something or 2 with me when riding.

Hey, that OS-32 is looking good! Just wish it's available now so I can use them on my camping trip on 3rd of May.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/kriega-overlander-s-os-32-drypack

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/tested-kriega’s-overlander-s-os-32-panniers.1215281/

Hope to see you on your next endevour. Wish you the best.
    amanlikemike likes this.
  12. amartin4410

amartin4410 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is Kriega going to offer a solution for BMW is offset racks? I love these bags but I don't think the mounting plate will fit with my side racks on my f800gsa. I'd rather not just use the overseat straps
  13. darkstarmoto

Oddometer:
    Truly sad to hear but wishing you great success in whatever comes next.
    amanlikemike likes this.
  14. caljw

caljw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have gone completely Kriega on my 500exc (Overlander 30/ US 5 tailbag) and 1190r (US 30/10's and 5 tank bag)...great kit! Best to you and Mrs. K USA:photog
    amanlikemike likes this.
  15. marc-s

marc-s photographer

Oddometer:
    Hey mates, is the OS system compatible to the US system? By theat I mean: will it make sense to strap a US-10 to the OS-32?
  16. caljw

caljw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't see why not marc-s. Looks like the loops on top of the OS-32 will accept a US bag just fine.
    marc-s likes this.
  17. darkstarmoto

Oddometer:
    ^^ agreed the OS-32 has specific loops built into it for hanging either OS Packs or US bags on as long as you have the newer attaching straps with the alloy hook.
    marc-s likes this.
  18. Bhart89

Bhart89 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can anyone confirm that the Kriega Overlander S 32 Pannier soft bag can be mounted on top of a 1.75gal Rotopax container? I'll be using the Kriega OS platform mounts.
  19. Zach440

Zach440 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got a like new only 10 miles on it R25 for sale in flea market if anyone's interested
  20. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there a product (tape, material, etc) you can recommend attaching to the bottom of the Kriega Overlander s32's to shield them from exhaust heat?