krussell's 1090R vs 1290R Fight to the Sale

Discussion in 'Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much HP' started by krussell, Feb 28, 2018.

1. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    This thread compares the 1090R against the 1290R. You might also want to check out the 1090(Non R) vs 1290S thread by @Andy_L -> http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...1290-super-adventure-s.1317226/#post-35109421

I bought a 2017 1090R back in July, and rode it 2800 miles over the summer. I liked it, but in a moment of confusion sold it in December. Feeling immediate seller’s remorse, I figured I’d better replace it with another one while they were on sale, so I did. That bike just had it’s 600mi service. To keep things simple, I’m going to consider both 1090Rs to be one bike and won’t distinguish between them any further.

I thought briefly about the 1290R when I bought the second 1090R, but decided at the time to stick with the 1090R. As January and February unfolded and KTM got more aggressive with discounts, I could no longer resist and I picked up the 1290R this past Saturday. My plan is to spend the next month or two comparing them, and then let one of them go to a new home.

I’m going to use this thread to chronicle my comparison, with the hope that others trying to make the same decision can benefit. I’m in Portland, OR, ride a lot of pavement, and a lot of gravel with a bit of dirt too. I’m 6’4 280 and have learned I like big bikes. I’m not fast, don’t wheelie, and don’t drop often. I don’t go to the track, don’t go far past the speed limit, and turn around when that’s prudent. Yep, I’m an adv-poser. I’ve discovered, via a long string of purchases and trials, that I really like a bike with 18/21 wheels for my off pavement work. The bike I’ll keep is for one up forest road riding primarily in the Pacific NW.

The next two posts will include one with the factual differences between the bikes, and one with my riding impressions. I intend to edit them on an ongoing basis so the tl;dr crowd can get what they need in just three posts. I’ll consider subjective feedback / incorporate factual corrections, and welcome discussion. Before we get any further, let me share my favorite picture of each bike.

IMG_20170711_175350.jpg

IMG_20180226_151221.jpg
  2. krussell

Oddometer:
    Here’s my evolving list of differences between the two bikes. Note that my bikes are 2017 US models, but all of this will apply to 2018 models as well, they are essentially unchanged.

The 1090 MSRP is just below $15k, while the 1290 is $18k. For the additional $3k the 1290 adds:

251 CCs displacement (1050 vs 1301, per KTM)
    35 additional HP (123 vs 158, per KTM)
    22 lbs in additional dry weight (456 vs 478, per KTM)

Cornering ABS
    Combined ABS
    Lean sensitive traction contro
    LED headlight with cornering lights.l

6.5” TFT Display
    Cruise Control
    Race ON (Keyless ignition)
    Tire Pressure Monitoring System
    Center Stand
    12v 10A outlet below the TFT
    Waterproof cell phone case with integrated USB outlet. (but no general purpose cubby hole/ash tray, which the 1090 has)
    Most buttons on the switchgear are backlit.

On the 1290 you can opt for the following software upgrades, individually, or via a single bundle called the Travel Pack ($525):

Quick Shifter ($346)
    Hill Hold Control ($175)
    Motor Slip Regulation ($130)
    KTM My Ride Navigation (turn by turn navigation via cell phone assist - NO MAP) ($90)

Windshields are adjustable on both models, the 1290 uses a knob that can be adjusted while underway. The 1090 uses two levers to clamp the display, it’s adjustable underway as well, but requires two levers to be released, display repositioned, then two levers clamped.

The intake snorkels on the 1290 have metal screens to stop bugs. The 1290 has optional filters that go on the ends of the snorkel and are easily changed, the 1090 has an option as well but it’s not quite as simple to maintain.

The tank side panels are wider on the 1290, and allow air to pass behind them, between the pane and the tank. They are also flared outward at the rear. The headlight mask on the 1290 is larger as well.

The 1290 has a small plastic panel with metal heat shielding directly behind the tank under the front of the seat. The 1090 does not.

The rear rack plate on the 1290 is a bit larger and metal, the 1090 is plastic.

The 1090 handlebar is silver, the 1290 is black.

The front brake master cylinder on the 1290 uses a urine specimen cup style fluid reservoir while the 1090 reservoir is cast.

The 1090 shift lever has a fixed position folding tip. The 1290 shift lever has a non-folding tip that can be adjusted to three positions.

Both bikes (US models) have incandescent turn signals for DOT requirements.

The tank on the 1090 is not quite black, and has a nice texture to it that makes it very nice to grip with your knees. The 1290 is more black, shiny, and smooth, and does not grip well at all.

In the US both bikes have a 12mo/12k mi warranty, with the same maintenance schedule.

Keeping in mind the differences above, it’s note that roughly 87% of the engine/transmission components are identical, with 77% of the chassis components being identical. One key takeaway, is that the suspension is identical.
  3. krussell

Oddometer:
    krussell’s riding impressions, last updated 3/11/18: 3420 mi to date on the 1090, 1116 mi on the 1290.

Off pavement in off-road mode if you close your eyes you wouldn't know which bike you are on, other than the slippery tank sides on the 1290

On pavement, the combination of screen / headlight cowl, and side fairing make the airflow to the rider much smoother on the 1290 - no buffeting for me @ 6'4”. I estimate that for the same amount of wind load you get to go 10MPH faster on the 1290.

Thing's I don't like about both bikes:
    - heat from the rear cylinder. It's worse on the 1090, but you feel it on both bikes.

On the 1090, I don't like:
    - buffeting, I'm using the stock windshield

Problems on the 1090:
    - fuel pump recall was done proactively on both 1090s.
    - fuel sender was replaced at about 2400 miles on the 1st 1090.

On the 1290, I like:
    - The quickshifter, a software option, is excellent. Drama free clutchless shifts both up and down.
    - The headlight is excellent.

Problems on the 1290:
    - fuel pump recall was done prior to delivery on the 1290.
    - RaceOn Key has not worked without a few attempts on two occasions in the first 300 miles. (fixed by immobilizer software update)
    - Occasionally I get a message on the display that says 'Key not in Range.' This has happened 10-20 times in the first 300 miles. (fixed by immobilizer software update)
    - I don't have the latest software yet, as a result the MyRide Navigation isn't available.
    (Fixed by update to the lastest tft software.)
  4. GibbonsMonkey

GibbonsMonkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good stuff. Will be following with interest. Thanks!
  5. Wynnded

Wynnded Wait....what?

Oddometer:
    I will never be able to unsee this while watching mine shake next to my hand while riding....
  6. GCecchetto

GCecchetto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The center stand is the majority of the weight savings on the 1090. I really like having the center stand on my 1190R, make chain maintenance at the end of the day a breeze. I know which bike I would be keeping. I committed to putting 50,000 miles on my 1190 before I buy a new bike, so I have to make it a couple more years before I get my 1290 SAR.
  7. krussell

Oddometer:
    Comparison pics, 1090 on the left. Apologies for not getting them perfectly identical.

c1.jpg c2.jpg c3.jpg c4.jpg
    Jswallow, thirsty 1, goodcat8 and 3 others like this.
  8. krussell

Oddometer:
    Comparison pics, continued...

c5.jpg c6.jpg c7.jpg c8.jpg
  9. krussell

Oddometer:
    Comparison pics, continued...

c9.jpg c10.jpg c11.jpg
    Jswallow, bmac, tonyubsdell and 5 others like this.
  10. Wynnded

Wynnded Wait....what?

Oddometer:
    In some pictures, the crash bars on the 12 appear thicker. Illusion or no?
  11. jdrice

jdrice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awsome thread I just hope this doesn't make me want a 1290r.
    CheapB and enduro16 like this.
  12. krussell

Oddometer:
    They are identical. To do these correctly I'd setup a tripod, get more light, put the bikes in the same spot.
    Wynnded likes this.
  13. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    Not much weight difference. And as was said, if its about the center stand then its really even less than that. 1290 would be my keeper. And the cool insect headlight to boot.....on a side note, ever hear of Octopus ink? My buddy's tat shop in lake oswego on first street.
  14. jdrice

jdrice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put 17k on my 1190r and my 1090r feels much lighter and more agile while riding off road. I would have to think the 1290 would feel even heavier just do to the rotating mass.
  15. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting differences in perspective. I, for one, am looking forward to more thoughts from krussell as he gets more time in on both bikes.

I think krussell should remove the centerstand from the 1290, top them both up with gas, and weigh them both himself.... :)
    motoman250f and Bill 310 like this.
  16. ADV67

ADV67 Alsace rider

Oddometer:
    Very interesting, will follow this thread. Just traded in my 1190R and waiting now on my new 1290SAR (will be born in Mattighofen 3rd week of March).

The 1090 I testrode last summer felt more nimble and agile indeed compared to my 1190.
    TomSummerfield likes this.
  17. Yelo

Yelo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very well done and super interesting ! Will follow it too !
    Thanks krussell
    (Hi ADV67 ! Waiting for my 1290 SAR too ; expected to hit my dealer in 2 weeks more or less.... :) :) :) )
    ADV67 likes this.
  18. ADV67

ADV67 Alsace rider

Oddometer:
    Salut JMP! Cool! :wave
  19. 3rdgeargrndrr

3rdgeargrndrr Long timer

Oddometer:
    3 bikes in 8 months?
    Are you ok krussel? you change bikes more often than I change socks
    tmark1301cc likes this.
  20. krussell