KTM 1090 0r 1290

Discussion in 'Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much HP' started by gzrglyde, Dec 5, 2018.

1. gzrglyde

gzrglyde Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Stopped at local KTM dealer just for shits and grins. Looking at the new 1090 and 1290 Adventure bikes...I did not see the 790. They are having a year end sale and .99% financing...so the pricing puts it in my ball park. Anyone have any opinions on one over the other...and why? I am 5'10" and can just touch my boot tips when straddling the 1290. I am looking for an adventure bike that I will likely ride 60-40, on road and off...and off road mostly on like fire roads and a BDR or two. I am also looking for something that does not weigh 500-600 pounds, but holy crap, I do not think I need 160hp!!! So any thoughts? I currently have a G650GS, a vintage TR5T, and a XT225.
  2. ADV-wannabe

ADV-wannabe Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would probably start with a test ride of both and go from there. If you get the 1290 and go off-road you're more than likely going to have it in off road mode which cuts power down to 100hp. The 160hp would be reserved for the road where it is an exhilarating beast when you want it to be.
    Rob180 likes this.
  3. SASteve

SASteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes you do
  4. Sininja

Sininja n00b

Oddometer:
    1290r at .99% and $14,699 no freight no setup was enough for me!
  5. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. ls6777

ls6777 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am your same height and had to decide between both as well. I ended up going with the 1290 because I wanted the cruise control, linked braking, cornering ABS, and some of the other new tech. I am also tip toe on the bike. I already took it on the Utah BDR without much issue, but it's currently at a suspension shop getting lowered though so it's not quite as intimidating offroad. I also thought the weight difference of 20 pounds between the 1290 and 1090 was not significant enough to factor in.
    ADV-wannabe likes this.
  7. Hammy713

Hammy713 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't ridden a 1090 but have a 1290R. For the little weight difference that is a non-issue. As far as the power goes, once you taste 160hp everything else is weak.

Oh, I'm only 5'7" and it's a tall bike for sure but rides smaller than it is.
  8. gzrglyde

gzrglyde Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For me, the height is the major issue. I do not like trying to balance on tippy toe...and as you all likely know...if you get on roads where big trucks have trenched out the pavement, if you are not placed in the right place, you may not be able to touch the ground! I am not sure why the manufacturers want to make adventure bikes as high as a friggin motocross bike. The dealer here told me you can lower the front via adjustments on the yoke...anyone have any experience lowering a 1290...what it took to do it? Even 1" would be great for me.
  9. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Did you look at the SA S? The seat height is right around 34". I have the now discontinued SA T with the same seat height and deal with it just fine at 5'8" and 30" inseam. I had a 950SE for years and loved it for it's off road ability but eventually had enough of picking it up from all my low speed tipovers. The SA T seat height feels easy to manage by comparison even though it's 100+ lbs heavier.

I see your location is Florida - if you're riding to Utah or other BDR's, you're going to really appreciate the creature comforts of the 1290 on the highway for just a small weight penalty. Cruise control and heated grips/seat can change endure to enjoy on a long freeway drone.
  10. bighog85

bighog85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Depending on what you end up paying for the bike you can add CC and heated everything to the 1090R and still be under the price of the 1290R. And you’ll get a simpler bike without the key fob issues I’ve seen others having (though they may be resolved now, I’ve not kept up on it).

As far as weight goes, straight scale weight differences are not significant between the two but people often fail to mention the rotational mass. If you are strictly doing dirt roads then either is fine but as soon as you get more technical the 1090R will feel much lighter. Something to think about if money or true offroad prowess is a serious concern.
  11. JdFan

JdFan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I was doing that much offroad, I consider waiting for the 790 or get a lightly used 990. That said the 1290 is one sick beast.
    josgs likes this.
  12. josgs

josgs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How do you manage in start-stop traffic? Great bike by the way...
  13. Its not Ginger!

Its not Ginger! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1090 is all you will ever need, and it is all you will ever want unless you test a 1290!

I do 99.9% road so have had S models, started with an 1190 and then got a 1090, the 1190 stays and a 1290 is joining it soon, the 1090S was very nice, but lacked the magic the 1190 had in the engine department, and is even further behind the 1290 - but it still had plenty of poke for solo use even on tarmac - just needed working harder.

For dirt I would prefer a 1090R over the 1290R, a bit more manageable, less to go wrong and cheaper to drop, 160BHP on knobblies scares the crap out of me - in fact the DRZ400 I just acquired seems fairly scary on dual purpose rubber to me!
  14. Gutch

Gutch N8DAWG

Oddometer:
    I too chose the 1290 SAS. Threw some protection on it and more aggressive tires and it rips. I two up and carry bags and like the semi auto suspension. I love the tall height for standing, I’m 6’1.

Attached Files:

ADV-wannabe likes this.
  15. Hammy713

Hammy713 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, solo is just fine but two up is when it gets a little hairy. I put one foot down at stops. When I have a passenger I make it very clear not to be adjusting without letting me know so I don’t get caught off guard.

Obviously if I was 6’ + tall, the bike would be easier to handle in tight off road stuff but I’m not so all I know is what I’ve got.

When I bought the bike, both the front and rear suspension had been lowered by Konflict. However, I had it brought back to stock height and won’t be changing it back.
  16. gzrglyde

gzrglyde Adventurer

Oddometer:
  17. gzrglyde

gzrglyde Adventurer

Oddometer:
    KTM is having a sale on 2018 models now, so I can save about 10-15%, and .99% financing is like free money. I must say I am a bit leery of all the stuff on the 1290, and the $3k price difference is significant too. I was also leery of the fob deal...though I have not heard of issues with that. The biggest drawback for me is the seat height, and I am not going to buy a bike and THEN try to figure out how to get it lowered. And honestly, I do not see me ever needing 160hp!!!! Jesus...my big 98 HD Road King puts out over 100hp and scares the shit out of me sometimes.
  18. gzrglyde

gzrglyde Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So what are the issues with the fob on the 1290...I just read and ADV Rider review which panned the fob...but with no explanation..
  19. gzrglyde

gzrglyde Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What is it going to cost you to have it lowered, and how much lower are you going?
  20. gzrglyde

gzrglyde Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The dealer knew nothing about the bike going from 160hp to 100hp in dirt mode!