KTM 1090 0r 1290

Discussion in 'Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much HP' started by gzrglyde, Dec 5, 2018.

1. bighog85

bighog85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m pretty sure I read about guys having issues with the bike recognizing the fob but that may have just been people concerned that it could be an issue, not that it is. I’d hate to be stuck somewhere for something like that. I use my 1090 like a big dirt bike so all of the extra electronics of the 1290 were of no use other than CC which I added.

I’m pretty sure the ergonomics of the 1090R are the same as the 1290R so it sounds like seat height may be an issue no matter what.
  2. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    For me, it was the bike not recognizing the fob, most of the time at gas stations. It always would end up working, but sometimes it took a while to get it 'just right.' More of a nuisance than anything else.

They are identical.
  3. Hammy713

Hammy713 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Then that salesman needs to learn about what he is selling. 160 hp in street and sport, 100 hp in off-road and rain modes.
  4. bigdog99

bigdog99 Weaned and neutered

Oddometer:
    New 2018 1090R sitting in the garage. $1500 off plus some dealer discount and .99% (free money) financing made it irresistible.

Amazing bike in every respect.
    bobw and Kidder like this.
  5. ADV-wannabe

ADV-wannabe Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you'd be better off watching some youtube reviews of the bikes than you are talking to your dealership. Doesn't sound like they know much about them even though they're selling them. It also drops to 100hp when in Rain mode btw.
  6. ChinookEP

ChinookEP Verminator

Oddometer:
    Gents. I have an 2015 1190 R. It's the best bike I've owned to date, and it's my 8th, or 9th bike after Yam's, Buells, Ducati's and BMW's.
    The computer modes are there for a reason, and they work. Don't sweat the 160hp, which i think is really wishful thinking. Probable guess it's more like 145hp real world at my altitude. If you are going offroad for any amount of time, you will easily switch it into Offroad Mode. It's plenty manageable. Lots of power, but not too much. We did a group ride in the fall: Salt Lake to Moab - White Rim - and back to Salt Lake. I was a bit nervous it was too much of a beast for White Rim, but everything was fine.
    When you get back on the highway, you remember to switch it back to Road mode and the Power curve bumps back up to "hang on". It's still plenty manageable. So if the weight trade-off is minimal, 1290 is what i would do. The added niceties would probably be worth it IMO given i see you are in flatland country. I'm 50yo and 5'8" if that helps. Enjoy!
    SASteve and ADV-wannabe like this.
  7. gzrglyde

gzrglyde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I continue to research. Currently, my adventure bike is a 2014 G650 GS. I put a Seat Concepts seat on it, and it is a comfortable ride, and I can easily touch the ground, so I feel confident. I rode a G650 Sertao on the Alaska trip last fall, loaded Jesse hard bags and a couple duffles, and I had no problem with power or anything else...so I am scratching my head wondering what I would need another 80-90hp for? But the power is not the issue for me. It is the seat height. I am 66 years old, in good physical condition, and 5'10" tall with 31" inseam...I can barely touch tip toe on the 1090 and 1290...and it makes me very uneasy with a bike that heavy. I keep reading reviews that say "You won't notice the height when riding"...well no shit Sherlock! It is when I have to put feet on dirt that things get squirrely!!!! So if I really want the KTM...what does it cost to get it lowered an inch...which is all I'd need?
  8. gzrglyde

Oddometer:
    Okay...why would I need 160hp...I rode a Sertao with loaded Jesse bags and a couple duffles on a 5000 mile trip and it had no problems and a whole lot less than 160hp.
  9. Its not Ginger!

Its not Ginger! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe you need the new 790 - it is much smaller than I expect, probably a slow or lower than my old 650 V-Strom, probably a lot lighter as well, with 100BHP probably more than enough poke considering its lower weight, and allegedly the most expensive suspension KTM have fitted to a standard road bike.

Should be a great genuine dual purpose bike - shame that it is going to cost as much as I have just paid for a brand new 1290!!!
  10. SASteve

SASteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    More in the way you "need" a motorcycle, not the way you "need" food and water. Not saying a 1090 is underpowered, but more power is more fun, imo
  11. Rob180

Rob180 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You don't "need" 160HP. Hell, you could get by with an Africa Twin or even less. But, between the 1090 and 1290, weight is close enough to the same, seat height is the same. If you choose the 1290, your wallet will be smaller, but your smile will be larger...
    SASteve likes this.
  12. motoman250f

motoman250f Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just from the few things you have said it looks like your pretty happy with the Sertao. If you don't need the power, suspension, tech,, and cost is in the conversation I would run from the dealer. the 1090/1290 doesn't sound like your bike.IMO by the way these bikes are middle 500's wet not just 500lbs.
    Wookee likes this.
  13. gzrglyde

Oddometer:
    The Sertao and my G650 are fine bikes, but they are certainly not as comfortable or smooth as a twin...or triple. After about 400 miles, my hands started to go numb on the Sertao also. I'd like something more comfy and smoother...but with a seat height I can live with. I have sat astride the BMW F700 and F800, and the Triumph Tigers and do not have a problem with those, so maybe that is where I should look.
  14. gzrglyde

Oddometer:
    Yeah I get what you are sayin...but I have 5 other motorcyles, and having fun on any of them is really not a matter of power. My little XT225 is a blast in the woods, and on a long highway trip, nothing beats the ride of a Road King. I am thinking a bike that weighs in at around 450-500 lbs with 75-100hp is fine. But I honestly don't do rooster tails, or jumps, etc...I am not against it, but I just don't do it...
  15. Hammy713

Hammy713 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Send the front and rear suspension to Konflict or the like, and I think for about $1000, give or take, you can have it properly lowered to your liking and spring rate for your weight and riding style.
    bobw and ADV-wannabe like this.
  16. gzrglyde

Oddometer:
    Hmmm....well to me that is just nuts to have to do that on a brand new bike...I will have to look at other bikes or go find my 70s disco boots with the platforms... heehee
  17. Hammy713

Hammy713 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There are lots of good bikes out there.

Good luck in your search.
  18. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    BMW Sertao and the 1290S have approximately the same seat height. I'd recommend borrowing a 1290 for at least a full throttle run up through 3rd or 4th gear. If that doesn't put a grin on your face, stick with the your Sertao. From your comments, it kind of seems like you're leaning that way and if that's what works for you, go with it.
  19. ADV-wannabe

ADV-wannabe Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you even ridden the bike yet?! As it sounds like you have yet to do so the 160hp is still just an abstract number to you. On paper that number looks huge, but in reality it's just icing on the cake. Come back after riding the bike and tell us how "unnecessary" it is then. The bike is anything but unmanageable. It's more fun than any other vehicle I've had the pleasure of riding or driving.

After you get that done, then you can decide if the extra effort of getting the bike lowered to your liking is worth everything these amazing bikes have to offer. Otherwise you should look elsewhere. KTM probably doesn't have the boring 5000mile bike you're looking for.
  20. Bluesilver

Bluesilver Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, the bigger KTM is not for you then as you have stated, it is too tall and heavy.

I would wait and ride the 790 if you want a KTM and a thrill ride. 32.7inch seat height at low then 30.7 with a lowering kit at 372.5 in weight, ticks all your boxes.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/ktm/790-duke/2018/