KTM 1090 0r 1290

Discussion in 'Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much HP' started by gzrglyde, Dec 5, 2018.

1. ls6777

ls6777 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cost $1k and got lowered 1.25 inches. About the most they could do because of how the back shock is designed, but I got new springs set to my weight and all settings setup custom for me.
    ADV-wannabe likes this.
  2. daveburton

daveburton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chaps,

I am looking at 1090 R and S and 1290 R and S. I need seat height to be 830, (820 to 835 would work). I have 2 questions that you might be able to help me with.

1. Should I buy the 1090 or the 1290, I like the relative simplicity of the 1090 and it seems to have all the power I'll need.
    2. Is it better to start with an S and buy spoked 19/19 optional wheels, drop the forks 1" and fit a non linear spring on the back get it down 1" or the R buy 19/17 spoked wheels then drop the triple clamps 1" and replace the rear shock to drop both ends 2".

I think I could end with the same height. On the 1090, with manual suspension might be easier, with the 1290 might be impossible. Any views. All feedback much appreciated. I've agonizing over this for a while now and have an 1190std 2014. Will I find the 1090 and 1290 much different.

thanks in advance.
  3. ls6777

ls6777 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I lowered my 1290 R 1.25". That's about the most you can do with the design of the rear shock. I wanted to get 2" drop also, but could only get 1.25". That includes changing out the shock bump stop for a much shorter one. If you go full 2" drop in the back, I was told I'd be hitting the bump stop constantly, even on the road.
  4. daveburton

Oddometer:
    thanks, I was thinking of a new and shorter shock.
  5. bikedad

bikedad Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I found two things over the years... by the one you like to look at the most (regardless of brand), and aim for as much power as possible. My only disappointment is plastic tank. It feels cheap and there is a lot of other plastic used in many places high end bikes don't use it. But the motor, the motor, the motor!

For me the power isn't to go fast, the fun is in controling it. It's always there and you know it every second your on the gas. I bought the 1290 1-week before it snowed. Did a 300 km ride and wow!! (got to 180kms/hr by "accident").

I was attracted by the fancy display (like a crow to shiny objects). I did not want to look at the old style, all day long, that was my real motivation (plus 160hp). I know kinda stupid.

However, that being said I have had a few weird (those all night kind) dreams where the electronics failed and then I was troubleshooting! Then I realized this is not new technology. It's in most vehicles now, even lower end cars, and has been around for a long time. Just make sure you maintain your battery and be real careful about charging and you won't stress the electronics. My small charger takes my battery to 16v. Wee bit high imo so I let it recover to below 14 before I hook it back up. Btw the bat voltage meter on my bike is 0.2v less than my fluke meter reading
  6. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So what happens if you're in the middle of nowhere and the fob doesn't work? Is there a backup way to start the bike?
  7. bikedad

bikedad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A second fob haha. There's a small area on the faring to touch both fobs to. So really three ways to start it.

But let's no go there I don't need to be having any "won't start" bad dreams!!!
  8. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think that area you touch the fob to is only gonna help if the fob's battery is dead, not if the fob fails in any other way (or if the failure is on the bike itself). I was hoping there was a hidden key cylinder somewhere which bypasses the electronics but I guess not.
  9. SASteve

SASteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don’t know if that’s the case or not, but worst case pop the battery out
  10. daveburton

Oddometer:
    Has anyone traded a 1290s and bought a 1090s
  11. bikedad

bikedad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Correct! Potentially the proximity function could fail and/or the fob battery but It should still work. Since the backup fob appears to have no battery I'm 99.9% sure the "area" on the bike emits a signal using bike battery power that the computer monitors for a recognizable "key"

Starting is certainly more complicated than a simple switch, a relay, wires and connectors :(

But again all that said.... this fob business is old tech now in cars, and we've always had failure to worry about with machines. Just wait till you get used to not fumbling for keys, an auto steering lock and also gas cap. We will end up wondering How did we ever survive in the olden days? Moving from points to Electronic ignition was probably met with plenty of worry. I hated the fact I lost a tuning cabability back in the day. Now I never think about it and in fact I'm happy I don't have to adjust timing and dwell.

Trust me I'm being optimistic!!!!
    I'm still trying to convince my self all this computer stuff will be just fine.

I think we can go along way to insuring reliability by monitoring the resting voltage and charging voltage of the battery. This can be done via the dash. Also by keeping a spare fob battery on the bike.

Look at the bright side??? you don't have a throttle cable to worry about.

The alternative is to look at older machines. I think the real problems will be 15-20 years from now. It may be hard to source sensors, computers or even dealer diagnostics that will be required to recognise new parts. Big push now to eliminate "right to fix", just look at apple.
  12. DevilDog78

DevilDog78 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Perfect timing for this thread. I'm pondering the same question. My current "ADV" style bike is a wee-strom 650 which is a terrific little bike but always leaves me wanting for more. It's just too stressed-out cruising at the ridiculous central FL turnpike/toll road speeds that are required to get me to the poor-to-marginal twisties we have here in FL. I test rode the R1200 GS yesterday just to rule it out, and following my test ride my instincts were confirmed. Great bike, but it did not leave me with a sh$%-eating grin following the test ride. The guys at my local KTM shops won't allow test rides so I need to find a dealer where I can ride the 1090 and 1290 back to back. I'm 90% road so I think the SA 1290 will be best but want to be sure. gzrglyde, let me know where you find a test ride!
  13. crossbones

crossbones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For what it's worth...
    I'm not a speed demon, and came from BMW's. (Which are the best at what they do with out a doubt)
    During my test ride on a 1290, I felt that I entered a hidden world that everyone had kept me from....The secret back room filled with super models at your favorite neighborhood bar...
    I was initially interested in a Duke, but the SA was the most comfortable bike I had ridden for my freakish body shape.
    I don't really do any off road, save an occasional gravel trip, So I use street tires.
    The thing that struck me was how fun it is in 3rd and 4th gear.
    There is a lot of power on tap. It's nice to be able to pull into traffic and be going 80mph in a couple of seconds.

I rode one 1190, which was very similar, but not quite what I was looking for....somehow, it just didn't feel as comfortable for what I want to do.

A friend let me ride his 1090, and while the wheels are larger, and I had to kind of get used to the turning difference, it had about the same fun feel to it.
    The only reason I could even tell that the 1290 is more powerful is that my friend was on my bike, and I had a hard time keeping up with him on the highway on the way home....Then again, I just don't like going faster than 80-85 on a bike.

The local dealer will let you test ride one if you give him some proof of interest.

I bought two BMW's from a dealership not too far from me and they encouraged test rides.
    I was stunned to go there looking at a third, and a new salesman wouldn't let me ride it.
    Now I appreciate the guy because I never would have been drawn into the KTM shop.
  14. bikedad

bikedad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode dual purpose and dirt bikes all my life. Near end of season last winter, I traded my snowmobile for a tricked out gsxr750 and I loved it!!! I then had a z1000 (naked) I was hooked on sport type handling and the silky 4 cylinder motor.

But I knew adv was more practical for me. And with fall in full swing I sold the z1000 cheap-ish. and figured I'd get a winter steal of a deal if I was patient. So I tried an African twin. Totally uninspiring! Then a tiger 800. It was revy and felt very sporty and figured that was it, my trap was set and I just had to wait for a winter deal.

To be thorough, I Stupidly went to the ktm dealer just to "see" a 1290 in the flesh (160hp had me thinking). It was November too cold to test ride......well now there's a 1290 in my garage. 10-days after buying it a rare heat wave melted snows off the main roads so I grabbed a rare opportunity and did a 300km ride and wow! It's sporty and nimble, fast!!!!, tall as hell and way smoother than I would have imagined. I'm very very happy. Best smile machine I've ever had.

I do miss the gsxr though but being an old guy it hurt my neck to ride. Funny comparison I know, but I swear there's got to be some recessive sport bike genes in that 1290. It is simply an exciting machine to ride.

To the OP. 1290 Is a very tall bike. If you have not tried the tiger think about it. I think its a lot shorter and very smooth and peppy. Gas mileage is amazing too and the build quality kicks Kim's dirt bike plastics...just saying. Tiger went to tft this year so there should be some good deals on the older clusters.
  15. bikedad

bikedad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you like/want/need a shit eating grin (above all else) buy the 1290. There is simply no adv = to it In that department....on the planet!!!!!!
  16. Mark907

Mark907 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:

1290 here & loving it!
  17. bikedad

bikedad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Told you!
  18. CanineCombatives

CanineCombatives the sound of inevitability

Oddometer:
    "I just dont like going faster than 80-85 on a bike"

-priceless
  19. crossbones

crossbones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I said I don't like it...
    Not... I don't do it...
  20. Its not Ginger!

Its not Ginger! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Mrs first bike was a Vee-Strom that I then took off her as a commuter / errand bike and I know exactly what you mean, I loved the Strom and it had a lot of character for its size / power, but not so much for my only "fun bike".

I have currently got an 1190S with a 1290S turning up in a couple of weeks (KTM UK Annual "Fire Sale") and last year I bought a 1090S as a commuter for me and a Tourer for the Mrs, this is one hell of an upgrade over a 650 Strom, more power everywhere and better handling and surprisingly similar MPG.

Before I decided which bike to chop for the 1290S I got the Mrs to try the 1190, she had done a few thousand miles on the 1090 and liked it a LOT, but we went out on the 1090 / 1190 and swapped for just a few miles - after which she had that grin you speak off, the 1190 engine just has the wow factor - and so does the 1290S - in some ways I prefer the way the power of the 1190 builds, in other ways I prefer the huge off idle torque of the 1290, depends on the mood I am in and the riding I am doing.

The main point is you will LOVE the 1090S, and it is a lot of bike for the money, especially in the UK where they are giving them away right now (20% discount), but once you have a go on the 1290 you will just have to buy it, so don't test one unless you are happy to spend that much on a bike!