KTM 1090 0r 1290

Discussion in 'Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much HP' started by gzrglyde, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Gonefishen

Gonefishen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ve been reading every peice of information I can find on these bikes trying to decide on what to replace my 2006 950 with.Just want to say thank you to everyone for there input struggled with the decision between an 1190 and 1290.Im happy to say I found a lightly used 2018 SAR I’m picking it up on Thursday.I can’t wait for the first ride
    The_Eccentric and bikedad like this.
  2. bikedad

bikedad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1290 or 1090?
  3. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had the same question, but realized he said SAR.

SAR = 1290, AR = 1090
    Wodger63 likes this.
  4. bikedad

bikedad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lol. I have the 2018 SAR with 300kms, and didnt even know that!

The 1290 was a great choice!!!!

Yesterday i took the tank off and gave it the general once over to catch any obvious assembly faults. I found a few stray sand grains in the air box. So i sealed it (light coating of teflon grease) all up carfully . I think the sand got in at the bottom of the fiter. It takes a good deal of care to insure its seated properly on its rounded lip. Certainly not a “positive” fit.

At any rate not overly concerned just glad i caught it before i hit the gravel roads. My one and only ride was through a lightly snow covered land scape. Not much dust in the air and i dont think the roads were sanded at any piont.
  5. Gonefishen

Gonefishen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It’s pretty sad that they haven’t resolved this air filter issue yet I’m well aware of it and plan on addressing it immediately had a Rottweiler on my 950 worked great probably go that route on this one too
  6. bikedad

bikedad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought they did fix it, clearly not. Very simple for ktm to remould the filter seating area to make an idiot proof sealing surface. Guess they'd have to read forums to know about the problem first ;) Your going to love that v-twin!!!!!
  7. Gonefishen

Gonefishen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I rode my new to me 1290 SAR all day yesterday and just have to say if your thinking about it just do it amazing bike in every way
    ls6777 likes this.
  8. bikedad

bikedad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is very solid advice! The only reasons not to buy the 1290 is cause you don't like plastic or your worried about it being to fast. Both get left in the driveway once you ride it. And yes it's too much plastic and yes it's too fast;)

There's only one valid reason and that's very short legs!!!
  9. pjr6758

pjr6758 n00b

Oddometer:
    I finally got my 1090R out in the California Desert. I rode out to California City on the highway from my home in SoCal (110 miles one way). This is my first adventure bike after riding desert rigs and dual sports for the past 45 years. The bike is amazing to say the least. It rides like my WR450. I took the bike on the same trails that I have ridden on my 450 and it did not shy away from the terrain. Except for a few harsh suspension hits on a few deep woops, the bike killed it on the trails. Really impressed. My brothers GS would have struggled and likely gone down in a few places. IMO, if you want a bike that can handle off-road excursions efficiently and not at a snail's pace, and also be able to bomb it on the highway, then the 1090 is the bike. Looking forward to more adventures on my 1090R
    Hico, bigdog99, bobw and 4 others like this.