KTM 1090 Adventure - Chain Lubrication Question

Discussion in 'Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much HP' started by dwinkawatasaki, Oct 9, 2018.

1. dwinkawatasaki

dwinkawatasaki n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

Coming to KTM from BMW R1200 with shaft drive (no lubrication needed) and I have a question regarding chain lubrication. What's the general rule for how often the chain should be lubed? I'll probably be 70/30 street/dirt.

Any brand preference?

Thanks!
  2. kokos79

kokos79 Nomad

Oddometer:
    KTM 1X90s have a built in chain lubrication warning system. The chain rubbing on the chain slider starts to make a horrible loud noise that sounds like there's gravel in your clutch basket. For me that happens around every 600km, give or take, less when driving in the wet.
    2whl-hoop likes this.
  3. Ledwardio

Ledwardio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There isn’t really a guide to the frequency of when to do it as it varies so much depending on the conditions you are riding in.

Lubing the chain is only one half of the equation too - cleaning it is really important too.

Basically you can’t do it too often, but you can do it too little LOL
    ScooterNoMore likes this.
  4. microtom

microtom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I clean and lube mine every few hundred miles or after a gnarly dirt/sand/water session.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    3rdgeargrndrr likes this.
  5. hoss1

hoss1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Enjoy your new bike and welcome to the world of the chain. Here are some thoughts https://advrider.com/f/threads/1290-sa-owners-thread.1042722/page-332#post-29068628
  6. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    Lube Every ride
  7. kaertner

kaertner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What does it say in the user manual that came with the bike?
  8. nigelj

nigelj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Every 2-300 miles, or fit an oiler...I recommend Tutoro, Scottoilers are messy fuckers!
  9. GCecchetto

GCecchetto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dupont Chain Saver is the hot ticket. You can’t go wrong lubing before every ride, assuming you ride at least 100-150 miles when you ride. If you ride less miles than that on road, you can go a couple of rides.

In the dirt, clean and lube every day, it only takes five minutes. I carry one of these with me on trips. In five minutes I’ve knocked the majority of the crap off the chain and lubed it. The one hitch in the git-a-long for you is that you have a 1090 with no center stand, unless you’ve installed one, which make the chain maintenance a pain in the ass.
    DirtJack and Smallfry506 like this.
  10. marbee40

marbee40 Some Fear is Good

Oddometer:
    Lots of products out there to choose from. The most important lube is the one you use....often. Your chain WILL remind you. You'll especially hear it when backing the bike up in the garage or driveway. Click clack clack.

I commute 2-3 days a week, 30 miles each way. I take it off-road on weekends and on long highway trips. I carry a small can of my favorite stuff in the tank bag. When I lube, I just roll the bike forward as I spray, no center stand required. I carry an old rag and wipe off the excess when I'm done. I clean my bike after every dirt ride and use a chain brush to get the junk out.

Two most important things to watch are chain maintenance and tire pressure. Look EVERY day. Don't be lazy or either one will bite you hard.
  11. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree with GCecchetto on using DuPont Chainsaver. A chain will stay clean to the touch if you clean all of the grease off the surface of the chain when new. Spray just the rollers while spinning the rear wheel to distribute the wax/teflon not only on the rollers but also the valley between sprocket teeth. The spray dries in a minute or so and you are ready for another 400 (or so) miles.

I have never heard the chain noise mentioned above. Maybe it's the Chainsaver or maybe it is because I run my chains a bit on the loose side.
  12. JdFan

JdFan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got 22,000 miles out of my last chain oiling it every 500 miles (street miles) If I'm in dirt & sand then every day regardless of miles.
  13. DR Steve

DR Steve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I too, like the teflon chain lube. We don't get the DuPont stuff here but I'm using a Wurth dry lube product that works really well. I'll never go back to using messy oil type chain lubes.
  14. kaertner

Oddometer:
    Teflon is just a brand name of PTFE.
  15. Jaimoto

Jaimoto Spaniard in Chile

Oddometer:
  16. RCR001

RCR001 MOTO CHASER Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is there a place where the Wurth DRY LUBE GREASE can be ordered in North America? ...Had a look with no luck...
  17. GCecchetto

GCecchetto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I get the DuPont Chain Saver from Amazon.
  18. JasonK94Z

JasonK94Z Crash Tester

Oddometer:
    I use WD-40 Dry Lube with Teflon. Works well and can be found on the hardware/tools isle in Walmart.

2003 Kawasaki KLR 650
    2014 KTM 1190 Adventure
  19. kaertner

Oddometer:
    Teflon is PTFE
  20. k4df4l

k4df4l Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think I heard somewhere that Teflon might be PTFE...not sure ;)

Anywho, I too have converted to Chain Saver over this past summer dry season. I really like how it sheds a lot of dry dirt and junk. We'll see how it does when we get into the wet again.