1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

KTM 1190 Adv R Price. Buy USA or Austria/Germany?

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by Trailblazin, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Trailblazin

Trailblazin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm likely getting orders to Germany here soon and I'm wondering if I should buy this bike in the USA or wait till I'm overseas?
  2. tacosupreme

tacosupreme Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buy it stateside. It doesn't seem logical, but they cost more from the factory in Austria than they do in the U.S. Plus registering it when you get back home will be much easier if it was originally a US bike. I'm not saying it can't be done, but you know how the .gov is... I did a couple tours in Germany myself, have a nice tour!
  3. PatSmith

PatSmith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Taco supreme has a point.
    Trying to import a euro bike could present a lot of problems. Smog issues come to mine. I think dmv here look for the emission sticker. I think euro bike would not have the USA emission sticker.
  4. RichyRich68

RichyRich68 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Check the dollar vs Euro to see if there is a financial advantage with one over the other.
  5. Tjeu

Tjeu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    in Belgium a standard Adventure costs about 13.500 euro. A (very) well equiped one will set you back 18.000 euro.
    So that's $18.500 for the base model and $24.500 for a neer to full option.

Dunno about the prices in the U.S.....
  6. RichyRich68

RichyRich68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I picked up my standard last week in California for $18500 (out the door after tax, licensing, everything). Looks like nearly identical pricing.
  7. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Just to inflate my own dream, buy it in Denmark. 260.000,- Dkr(48.000 $).

:eek1
  8. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    Buy stateside or go through AAFES once you get there. I bought a bike once while deployed through them. But if you do buy a Euro model you will have to bring to US specs.
  9. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    What nobody is mentioning is that the local prices quoted here all include VAT (19/20% in GER/AUT) and other local vehicle taxes. I assume being US military you won't have to pay those if you register the bike on American plates?

I would figure that out so that you can properly compares prices.
  10. Keks

Keks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Purchase price is one thing. As mentioned you will better want to think about how to get the bike over the pond and back. Will the USAF pay for both ways transport? Can you buy the bike tax-free in Germany? Will KTM honor a U.S. warranty in Germany? There´s a two year manufacturer´s warranty on the bikes in Germany and you can purchase an additional two years for a nominal amount.

Should you be heading to the southwestern parts of Germany (Ktown, Ramstein, Frankfurt) let me know once you´re set up and I give you a tour of the area.
    Cheers
    Chris
  11. Tjeu

Tjeu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Taxes in Belgium are 21%. And you will have to pay them (unless you have an enterprise). Maybe you can collect them back, but it will not be easy...
  12. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Are you just saying that or do you actually know how vehicles from US military personnel stationed in Europe are handled?

Even as a private individual you don't pay VAT or other local taxes if you are exporting the vehicle (even to another EU country, as you will have to pay it there), and I think this also applies to US vehicles that stay in the country, but are formally US registered.

This is why it's popular to buy cars in countries in the North of Europe and export them, as the local prices are insanely high, but the net price is lower than in most others.
  13. Trailblazin

Oddometer:
    Every dealer I talked to is quoting $16,799 for it in the states. I've been considering the new water cooled 1200GS Adventure too but it's at $22k. $5k more for a bike thats not as capable offroad? If KTM backed their bikes up with a similar warranty as BMW I would be signing papers right now.
  14. RichyRich68

RichyRich68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is no way $16,800 is otd.
  15. Johno33772

Johno33772 Johnny Africa

Oddometer:
    $16800 is MSRP + Tax+ Tag + registration & possible freight/prep
  16. Trailblazin

Oddometer:
    Yes but the BMW is 22k + fee's as well. So still roughly 5k more.
  17. Tjeu

Tjeu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have no idea, I know how to export, which is already a bunch of misery. And I don't know anybody who's waiting for a US trooper to show up and buy something in a 'special' maner. Maybee in other countries is not difficault, but in Belgium, is always miserie.

Although I must say, the former US army troops left us a nice legacy in the past!

http://www.amusingplanet.com/2012/12/chatillon-car-graveyard-in-belgium.html

[​IMG]
  18. strider.deano

strider.deano Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a mess! One positive though....you don't have a swastika on your flag.
  19. strider.deano

strider.deano Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you know anyone in Germany? Have them price a 1190 for locally. It maybe less than cost effective if you forced to add all the US specs to a Euro bike when you return.

You may know this already.....

"Department of Defense ID cardholders in Germany (service members, family members, and assigned civilians and some contractors) are allowed to register their personally-owned vehicles (POV) with the U.S. Military. These vehicles are not subject to German taxes or German vehicle registration.
    DoD ID card holders are eligible to obtain a USAREUR (United States Army, Europe) driver's license. With this license, ID card holders are authorized to drive a USAREUR-plated vehicle or other German-registered vehicles. They are also authorized to purchase a limited amount of gasoline or diesel fuel without paying taxes."
  20. dab68

dab68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I certainly say that here in Europe we have a restricted law about emission. It is call (actually) EURO4 for the bike and EURO 5 for the automobiles. They are restricted normatives.
    Be sure that the ktm adv1190 are the same for all over the world, speaking about emission.

Here in Italy, a 1190R without bags costs 14.150€ (tax 22% included)
    The base model costs 1000€ less (without electronic suspension).
    Be patient and buy it in USA. Think about the warranty.
    Ciao