KTM 1190 and 1190R owners show us your bikes

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by Bikeaddict, Feb 3, 2013.

1. PatSmith

PatSmith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Chris for posting the picture of the gps mount. Is there much vibration?
  2. aspaldo

aspaldo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2014 1190 with its stable mate haha:
    [​IMG]
  3. HelmetHead Cycle

HelmetHead Cycle Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Waiting to be stolen.
  4. veesquared

veesquared Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. aspaldo

aspaldo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not too worried about it. The biker boys and their ilk are generally not interested in these bikes. I had my FJR parked the same way and never had an issue.

Also, I have full coverage insurance for that type of thing.
  6. car94

car94 What's this Box for?

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][/IMG]
  7. ChrisK7

ChrisK7 KTM crash dummy

Oddometer:
  8. ChrisK7

ChrisK7 KTM crash dummy

Oddometer:
    Just took it out for a spin on some dirt back roads and some sand and dirt off roading. The RAM mount with the Montana GPS works perfect. No vibration or movement at all in some pretty nasty high speed rough stuff.

I also installed the Oxford Adventure heated grips and wired them into the bikes wiring for the heated grips control off the dash. They worked great also but I may go back to the regular Oxford switch mounted by itself for quicker access without going through the menu to get to them. Don't know yet.

Put some orange hand guards on because, like a dip shit, I broke one of the stock black hand guards when I was installing the heated grips. Got a little carried away prying the hand guard away to clear the throttle tube.
    On another note, there are no throttle cables, there is instead a rotary switch that the throttle tube connects to.
    I did have to sand down the raised ribs on the throttle tube so the heated grips would slide on.

I have the larger insert in the Wings exh. runs perfect. The stock can weighed right at 15lbs the Wings weighs right at 5lbs.

The Cyclops Optimus LED lights are the shizz at night. I have them wired into the high beam blue wire behind the head light with a switch so I can run the regular lights or the LED's and switch them off with the low beam.
    They are the 10 degree lights and really throw some light out. I would say for me, they are a true 100 mph light in the desert at night. Love them.

The touring windscreen works pretty well for me in the low position. I'm 6' tall. In the upper position there seems to be more air coming from the sides in toward the rider but the rest of the air seems to go well over the top of my helmet.

The tank bag is an older version SW-MOTECH Bags-Connection QUICK-LOCK EVO City Tankbag.

Rear rack is SW-MOTECH Steel Toprack to fit my Givi 46L topcase.

R&G radiator guard
    For a skid plate I think I'm going to go with the Touratech one and make my own side stand relocation bracket to get it off the engine cases.
    I also put some bar risers on as well as a couple more RAM mounts for radar and Ipod.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    Did you happen to take pics of the heated grip and LED light install? If so could you post them up
  10. ChrisK7

ChrisK7 KTM crash dummy

Oddometer:
    The grips were pretty straight forward. I did have to sand down the throttle tube ribs that grip the original grips but not a big deal. I used a belt sander to do that.

There is a plug inside the headlight housing that is for the heated grips. It is a FRS-106 2-Pin waterproof coupler http://www.qualitycycleparts.com/FRS_106_Female_2_Terminal_Waterproof_Coupler_set_p/frs-106%20female%20coupler%20set.htm with two wires, brown and some other color, I forget now.
    It was the only other unused plug in the housing.
    That plug also has the mating plug in it but without terminals. If you can find the right terminals for that mating plug it would be better.
    These are the terminals for that plug http://www.qualitycycleparts.com/FRS_101_male_terminal_pin_10_pcs_p/frs-101 male terminal pin.htm

I cut it off and just used regular spade connectors to hook up directly to the grip wires. I did have to make a two into one pig tail for each grip because there are only two wires in the existing plug that has to go to two wires off each grip, pos, and neg.

I then activated the grip heat in the menu on the dash and have the option of three heat settings from the multifunction switch on the handle bars.

As for the lights I just ran power off the battery to a relay in the wiring harness that I mounted on the right side of the frame next to the air box under the tank. There is a handy little recess there.

The switch for the lights I mounted next to the 12v acc. port on the left side of the dash. I ran power to the switch from the blue power wire that plugs into the headlight for high beams.
    This way I can run just the regular lights or, when I flip the switch, I have the regular high beam and LED's which I can control with just the dimmer switch.

The red wire that is tapped into the blue high beam is what goes to the LED's switch.
    You can't see it in this picture but behind the black headlight plug is the white FRS-106 2-Pin waterproof coupler for the heated grips.
    [​IMG]

This is where I located the relay before cutting the wires shorter and securing them to the frame next to the air box.
    [​IMG]

One other note, it isn't necessary to remove all the upper plastic to get to just the headlight housing. I found that if I just removed the 3 or 4 fasteners that secure the silver body panel that holds the turn signals and pry and bend it slightly out of the way without removing the rear part of it you can get to the 4 fasteners that hold the white light housing in. You also have to remove the windscreen to do this.

I also run 4 powered plugs from the battery to the handlebar for accessories like my GPS, radar det., Ipod, heated gear, and communication system. They are the same plugs that a typical battery Tender uses so I can also charge the battery if needed.
    I usually run two of them on a relay for switched ignition power so when I turn off the bike things like the radar detector will power down too so I don't inadvertently drain the battery by leaving something on in the middle of nowhere.
  11. Dearnla

Dearnla Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good farkles. Thanks for the installation guides!:D
  12. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
    Purchased Friday. It was warm enough for a ride on Sunday. Holy crap I love this bike!!!! :clap

[​IMG]
  13. chief_lee_visceral

chief_lee_visceral Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Then you will want an aftermarket exhaust. Trust me on this.
  14. trinitydirt

trinitydirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Farkles include.............. KTM skid plate, white windscreen/black KTM sticker, orange KTM stickers on front fender, 30mm Enduro Engineering bar risers, SW-Motech rear rack, Givi Maxia 55L top case, Wolfman large rolie bag, and scratched up crash bars from taking a soil sample:evil
    [​IMG]
    DeeGee likes this.
  15. trinitydirt

Oddometer:
  16. Todd-Squad

Todd-Squad See Ya, Bye.

Oddometer:
    Did your crash bars bend during the soil sampling process? From this picture, it appears the bars are much closer to the fairing on the gear shift side, than on the foot brake side. Maybe it is just the angle the picture was taken.
  17. veesquared

veesquared Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you tell me why the KTM mount is crap. thinking about buying one . I have the touratech mount and the GPS lockable mount and a Garmin Monterra. The whole thing is over two pounds. Light is right. . OTOH I hate drilling holes in my bikes. Tia
  18. trinitydirt

Oddometer:
    Good catch.......they did bend and just barely touched the tank. I loosened everything up and that is as close to normal as I could get them.
  19. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:

I keep an AR, deters well :wink:
  20. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:
    I almost have about 3k on my 800XC and they are about 50%