KTM 1290 Super Adventure S vs Multistrada 1200 (with some GSw for good measure)

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by nostatic, Feb 4, 2018.

1. KleinRS

KleinRS n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the advices! I’m also addicted to AGATT :)
    I’ll try some heat deflectors...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  2. nostatic

nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can try New Century - that's where I bought my SA-S.

I usually avoid lowering pegs as you can lose cornering clearance but depends on the details.

The Multi is a much more manic engine. I don't find the 1290 to be crazy, it is smoothly stupid fast. The Multi tends more towards a bit lumpy power delivery but when it comes on it jumps. I don't find the SA-S has the same jump, but it also doesn't have the gaps in torque.
  3. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Motorcyclist dynoed both. The multi engine is much stronger. 140hp/86 ft.lbs of torque vs 121hp/76 ft.lbs.

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2018-adventure-bike-shootout-primer
    TGibson79 likes this.
  4. nostatic

Oddometer:
  5. relayer4u

relayer4u Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Your review helped a lot with making my decision to get the Multistrada 1200. Admitting to myself that I'm in no shape to wrestle any 500 lb bike in the dirt helped some also!
    BobcatSig and BruceWA like this.
  6. nostatic

Oddometer:
    Ammending this after another off-road excursion on the Multi. This time the last mile on a 150 mile (each way) trip to a wedding reception. The location was in the high desert off the main road. First part of the dirt was ok, then there was an uphill section that was a bit soft. NOT fun - the Multi and the Angel GTs couldn't hide their true colors :D. Bike was all over the place. Now that the SAS is back in the garage with the TKC70s, I want to go out and do a direct comparison of that stretch.
  7. nostatic

Oddometer:
    Another couple of random thoughts. The SAS is closing in on 7K miles, Multi is about 13K. The last 3 weeks I was only on the Multi as the KTM went into the shop for a fuel gauge problem and new tires. The tires were the easy part, the fuel sender it turns out was harder. KTM doesn't have any, won't be able to get a replacement until Oct. Once KTM finally confirmed that with the shop I picked up the bike as I can ride it with a stuck fuel gauge - I just reset the trip meter every fill.

The first day of the TKC70s was a bit odd. Haven't had a tire with that much "knob" in a long time. I found it really liked to track the grooves on the freeway. Now a couple of days later, I've either gotten used to it or the tire is scrubbed in. Hopefully this weekend I'll get up into the hills to see how it handles on dirt which was the goal of that tire. I think I've given up some road capabilities with the tire, but it isn't terrible. I also haven't gotten into the proper canyons yet either.

I was having a bit of bother with heat, in part because I had trouble getting the Ergo seat into the high position (wasn't being forceful enough). Since I got the new seats I've been running the seat in the low position, which was OK as the seat is a bit taller than stock. But I think that saddle in the low position doesn't give enough space above the cylinder head, so it can get a bit toasty when the weather is on the hot side. We'll see how the tall position works out.

It really is rather shocking how smooth the engine is down low around town. The Multi isn't happy at 2K, and if you want it to jump you have to be in the right rev range. The SAS doesn't care and will pull from anywhere. And just keeps going...
  8. goodcat8

goodcat8 I can pass this guy..... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any updates after a 4 month hiatus?
  9. RoughestRider

RoughestRider n00b

Oddometer:
    A most excellent thread! Thank you nostatic for the deep analysis and insight. You write really well. I've been toying around the Multi 1260 since I am ready for an update from my 2013 Multi. Looked hard at the SAS as it checks all the boxes except one. No center stand is a deal killer for me. How can a tourer with chain drive not have a center stand? I found a great deal on a 1260 in Brea so I pulled the trigger. Been going back and forth whether it was worth the upgrade but your analysis really helped. I have zero heat issues on my 2013 so I am a little concerned from the posts here. I do not want the full Termi especially with the new laws. I hope it's a non-issue. I am excited and in the process of buying all the farkles.
  10. Hardwrkr

Hardwrkr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great comparo as I'm interested in one of these models as well and need the feedback.
  11. Two Tigers

Two Tigers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The TKC70’s are are frigging awesome tyres both on and surprisingly good off road. I was a bit the same when I first got them but wouldn’t use anything else now. The pressures played a bit of difference though, particularly when new if you run them too high they feel a bit funny. I run 34 / 38 on my super adventure. Will bump them up a bit if loaded up on a trip but that seems like pretty good pressure for them on the SA.
  12. pwh

pwh Just Farkin' GO

Oddometer:
    Shopping for a new toy... Any updates to this thread? Thanks!