KTM 2002 Tech Bulletin on Spokes

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by meat popsicle, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Nom de Guerre

Nom de Guerre Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just got word from my local shop yesterday. My wheel is IN. Unfortunately, I am out of town until Wednesday, so the swap will have to wait until then. :thumb
  2. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    That is quicker than KTM NA said it would happen... :scratch Good for ya!
  3. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Any all y'all FF dealers get your notice from KTM NA on the recall?

:ear
  4. dirtrider

dirtrider Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :nah
  5. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    :doh
    :lurk
  6. Scoot Jockey

Scoot Jockey BST Faithful

Oddometer:
    I rode down to the dealer in my area to give him my name, VIN, and a copy of the recall notice so that they could get the ball rolling on the replacement rim. They said they would check it out, but they didn't know if KTM would let them do the work on it since they aren't a "certified" Adventure dealer :huh. I kinda thought that was just a 950 thing. I do hope it works out, since the nearest certified dealer is over 300 miles away.

I wonder if non-certified dealers can work on dukes, lc4 enduros/supermotos, and rallye bikes?
  7. Nom de Guerre

Nom de Guerre Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here it is...

My '02 640 Adventure front wheel recall completed (replaced with the new Excel rim):

[​IMG]

Looks beefier here:

[​IMG]

And if memory serves me well enough, these nipples look bigger too :thumb

[​IMG]
  8. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    DAMN IT! Good for you LC4 Pilot! :thumb Did you dealer say anything about problemas? :ear
  9. Nom de Guerre

Nom de Guerre Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not at all. They ordered the wheel, did the replacement, and bled my front brake at no charge. The original wheel will go back to the factory.

Everything went quite smoothly.

The new Excel wheel definitely looks beefier in just about every way than the stocker.
  10. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Cool. Good onya lc4pilot.

rant on.

Nobody seems to know anything (I believe the technical term is sweet f*ck all) about any wheel recall down in these parts :bluduh Pisses me off. Thank doG for the aftermarket world and a checkbook or I'd be dead twice over from these damned KTM wheels by now.

KTMNA really needs to get their act together on these things. :nod :deal

rant off.
  11. G.Kennedy

G.Kennedy ...

Oddometer:
    Fuckin A ... that looks nice ..... wonder what the factory boyz would say if they got my relaced w/ Buchannons stainless spoked wheels back in return !!! Oh well, I am going ride them until they fold.

Nice work. Did yours have cracks ??
  12. Nom de Guerre

Nom de Guerre Long timer

Oddometer:
    No cracks, but I did notice a considerable difference in the tone of each spoke when lightly flicked. I think some of them were quite a bit more loose than they should be. That's something I hadn't really kept track of until just before swapping the wheel out.
  13. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    well KTM Dealers? (here) heard anything yet? :ear no? then are ya pissed off yet? gawd damn it! :baldy
  14. Velocibiker

Velocibiker Adventure Antagonist

Oddometer:
    Well, seeing that LC4 Pilot got his new wheel, I gave my dealer a call today to check on the status of mine. Answer: "On order". No ETA.

I'll just sit back & wait..... :1drink
  15. Scoot Jockey

Oddometer:
    My dealer has been a bit slow in finding out any info on this for me, so this morning I put in call to the head of customer relations at KTMNA. I only got his voice mail, so I left him a message and my number, and within 30 minutes he called me back!:eek1 He said that this recall is still in the works, and that they will be getting letters out to all of us, and our dealers very shortly. What time frame "shortly" will be remains to be seen. So I guess we just need to be patient, and keep riding our Adventures knowing that the next stoppie we do may be our last.

Sorta strange how KTM Mattighoffen takes care of most owners promply and directly, but KTMNA has to pay people to figure out if a recall affecting "all countries" really means North American customers are included.

Regards,
    Scoot Jockey
  16. G.Kennedy

G.Kennedy ...

Oddometer:
    Ummmm .... Dramaqueen .... Have you heard of any wheels actually failing? I would love to see the photos you have as evidence ......

I have seen some dented and cracked rims. (mines got 4 or 5 cracks) And broken and rusty spokes. I have NOT heard of any wheel failing to the point of a crash.

How about you give us a photo the cracks in your rim, and give us some history of your riding style/ terrain that influenced the cracks.
  17. dirtrider

dirtrider Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Breath, Meat, breath. There feel better now?

Read everything on Dealer net today, and still no mention of a recall. I'll probably have to wait until it's posted as the nasty letter I sent KTM recently on this recall probably won't warrant a freindly personal call. :rofl

To back up what Mr. Kennedy was saying, I haven't heard of a single failure, only cracks and bends.
  18. Scoot Jockey

Oddometer:
    I have indeed heard of several failures, such as cracked rims, and broken spokes; I definitely wouldn't call those sucesses! This has been happening to riders here on this forum, and on this forum ktm.reiseenduro.de for the past three or four years. As far as a failure to the point of a face plant, I have only heard of near misses where broken spokes have made their presence known.

As far as my front rim, I can only find two cracks which isn't bad, but it is still two more than there should be.

I do ride my bike around town a bunch, but I have also spent a great deal of time exploring areas around Utah such as Moab, the San Rafael Swell, Grand Staircase Escalante, and all over the west desert. Fabulous machines these bikes! When I do travel off-road, it is usually fully loaded with me (250 lbs), and about 60-80lbs of gear. I usually ride good dirt roads fast, but sometimes end up riding very rocky twisties very slow.

Regards
    Scoot

[​IMG]
  19. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    :doh amen bruddah!

and dirtrider, yes, I am breathing and waiting for the notice/recall to begin. but LC4 Pilot already has his replacement rim!!! :mrskbasa Its hard to wait when others have already eaten... :cry :lurk
  20. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    I called Scuderia West for an appointment and guess what... they still haven't heard of the recall either, and no mention on the dealer net or for my VIN... LC4 Pilot, you yankin' our chain?!? :mrskbasa Who's the joker who masqueraded as a KTM NA VP and called me to say things were happening??? :scratch