KTM 2002 Tech Bulletin on Spokes

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by meat popsicle, Oct 6, 2005.

1. grimmboy

grimmboy Chris Grimm

Oddometer:
    I called my local dealer and got the same response. Go figure.
  2. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    So now I have to wonder being the 3rd owner of my '02 640 Adventure with a an affected VIN number, do I get a new wheel or am I SOL.?
    Anybody?
    Bill in Tomahawk,WI
    Salivating over the thought of a NEW wheel on a used bike.
  3. Nom de Guerre

Nom de Guerre Long timer

Oddometer:
    What can I say? I got my wheel replaced. You know what they say... the squeeky wheel...

Does this mean that I am the first in NA to get the recall swap completed?

I'm sure it'll be coming down the official pike soon. You did speak with a KTM rep, didn't you Meat?

The recall notice and accompanying Excel file with the VIN #'s of affected bikes should be enough to have your dealer order the wheel, and get it done. It was in my case. :dunno
  4. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    I found the email address of a VP at KTM NA and popped him a question about the recall. I got a call from someone who stated they were a VP too (damn it, can't remember his name - I was at work) and that the recall was in the works - but it should have happened by now... :scratch. The recall is on in Europe; Sommer KTM is running with it. The recall says ALL countries and my bike is on the VIN list. You have your replacement wheel already! Loaded, WTF about that eh? No recall yet LC4 Pilot already has his replacement... :ear

Who's the dealer who replaced your wheel? Name and number please. :ear
  5. numbaphive

numbaphive not quite rite

Oddometer:
    The recall is for 01 02 and 03 bikes.....worldwide. Thats the latest info from my dealer as of today 14/11/2005.
  6. Velocibiker

Velocibiker Adventure Antagonist

Oddometer:
    Well, just got a call from my dealer. New wheel is in! Just need to get the bike down there and it's a done deal.

Will also post pics when it's done.

[​IMG]

Shiny new Excel rim courtesy of KTM. Getting new tires from the Maxxis truck at the Endurocross :evil
  7. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
  8. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    I guess we all need to move to Vegas to get our wheel :deal

:lol3
  9. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Just got a message that my local dealership called to say: the recall is ON! :freaky

y'all should be getting your notifications (I assume) one way or another...

... adding to the index. :wave
  10. dirtrider

dirtrider Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    THIS IS A COPY OF THE LETTER THAT WILL BE SENT OUT TO OWNERS:

Affected VIN: «Vin»
    11/28/2005
    «PdiFirstName» «PdiLastName»
    «PdiAddress1»
    «PdiCity», «PdiState» «PdiZip»
    Our records indicate that you purchased a
    KTM LC4 640 Adventure motorcycle. If you
    are not the owner of this motorcycle, please
    complete, cut and return the bottom portion of
    this letter to KTM with the contact information
    of the current owner.
    Dear KTM Customer,
    This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor
    Vehicle Safety Act.
    KTM has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2001, 2002, and
    2003 LC4 640 Adventure Motorcycles.
    To ensure the highest level of performance, reliability and customer satisfaction, it is necessary to
    replace your complete front wheel (hub, spokes and rim) before your next ride. The service will be
    performed on your motorcycle free of charge.
    It is imperative that the motorcycle is not ridden until the complete front wheel has been replaced with
    the new version.
    Serious property damage and/or personal injury could result if this replacement is not performed.
    Please contact your Authorized KTM North America Dealer as soon as possible to arrange a service
    date and so the dealer may order the necessary parts for the repair. Instructions for making the
    repair have been sent to your dealer. Plan on leaving your motorcycle at the dealership to allow for
    scheduling in the service department. Please ask your dealer if you wish to know how much
    additional time will be needed to schedule and process your vehicle.
    If you have difficulty getting your complete front wheel replaced promptly and without charge, please
    contact KTM North America Customer Relations at (440)985-3553 for assistance.
    If you are still not able to have the safety defect remedied without charge and within a reasonable
    amount of time, you may wish to contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s Vehicle
    Safety hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153) or go to http://www.safecar.gov
    If you had this repair performed before you received this letter, you may be eligible to receive
    reimbursement for the cost of obtaining a pre-notification remedy of the problem associated with this
    recall. For more information contact KTM North America Customer Relations at (440)985-3553 for
    assistance.
    If you have sold, traded or no longer own this motorcycle, please let us know by returning the bottom
    portion of this letter in the postage paid return envelope that was enclosed.
    We apologize for this situation and want to assure you, that our commitment, together with KTM
    North America Dealers, is to provide you with the highest level of service, support and customer
    satisfaction.
    Best Regards,
    Dealer Technical Service and Warranty Department
    KTM North America, Inc.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please complete, cut and return this portion to KTM if ownership of the referenced motorcycle has changed.
    Customer Record Update Form
    The new address is or I have sold the motorcycle to: «Vin»
    New owner’s name ____________________________ «PdiFirstName» «PdiLastName»
    Address ______________________________________ «PdiAddress1»
    City, State, Zip_________________________________ «PdiCity», «PdiState» «PdiZip»
    Phone Number ________________________________
    Returning this form will help us to contact the current owner and will enable us to update our records so you can be assured
    not to receive notifications for this motorcycle in the future.

THIS IS THE ACTUAL TB:
    KTM TECHNICAL BULLETIN TB 0613
    NOVEMBER 28 » 2005
    Subject: RECALL 640 Adventure Front Wheel Complete
    Affected models: LC4 640Adventure MY 2001, 2002 and 2003
    Initial Information:
    » The complete front wheel as a whole (rim, hub and spokes) must be replaced on affected
    640 Adventure motorcycles. Please read entire bulletin before taking any action.
    » Due to the LC4 640 Adventure’s greater overall weight and high braking forces from the
    larger 320mm disc brake, it has been found that the front wheel can wear prematurely.
    » An unfavorable overlap of tolerance limits (tightening torque of spoke nipples, torsion angle
    between rim and hub…) in combination with inadequate maintenance can cause increased
    stress on individual spokes resulting in premature wear of the front wheel.
    Procedure for Replacement:
    » To determine if a unit requires the New Front Wheel you must perform a Motorcycle
    History search under the Dealer Technical Service and Warranty tab in Dealer.Net.
    This bulletin will be displayed in the search results of affected units.
    » KTM has informed all Dealer.Net registered owners via a letter to contact their dealer to have
    the complete front wheel replaced.
    » Review owner’s manual for complete instructions on dismounting and mounting the front
    wheel.
    1. Dismount the complete front wheel from the motorcycle.
    2. Dismount the tire and brake disc from the original wheel.
    3. Mount the same tire and the same brake disc with new fasteners 6x 590.09.062.013
    onto the new complete wheel, part number 584.09.001.944
    » Related reading TB0437
    Page 1 of 2
    KTM NORTH AMERICA, INC. EAST » 1119 Milan Avenue » Amherst » Ohio 44001 » Phone 440-985-3553 » Fax 440-985-3060
    Technical Department WEST » 27635 Diaz Road » Temecula » CA 92590 » Phone 909-676-4576
    CANADA » 1375-1 Marie-Victorin » Saint-Bruno » QC J3V 6B7 » Phone 450-441-4451» Fax 450-441-3885
    © 2006 KTM North America, Inc. – All rights reserved
    KTM TECHNICAL BULLETIN TB 0613
    NOVEMBER 28 » 2005
    Important:
    » KTM North America will not replace worn tires, worn brake discs or pads, and inner tubes on
    affected motorcycles.
    » Please tag the front wheel with the units VIN number, KTM Warranty Claim number and
    package it for shipment back to KTM North America. KTM will send a pre-paid shipping
    label after each properly submitted warranty claim. Returning the wheel is a condition
    for being credited.
    » Warranty Input Information:
    » Please note that when entering a warranty claim on an affected model, you will
    choose TI Warranty Inc. Campaign Code from the drop down list and then enter
    the vehicles VIN in the box to the right and click NEXT
    » You can now choose the TI Number from the drop down box. The TI number for this
    procedure is 09_01_025/G.05.014.09 and click NEXT
    » The Warranty Claim is automatically entered for you, including labor. This saves you
    time and money. You must enter additional information in the required fields before
    submitting the claim to KTM.
    » Initially, there are a limited number of complete front wheels available. In an
    effort to maintain fair distribution, KTM North America will limit the amount of
    complete front wheels to a quantity of 1 per order/per day. Quantities over 1
    will be will be deleted from your order and NOT placed on backorder.
    09/01/025/HQ-E
    Page 2 of 2
    COPYRIGHT NOTICE
    The user acknowledges that all components of this technical information are KTM’s and/or third parties’ copyright protected property.
    Alteration, assignment, distribution and reproduction are forbidden.
    LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
    The information included in or available through this technical information may include inaccuracies or errors. In no event shall KTM and/or its suppliers be liable
    for any damages whatsoever, arising out of or in connection with the use of this technical information. Please always refer to the KTM owners and repair manuals
    for proper instructions or contact the KTM Dealer Technical Service Department.
    KTM NORTH AMERICA, INC. EAST » 1119 Milan Avenue » Amherst » Ohio 44001 » Phone 440-985-3553 » Fax 440-985-3060
    Technical Department WEST » 27635 Diaz Road » Temecula » CA 92590 » Phone 909-676-4576
    CANADA » 1375-1 Marie-Victorin » Saint-Bruno » QC J3V 6B7 » Phone 450-441-4451» Fax 450-441-3885
    © 2006 KTM North America, Inc. – All rights reserved
  11. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    From the NHTSA site (dated Oct. 31, 2005):

Make: KTM
    Model: LC4 640 ADVENTURE
    Type: ANY
    Year: 2001
    Recall Number: 05V526000
    Summary:
    ON CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES, PREMATURE WEAR ON THE FRONT WHEEL COMPONENTS CAN OCCUR.
    Consequence:
    THIS CONDITION COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE COMPLETE FRONT WHEEL ON THESE MOTORCYCLES. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING NOVEMBER 2005. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT KTM AT 1-440-985-3563.
    Notes:
    CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.
  12. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last

Oddometer:
    Kudos to all of you who have put up the good fight,,,,the power of the web and ADV-rider are powerful tools to bring rectification and justice to the consumer...

what happens to all of you who have spent your hard earned money to rectify these problem wheels,,,,i have repaired and superlaced dozens of these over the last few years....will they re-imburse you for these?????

your superlaced wheels are still higher quality....are you going to trade them in???,,,,,i've got as many questions too regarding these upgraded wheels,,,,looks like all new hub a superior/given Excel rim,,,and possible better material /size spokes n nipples....

good, better, best....
    never let it rest....
    til the good is better...
    and the better is the best...

sister mary of the angels circa '54,my favorite 7th grade grammer school teacher
  13. G.Kennedy

G.Kennedy ...

Oddometer:

I had mine redone @ Buchanons. Rear is still perfect. Front rim has 5 or 6 cracks so I made the call to my dealer to get the ball rolling on a replacement. I was up front and told them I had already relaced due to broken spokes.

I'll be happy with a new wheel.... no reason to be greedy. ( would love to keep my old hub though)
  14. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    The recall specifies that the old rim must be sent back to KTM for credit. Bummer eh? I doubt it would be worth the trouble to relace with some crap spokes...
  15. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    That would be KTM's worst nightmare. A bunch of AdvRider numb-nuts recycling recalled parts back into service.... :cry
  16. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Oh, your not going to start that vibration debate again are ya!?! :mrskbasa

The recall notice states that in order for the shop to get credit from KTM the old rim must be returned to them. So there won't be any recycling gig, unless its KTM doing the recycling.

Perhaps they want them back to avoid that nonsense? Or perhaps they already sold them to Kawasaki... :lol3
  17. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Since it's now a NHTSA mandated safety recall, KTM needs to assure the Feds that the old stuff will go to the crusher (or to Kawasaki :D ).
  18. G.Kennedy

G.Kennedy ...

Oddometer:
    That wasn't too tough. Called my local dealer(Santa Monica). They said bring it over so we can check the VIN. New wheel on the way. Done.

The recall notice is definately in the computer system, as soon as he entered my VIN it came up.

If your dealer is being wanky, tell them to enter your VIN and see what comes up.
  19. Red J

Red J Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I asked my dealer to check it, and he seemed to be too busy to be bothered, "No recalls on 02 KTMs."

I think i'll go there tomorrow and ask in person, and be more persistent.
  20. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    FYI: This is on 01-03 KTM 640 Adventures only as far as I know; I don't think SXCs or Enduros, or Dukes are involved.

Just give them your VIN and any recall will pop up on the computer.