KTM 2002 Tech Bulletin on Spokes

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by meat popsicle, Oct 6, 2005.

1. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:

I'm guessin' no big giant humungous front rotor, no recall....
    :cry
  2. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    the recall notice stated a conflaguruation (sic) of factors contributing to the problem, including the rotor from hell. ok, overlapping tolerances stressed by insufficient user maintenance leading to an unacceptible failure rate... ever see "Fight Club"? :evil
  3. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    For some good reading on the recall, go look it up on NHTSA.gov. Apparently the Feds were alerted by an Adventure owner (serviced at Scuderia in SF) that wrote a letter claiming he broke a spoke, popped his front tube, and promptly fell down. Wonder if he belongs to this asylum.... :deal
  4. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Not I said the fly...
  5. Red J

Red J Teacher, leave us kids alone.

Oddometer:
    I went in, and got a little more persistent. They rooted thru the mail, and said there was a letter from KTM. Opened it, and agreed that the Adventure had a recall. Kinda seemed baffled that I knew, and they didn't until just then.

Said I'd have to make an appointment to get my bike "checked out" and see if KTM would replace the wheel or no. So that's progress.

Also said that I'd have to leave bike with them, since riding on wheel was dangerous. I said if it were that dangerous, why is a customer standing in your lobby asking about a front wheel recall not taken more seriously?

:ear

Losers. Should be some kind of clue, when they have to have the bike there for a day to check the VIN or whatever else inspection they must do.

Like the bike, dealer sucks.
  6. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    post a link to the exact page please.

love, loady
  7. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    The job is slated for a half hour on the recall notice; sounds like your dealer is a wanker. switch. :wave
  8. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
  9. Nom de Guerre

Nom de Guerre Long timer

Oddometer:
    All is not right in Denmark. Your linky isn't coming through correctly, but removing the slash and adding a ".com" to it fixes that.

The code you have listed to type into a search isn't bringing anything up though. Neither is typing "KTM" into the box (other than something refering to the KTM Duke). :dunno
  10. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Well fuck....

Try this:

NHTSA

Same number in the box (05V526000)
  11. Nom de Guerre

Nom de Guerre Long timer

Oddometer:

:thumb

Thx Chris!
  12. mcomstock

mcomstock GS==offroad

Oddometer:
    I received the recall letter today, it is dated 11/28. A well intentioned move by KTM, but my wheel self-destructed over two years ago, so it was amusing to read the warning that "it is imperative that the motorcycle is not ridden until the complete front wheel has been replaced..."
  13. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Didn't YFFs see Fight Club?!? :lol3
  14. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    My dealer called and said that NA wants to see my wheel before they'll do anything. Which means taking it off the bike, then shipping it to NA, waiting while those tools dick around with it, then deal with whatever bullshit story they come back with. :rolleyes

Based upon the info folks have posted here, coupled with the recall notice, it sounds to me like there's a bean counting asshole in the NA warranty shop that's needs a tune-up. :fight
  15. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Is there another shop locally? Call KTM NA and complain - that is hogwash. The recall says there is no check, VIN = new rim. Sounds like somebody needs a spanking...
  16. G.Kennedy

G.Kennedy ...

Oddometer:
    That smells like ass crack !!!! Find another dealer. Call around, worth the drive. Gotta be some one w/ in an hour.
  17. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    My dealer read his letter and ordered me a replacement wheel.

The NHTSA and KTMNA recall documentation stipulates that ALL 2001-2003 Adventures get the replacement assembly.

If your dealer says otherwise, call KTM @ 440.985.3563
  18. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    That's the thing: Very good dealer, and they're really trying. NA seems to be the problem.

Really becoming more and more disappointed with KTM and this bike in particular. For the cost of the damn thing, is it so unreasonable for me to expect that it be as reliable and solid as a Honda, if not better? A KLR is a tougher bike than this thing.
  19. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    the canadian recall is not o-fish-al yet. the legal doodes are still writing it up. tell yer dealer to call patrick at ktmcanada and he'll take care of it.
  20. rz66

rz66 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i am the third owner of my 640 adv. i contacted the two previous owners and told them to be on the lookout for the notice. then i called ktm and gave them my name, address and vin #. i went to my local dealer and they had just gotten the bulletin the afternoon before, so i was the first to come in. after scratching their collective heads, a few phone calls and help from the secretary with the computer the were able to order some of the parts. i think the 6 bolts/screws for the rotor was all they could figure out. and they said they would continue to search for the part numbers for the wheel and i think an axle. they also asked if i wanted to leave the bike with them, must be a liability thing...no thanks. the next day i had a recall notice from ktm in my mail. i have to follow up with the dealer tuesday to keep them focussed.

does anybody have their work order, to give me those missing part numbers for the wheel and axle?

thanks
    randy