1. Livestream Today at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

KTM 300 opinions

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by thump_co, Mar 7, 2012.

1. dmac1

dmac1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Help me out Gordy....I've never owned an autoclutch and wonder why it wouldnt be as good as a regular clutch? What are its downfalls?

Rekluse says their 3.0 version has same feel as a stock clutch and sounds like you'd have the best of both worlds...i.e. stock functionality with ability to ignore the clutch if fatigued late in the day or if in a big rock garden.

I'm contemplating one, hence why I ask.
  2. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    I'm not Gordy, but....

My last two 300s have had auto clutches. I would not have put one in the first bike, but it came with one. It took me a year to decide I liked it better than a regular clutch.

They are great in very technical terrain. I also like them for long downhills (you can run a gear or two taller than you normally would).

The biggest drawback is stopping on steep uphills. The bike will want to roll backward. I've been in situations where any throttle is causing the front end to come up, but let off the gas and you start rolling backwards. I solved this on my current bike by adding a left hand rear brake. The newer bike has the later version of the Rekluse which overcomes some of the issues with the earlier versions. I've always had a clutch override lever and still use it most of the time when shifting. Once in a while you get in a tough spot where you need to be able to rev the engine for more power while feathering the clutch.

With that said, I prefer the manual clutch on my 450. I don't ride as much purely technical terrain with that bike and like being able to park on hills without the bike rolling away. It's also useful to "self arrest" after you get up a steep ledge and stall the bike.
  3. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    I've spent a good amount of time on a 300 with a Rekluse EXP2.0 and just plain don't like it. My main gripe is you lose a lot of the positive engagement from the clutch, so when you want to dump the clutch, instead of wheel popping power, you get a mushy "meh" in response. Why ride a 2-stroke if you lose the "hit", right? Mechanically it's because with the regular EXP series you remove 1/3 of your friction plates and steels that are replaced by the Rekluse assembly.

I spent some time talking to Rekluse about it (great customer service) to see if there's anything that can help, and there are a few tweaks, but they said the real answer is to upgrade to the Core EXP. The Core is much thinner and is supposed to keep the original clutch feel, but like you said, also offer stall protection. This is the model they put in all their sponsored riders' bikes.

A lot of the perception problem with the Rekluses likely comes from the confusion between the EXP vs Core EXP models. The regular EXP is a budget model and not up to the demands of hard riding/racing. It would probably be better if they gave them different names.
  4. arroyo

arroyo ??????????

Oddometer:
    My 2009 (which I've had for less than a year) came with a z-start pro from the previous owner, and I'm still undecided. As hell said, the inability to park/stop on a steep hill can be a pain in the a$$, but that doesn't really happen too often anyway. When I first got it, I didn't realize it was set up with a high RPM engagement (and was too lazy to pull the cover to check), which meant that on steep, loose climbs, anytime the RPMs dropped, the clutch slipped, which sucked and caused significant over heating problems. Over the winter, I swapped out the spring to lower the engagement RPM and added 3 of the tungsten carbide balls, and now it's much, much better, though I'm still not completely sold. Sometimes it's great, other times, not so much. As thump said, the overall 'feel' of a standard clutch is a bit better (at least with the z-sp) and dumping a standard clutch seems to give you more hit that you get with the z-sp. No stalling is certainly nice, but with an electric start 2 stroke, getting it going again is pretty effortless anyway.
  5. Greco

Greco Braap!

Oddometer:
    Not a KTM 300, but on my GasGas 250, I have the new 3.0 Rekluse. I have no problem using the "hit" to pop the front wheel over an obstacle. Also, the clutch feels just like a stock clutch. I can feather it if I need to get out of a tight spot or to help pull out of a corner. I have ridden the earlier versions and this new 3.0 really is the cat's pajamas. I haven't been on a hill that was steep enough that I got stopped yet, so I can't comment on that situation.

I agree with the mis-naming of the Core and EXP. There is a huge difference in price and performance.
  6. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    When I'm too old to feather the clutch accurately I'll go with an auto but in the meantime I prefer the std clutch.
  7. Lord Dogmeat

Lord Dogmeat Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ran a Rekluse on my old 530 for 2 seasons and wound up selling it and going back to a regular clutch *shrug* .... I even had a broken hand the first season I went back to the standard clutch and still liked it better over all lol
  8. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    :thumb
    As a kid, my mini bike had a centrifugal clutch. I was thrilled to get my first real motorcycle with real gears and a real clutch. If I get to where I need an auto clutch, I'll know I'm in my second childhood. :D
  9. dmac1

dmac1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    At 59, I'm pretty sure I'm still in my first childhood. My wife would agree and I have no plans of growing up any time soon. :D
  10. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    :jack

Same here! :D
    On all accounts.
  11. dmac1

dmac1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bretheren! :freaky
  12. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    :beer
  13. SaharaJp99

SaharaJp99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm definitely an auto clutch fan boy,I have the EXP 2.0 in my 250.

The main reason is I have a kick only bike and a 28" inseam. Stalling is a real problem when in most situations I can't reach the ground, let alone kickstart the bike. Secondly, and probably just as important, I'm not that great of a technical rider and the auto clutch allows me to ride with guys like Hellsickle and for the most part keep up without killing myself or getting frustrated. I never really rode hard growing up and never mastered the clutch feathering technique. Eventually I'd like to be able to put in the ride time to get better at that, but until this working/getting a 2nd degree/being a single father thing comes to an end, the auto clutch allows me to be a good enough rider to ride the trails I like to ride once or twice a month. It brings the enjoyment level I get from riding way up, and that is exactly what I look for when riding, so it is a win win for me. The auto clutch is definitely a crutch though if you are an elitist.

I solved the rolling back on hills thing with a left hand rear brake and a parking brake. No issue at all anymore.
  14. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    I'm sure it's in this thread somewhere but I'm in a hurry. What's the name of the aftermarket inner clutch gasket that all the cool kids use? And where do I get it in a hurry? TIA.
  15. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    A Hinson clutch basket is what you want.
  16. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    Cometic gasket from Cooksey at ktmtalk. I'll text you.
  17. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    My dyslexia is kickin in again :norton I thought he said basket
  18. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    So is my autocorrect evidently. It's Cometic.
  19. dougrender

dougrender Bike Polo is not a Crime

Oddometer:
    Tom needs to look his best. He should get the cosmetic...

I think you'll get the new copacetic style if you buy from any KTM dealer.

=Doug
  20. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Thanks for the help!