1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

KTM 300 opinions

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by thump_co, Mar 7, 2012.

1. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I heard KTM got that straightened out, their gaskets are supposed to be re-enforced now also. No tellin if you'll get NOS from the dealer though.
  2. Fred Garvin

Fred Garvin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got mine from slavens in about 2 days. It is a 2011.
  3. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    :huh
    How do you figure is it "elitist" to ride the bike the way it comes from the factory??
    :patch

KTM was touting a new gasket for the 2015 - maybe that's the one in question.
  4. SaharaJp99

SaharaJp99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Because of comments like this:

:deal
  5. beernutt

beernutt This space for rent

Oddometer:
    TG making delicate adjustments on Ince's 3hundy. Note the OSHA approved safety goggles and gloves securely in place (on the workbench)

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ccYFZxtWnWs" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
  6. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    New style quick release skid plate?

They just weld up the clutch leak after that?
  7. grub

grub Requires Supervision

Oddometer:
    Waiting for a green light on the red line
    I like the options made possible by the autoclutch. I don’t know how you guys have yours adjusted but my recluse hits like a freakin’ hammer when I want it to. A little throttle, touch the lever with my left index finger and up comes the front, every, single, time. I also like down hills two or three gears higher than normal, based on what’s coming up at the bottom of the hill. I like the no stall aspect of life in technical terrain and I like being able to kick the thing and go when I’m off camber, off balance, and out of breath on some steep nasty crap that would normally require neutral or clutch, I don’t have a magic button. There have been times when my left hand has been the only thing holding me on the mountain when I start the bike. I also like the option to be lazy at the end of a long day when I’m hot, dehydrated, my ass is dragging, and I have 20 miles of some bullshit ATV trail to cover to get back to the truck and the cooler full of Dales and I choose to do the whole distance in third gear. I don’t think it has any more to do with age or ability than a magic button or a four stroke. I like my 2 stroke, I like my auto clutch.
  8. grub

Oddometer:
    PS - Getting on the bike after losing an entire season to injury rehab, I've decided that if everyone on the planet had an opportunity to get on a 300, daily, and feel and hear that bike moving through all five gears with the bike hooked up and hard on the pipe, the world would be a much better place :lol3
  9. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Fixed. :deal

Re: bringing the front end up, I read this about most of my bikes, but don't personally experience it at the elevations I ride at. I enjoy the autoclutch on my 300, but wouldn't put one on my 450. The only drawback I've seen to an autoclutch is riding on snow/ice. It seems like the traction threshold was always about at the same point where the clutch engaged.
  10. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    :nod My 300 had a leaky inner gasket (oil not coolant thank d0G) and I ended up going with the "Slaven's Mule Gasket" as well.
  11. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    Nah, it's a 2stroke so we just beat on it with a rock and leg bone for a while, then burned some incense.
    thump_co likes this.
  12. dmac1

dmac1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you have the 2.0 or the new 3.0? Also, to loft the front, cant you just twist the throttle or will it slip and thus you need to fan the clutch?
  13. gee

gee Safety First

Oddometer:
    I recently joined the 300 crowd, can I still be in the club if the bike isn't orange?
    So far this thing is awesome!

[​IMG]
  14. Lord Dogmeat

Lord Dogmeat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yah, its a KTMaberg :clap
  15. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    Not elitist at all. Botched attempt at humor, perhaps.
    I wouldn't give up my clutch.
  16. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    I can picture that. Fortunately, I've been lucky and haven't been stalled on a hillclimb since I was a kid. I doubt I would have been able to kick it then, and even if I could start it, taking off upward wasn't going to happen as momentum was needed to keep going. More often that not, getting hung up was due to loss of traction and not stalling, though. I figured out I had to back the bike up while turning sideways, then turn the other way and roll down the hill, jump starting on the way down, turn around at the bottom and try again! It's been so long I'm not sure I could handle it well now, but if I have to, I'll try.

Amen! :thumb
    Best therapy ever. I've never seen a motorcycle parked in the lot of a psychiatrist's office.

Nice, gee! I really need to get out to Colorado... so awesome there.
  17. grub

Oddometer:
    I have the old clutch and have maintained the clutch handle instead of a left hand rear. I like having the option to manually work it at times but I've seen the double handle set-up and have been told that once people got used to them they love it so I may give that a try this summer. As for the front, it depends how I'm riding that day. I admittedly don't usually ride as aggressively as many here, so if I see something coming or am on a familiar trail I can set myself up in the right RPM range to loft it with just the throttle, but if I'm just slobbing along in a gear over where I should be enjoying the scenery (which is fairly common) and get surprised by something I need to run it manually which I would have to do regardless of what clutch I'm running.
  18. grub

Oddometer:
  19. DirtDad

DirtDad Green Chile Guru

Oddometer:
  20. dougrender

dougrender Bike Polo is not a Crime

Oddometer:
    It's a beauty, Greg!!

=Doug