KTM 380EXC ?

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by brucifer, Jan 9, 2018.

1. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hello gentlemen. Gonna go look at a 2000 380 EXC this weekend if the seller still has it then.
    Is there anything special I need to look at on one of these or just the normal common sense items ie. compression, worn bearings etc.? Is there a ballpark figure as far as price? I know it all comes down to condition so lets say, X amount for a rolling dumpster and X amount for pristine, and of course then we have something between those points.
    And if any of you have riding or ownership experience with a 380, please post up.

Thanks!
  2. pratered

pratered Jackpiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    7B30BA4F-A930-4561-A534-E5C388F09B8C.jpeg

Love my old 2000 380 exc! Paid $3,500 in 2004, wouldn’t sell it for that though! Rode it totally trouble free until last season ( other than normal maintenance and 1 top end rebuild ) when I had an electrical issue, new stator seems to have solved that. My only caution would be that parts may be hard to find. Grins are plentiful though, just crack the throttle!
    Realistically though, I probably wouldn’t get more than like $1,500 if I sold it, so I’m just going to try and keep it running until I can no longer ride!
    dpforth and brucifer like this.
  3. 380Viking

380Viking Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bought mine new, its magic, I will ride it till the end of time. Top end twice, minor shift problem, regular maintenance, upgraded suspension. Jetting is tricky, I got right on it and have the right combo if you need it. It is wonderful, I have buddies with much newer KTMs and they are good but I am always glad to get back on the mighty 380. Note my name!
    Dao1 and brucifer like this.
  4. Wackojacko990

Wackojacko990 Outlaw Explorer

Oddometer:
    Up until two weeks ago my 2002 380 exc was my trail bike. Typically with lots of riding I would ride it until the vibration got too intense and then I would throw a new piston in it. At the peak of my riding (10+ years ago) I would do a new top end about every 18 months or so. Unfortunately if you have never ridden one you have no baseline as far as vibration goes so it will be an unknown.

Also just a tip, when it rebuild time comes, you will discover that there are two base gaskets part #'s in the catalog. One is the SX base gasket (high compression). I only ran it once for about 12 months and it's pretty ridiculous.

Problems:
    I will start by saying, other than having to stop and change a couple sparkplugs (plugs typically go most of the life of a top end for me 18 months or so) this bike HAS NEVER STRANDED ME.

It is however not perfect for instance: if I adjust the carb to where it will idle for more than 3 seconds or so it pings really bad when riding (typically downhill sections is where you notice it).

Also when it gets hot (summertime single track riding) it pings really bad and is hard to ride because of it. Due to this I have custom fitted a trail tech fan kit (my bike is converted to DC and has a battery) and the fan really makes it a lot nicer to ride when it's hot.

Also, recently it has started using a lot of fuel, typically years ago it would make it 80-90 miles in single track when rode conservatively, it now makes it about 38 (im assuming a reed valve is broke or maybe needle wore out?!?!)

Also, it is of course kickstart only, so if you're on a hill in the middle of a gnarly spot it sucks, but it is way easier to kick than a CR500 or YZ490.

EDIT: Also the kickstarter bolt comes loose pretty regularly, even with red locktite on it. (Have had to backtrack and find the kickstarter TWICE)

Overall though, If you want a bike that will make CR500 power, and have better suspension and better brakes and be lighter and faster (93 mph on asphalt according to GPS) look no further.

EDIT: Have owned this bike since brand new.
    Foot dragger and brucifer like this.
  5. cprbusa

cprbusa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've always ridden open class two strokes until I bought an 03 KTM 450exc, then a 535EXC and just missed riding a two stroke. So I found a 2000 380 in pristine condition for 2K (two years ago). I can't ride fast any more (but I'll lie to you about fast I used to be) so all I do is keep a clean air filter and change the oil.
    brucifer likes this.
  6. NDMX743

NDMX743 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine has one. Great lugging power. Seems to start easy. I don’t recall it breaking down ever, but stuff falls off of it.(old ktms seem to have that issue.). $1000-2000 depending on condition
    brucifer likes this.
  7. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies, guys. :thumb
    Okay, a question: Do you have to split the cases to replace the shift shaft? :ear
  8. dpforth

dpforth no inline fours

Oddometer:
    No.
    brucifer likes this.
  9. 380Viking

380Viking Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On mine the star gear on the end of the drum came loose and I kept getting stuck in 4th gear, boy was I relieved when that's all it was.
    brucifer likes this.
  10. wfopete

wfopete Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer:
  11. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Pete, I'm a member over there.

And for anyone wondering, I didn't get it. The guy was kind of aloof and not good at getting back to me, so I passed. Just didn't like the vibe I was getting.
    However, there is another inmate here who has expressed an interest in it. If he gets it I'm sure he'll post up about it.

Thanks for the responses.
  12. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Ive had KTM 2 strokes since my 1st 250GP model in 1977,and they just keep getting better and better. I think as long as a guy doesnt ride a newer one an old one is OK.
    I thought the string of used 04/06 EXC's I had was just fine. ...............Then I sold everything I had loose and bought a new 2014 300XCW. Im keeping it.
    Other then a JD jet kit,its more then good right outta the box. Suspension is beyond smooth and plush for tight trails,200+ hours on a piston is easy,bottom end can go over 600 hours trailriding. I know guys who have put well beyond 3 times the value of older dirtbikes in them to keep the old beauty working,I decided against that.
    dpforth and brucifer like this.
  13. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    The thing is, your 2014 model will be old one day too. Will you sell it and buy a new one when that time comes?
    I remember when the RFS bikes were the end-all be-all 4-stroke off-road dirt bikes. Now they're just a footnote in history as a fairly reliable somewhat powerful performance machine.
    I get what you're saying--new anything is great. But eventually as time marches on, that new thing gets old and outdated.
    I'm sure if I had the expendable cash, I'd buy new every year. But I don't. So, I put money into and enjoy the older machines. Besides, pretty sure I can't outride my '03 450EXC. If I crash, it's my fault, not the bikes. :lol3
    Dao1 likes this.
  14. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    At 60 years old with some body parts replaced,and specializing in tight trail riding at what ever pace seems fun.....it seems,to me,that the 2014 300 is complete overkill and could outlast me or my riding career.

After having great luck with used KTM's for years,the last 2 I drug home looked wonderful but actually I had been more or less scammed by sellers who somehow got the bikes to run great,for a very limited time. I was lucky to get rid of them both at a loss,and figured screw it Im getting a new bike!

What a revelation,the 14 must have been built just for me! Ive ridden a 2017 300 6 Days and no way is it as plush and comfy as the 14,and then they have the un-fixable Mikuni carb fiasco.
    I like old bikes and all but I raced a lot of them when they were new,and I remember the constant wrenching.

I had a new 96 300KTM and I very nearly had the jetting right after 3 years but then the temp would change,and small things kept breaking the whole time I owned it,and the marzzochhi forks were scrap.
    Yeah it was a stretch buying a new 300 but it was worth it. (Do not ride a 2017 500EXC..................I did,wow,never ridden a KTM 4 stroke that was anything like it)
    brucifer likes this.
  15. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    I had a 200MXC same year,I loved that thing. Very solid bike!
    pratered likes this.
  16. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool man, that's great the bike and you gel so well. Does sound like a keeper. :thumb I wish you many more years of enjoyment. :-)
    Foot dragger likes this.
  17. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Yep, I'm a decade behind most of the time.

I'm getting rid of my 06 525 because I bought an 08 TE250 (bought the 525 about 2 years ago), I have a stack of 10+ year old bike mags sitting around so I can read tests on my "new" bikes and see how the mags set them up.:lol3
    NDMX743 and brucifer like this.
  18. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lol. That's funny, I do the same thing! I've got stacks of bike mags dating back to the late '70s. :lol3
    It's interesting reading what was written about them then compared to where we are today.
  19. CJBDRdude

CJBDRdude Ridin'offroadCJ

Oddometer:
    I'm willing to bet quite a few of us do this with old mags! I have 'road tests' on my OSSAs & Suzuki PEs from the 70s and 80s. Like many of you guys my first modern KTM an 03 RFS 250(which later became a 350) was the best bike I ever rode. Then I threw my leg over a 2013' FI Husaberg FE250. Held onto the RFS KTM for another year and sold it to a friend. The two stroke story is the same. Sold the 08 250 XC-W for a 13' 200 XC-W. The 13' is so much better. I prefer the 12 thru 16' generation KTMs over the newest ones. The new two strokes have the carb issues and the 200 is no longer made. The new 150 too small imo. At 61 I'm guessing I may be done buying dirtbikes, so I'll keep my BERG and 13' 200, but if I go newer, Id probably try a BETA. They're looking great these days(and yes I've ridden them at a demo)
    brucifer likes this.
  20. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    I know what you mean,it doesnt SEEM like a 2012 and up 2 stroke KTM could be THAT MUCH better,until you ride one. The only thing changed is the entire bike from the frame and suspension on up. A friend was looking I told him 08 or newer,he found a super low hours 09 for a great price,loves the thing.

One time with a stalled engine on the edge of doom.....and simply push the happy button and off you go no harm done.
    I had a dead starter on my 14 and rode 3 weekends with out the button. Danged if I didnt get into a couple cliff edge tricks with a stalled engine,the second I tried to pick a foot up and kick it.......backwards it went leading to clanging and clonking backwards down the ravine and into the usual awkward positioning.

(gratuitous trail shot) DSCF1347.JPG
    CJBDRdude likes this.