Ktm 390 adventure

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ErÑete, Dec 13, 2016.

1. ErÑete

ErÑete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. Hohmie

Hohmie Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's going to be nice!
  3. Howlinsage

Howlinsage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally after years of waiting we get a sniff. Maybe the recent light adventure activity has motivated KTM to give this project the green light, and to market ahead of 2019.

The article talks of 7" forks but this photo shows about 8" with an unknown amount of sag. Looks lean and promising. I could wait till spring 2018 for this.

[​IMG]
    robram and docjekyll2002 like this.
  4. Plebeian

Plebeian Scruffy-Looking Nerf Herder Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hope they don't sacrifice too much in attempting to limit the seat height for sales purposes...
    Dracer35 and Pablo Mac like this.
  5. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    All of the models that the author of that article states as competing with this KTM are all relatively short travel (for off-road), street biased bikes. Hopefully KTM tilts the design more like the CRF250L Rally which at least has 21/18 wheels and 10"+ travel.
  6. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Looks like a fun toy for a lot of folks. Especially since the 690 is starting to become more comfortable on the highway.

The ergo package seems tight at the hips.
    There does not seem like a lot of room for luggage on the rear seat.
    Should be hyper mobile, with a narrow wheel base.

There should be switchable ABS, like the RC, so that would be a plus.
  7. Janus9

Janus9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really hope the bike is designed more towards dirt and has 21/18" tire setup.
    mylsmkj likes this.
  8. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd be delighted if it ended up just like a 350 EXC except half the price and with a rally fairing and bigger tank, which is a pretty good indication they will avoid doing that.

I still can't wrap my mind around the fact they are making a 390A even though they stubbornly refused to make a 690A all these years.
    Craze likes this.
  9. Howlinsage

Howlinsage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ktm have added another balance shaft to the 390 engine, should be decently smooth on the highway. I doubt it will have more than 8 - 9" travel, Ktm may be marketed as the adventure bike and Husky as the 401 enduro, a little more hard core.

[​IMG] The panel under the seat is zip tied on. Maybe hiding an under seat tank . Good range and CG.
    esterhd likes this.
  10. danptobin

danptobin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    pegs look alittle high. guessing its a cat below the front of the swing arm. not sure how itll effect suspension travel but definatly looks like itll get damaged if you bottom out. really want to see how it is when it makes prouction
  11. advmgm

advmgm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hope its more reliable than the RC 390...
    dmason likes this.
  12. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, that is a bike I was interested in just crossed off the list.

That ridiculous exhaust system wouldn't last one ride under me.

I wish they would do an enduro model 390 instead of a styling exercise.
    GerGa likes this.
  13. danptobin

Oddometer:
    thats a test mule. the production model hopefully will have a better thought out cat placement. for offroad ive got an exc. im looking for something to replace my wr250r with alittle more power and good fuel range. dont mind having to swap the fuel tank but id like to be able to get 240 miles between refuels without spending an extra $900. want something that can do fire roads jeep trails and cruise on the interstate carrying enough cloths and camping gear for a week or two. as long as i can do 70 or 80 im good. ive got a tiger when i want to cruise in comfort at speed but im not comfortable with the tigers weight and weak low end power when fire road turns to jeep trail. so far the wr and dr are the bikes that best fit between my 500 exc and tiger xcx for what i want to do. a bike that can handle whatever i stumble into
  14. mylsmkj

mylsmkj Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 390 duke and RC390 are around 350# and 5500$. If they could make this ~375#'s wet and $7500 it'll sell well.
  15. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Considering the 690 is less than 350lbs wet, it should be a pretty easy to beat that in a 390cc model, no?
  16. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    the horizontal shock will mean lower seat height I'm pickin. Looks like the test mule has a cat under the motor instead of in the muffler....likely that will change on the production bike. If it can eak out 50hp and 300klm+ range I'm in!
  17. danptobin

Oddometer:
    my vstrom 650 was rated between 60 and 70hp. the 390 that could make 50hp would be all top end no low end power at all. useless to me and many others who would consider a lightweight adv bike or dual sport.
  18. rufus

rufus We're burning daylight...

Oddometer:
    I don't understand this.
    Why is there no frame under the motor?
    Don't the europeans ride their adventure bikes off road?
    Looks like just another dirt road bike to me.
  19. mylsmkj

mylsmkj Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well the thing is the large capacity tank, fairing and other beefy things that will make it an ADV model and not an enduro like the 690. But if it's under 350#'s with a 5 gal tank with 40 hp for $7500. then you can say goodbye to the current outdated 650 DS from Japan, they'll get updated or phased out.
    Craze likes this.
  20. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    The cat is a fact of life these days, and the location they put it does not look that bad, it is kinda the same spot that the linkage fits in on the 640... 40 HP would be enough if this bike hits the 300 lbs mark or less.. I am hoping for a little more than 7" of travel, maybe 9.5"-10" as a minimum to get some ground clearance and room for a good protector plate underneath... I was in the bike shop a month back looking at the 390 Duke and at $4900 CAD I thought about buying it and converting it as I have a full long travel front end sitting on the shelf along with an 18" cush rear... In the end after studying the frame I figured that there would not be enough steering lock for my liking along with a goofy muffler to try to modify... Instead I told the shop owner to put my name on the top of the 390A list for the first run when they hit his showroom...