1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Ktm 390 adventure

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ErÑete, Dec 13, 2016.

1. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:
    these guys bent them but they hammered the bike hard. I suspect most owners will be fine with the cast.
    LJC likes this.
  2. Red liner

Red liner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. derekdeadend

derekdeadend Long timer

Oddometer:
    For 20 bucks this is solid

IMG_6208.jpg

IMG_6207.jpg
    IMG_6206.jpg

Attached Files:

ClearwaterBMW and Red liner like this.
  4. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    derek, that has been on three of our bikes, paid a good bit more.

about asian riders not fixing their tubes. if they had to pay our shop rate they would fix it in a flash.
    many fixes in malaysia if it doesnt require parts are done without charge, if a charge is required, 5 ringit is the standard rate, about $1.25 US at the last rate we paid in 2019.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  5. Red liner

Oddometer:
    Thats the thing. We are lazy ass bikers lol!
    Bitingdog likes this.
  6. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    :photog
  7. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    And side stand[/QUOTE]
    at least there will be a different side stand
    because BMW never did that
    my GS adventure with the lowering kit had the same side stand
    making it a disaster to park on anything but completely level ground
  8. Red liner

Oddometer:
  9. drgas

drgas Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. drgas

drgas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You need the 790 screen and different screws and spacers. An earlier post has the correct part numbers. I ordered them from my KTM dealer. Easy install then.
  11. stevegpt

stevegpt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    C241FE64-47EE-402C-97F8-2006EA6E985C.jpeg I just returned from completing the NEBDR. It was six days, seven states, traveling 1,420 miles (we went north to south). Out of ten BDR rides, they rate this the second most difficult — for good reason! On the seventh day I rode 450+ miles back to Maine on pavement. I went with a buddy (Jim) on a modified CRF250L (suspension, tank, tires, seat concepts, etc). We road the entire main route and took NO “easy by-passes”. Jim was a great travel partner as he did the TAT last summer — solo. He said the NEBDR was more difficult. The TAT had difficult sections that were short. This had prolonged difficult sections (VT/NY).

My 390 Adv is bone stock except for KTM bark busters and AX41 tires. I wanted a bash plate but they were all back ordered. My OEM plastic bash plate returned busted up pretty good. This bike needs an after market bash plate and hand guards. I personally wouldn’t do much else. The bike performed admirably! The bike had NO BUSINESS being on the tough sections in VT and NY but it made it without a hiccup! Very impressed. I laid it over once in VT. Happy to say the hand and engine guards did their job. It was a very rocky, slippery up hill climb and I fell on the right side. The exhaust has a dent but that’s about it.

As far as gear I had the Mosko Moto reckless 40L plus a 22L dry bag for a total of 62L. All gear was about 55 lbs including bags. The bike didn’t blink and I didn’t even know I was carrying it (I’m 190 without gear).

On gravel roads and pavement this thing really shines. When the going gets tough you just have to slow down a bit and pick your way through. The bike does have a road bias. Jim made it though the difficult sections with his Honda easier than me but I’m sure I was much more comfortable on gravel and pavement.

Some people recommend the 14 tooth front sprocket. The OEM setup worked fine for me. There were a few sections I thought it would be nice but I’d hate to give up the 6th gear pavement cruising ease. This bike travels VERY WELL. I have 3,800 miles now. I was really surprised at the punch this thing has on the highway. Forth gear roll ons while maxing out the RPMs really gets this thing going. I passed a lot of cars on the way back. I tend to not rev the engine all that much but it’s eager! Also, having ridden over 450 miles on road yesterday — I really don’t mind the stock screen. No issues for me at 5’ 11”.

All in all this is a very respectable bike. It has handled everything I’ve thrown at it. Sure, more suspension travel and ground clearance would be great. But this is one hell of a value!
  12. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:
    great read!...thanks! I have ridden (I think) almost all of the VT sections of the NEBDR...what was the toughest part for you there? To say it is harder than the western TAT is really saying something.

...also what tank bag is that?
  13. stevegpt

stevegpt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We went north to south. The most difficult parts were a long, rocky, wet uphill climb in VT and a much longer, rocky, dry, uphill climb in NY. I fell (only spill) on the VT section but almost think the NY climb was tougher. I’d call it the most intense climb I’ve made on a bike in 50 yrs of riding. Sorry, I can’t remember the exact VT sections but I’m sure every rider says the same even though most ride south to north.
    swizman and motorock like this.
  14. motorock

motorock Explorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have done all of the off road sections in NY of the NEBDR- I think I know which rocky uphill climb you are talking about. I believe I went downhill from the other direction towards Prattsville. I am so proud that my FZ09 did it- a strong bash plate helped a bunch! I can imagine a wet uphill climb would be very very challenging.

This photo is at the top of that never ending descent with big rocks. The looks on these riders with their dual-sports looking at me was priceless.
    GH017197_1595198306816.JPG

Thanks for the review- one of the main reasons I got the KTM was for this kind of beating and good to know that it can take it lol!
    Bitingdog, stevegpt and jojojones like this.
  15. stevegpt

stevegpt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes. That’s the hill (never ending) we climbed!
    Bitingdog and motorock like this.
  16. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. Trokarr

Trokarr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bitingdog likes this.
  18. motorock

Oddometer:
    Bitingdog likes this.
  19. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I still think kawi will shock us all with a klr replacement prototype by the end of the year...hopefully under 400 lbs.
    Vandergraf and Bitingdog like this.
  20. motorock

Oddometer:
    Kawi just needs to up the power on the x300 with the 400 motor and it will be golden!
    I would be very tempted to switch to either the Yamaha or Kawi esp if I run into any technical issues with this KTM- the Japanese bikes truly are very low maintenance and made for abuse.
    Vandergraf and Bitingdog like this.