1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Ktm 390 adventure

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ErÑete, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

I’d advise you ride one first and try to lug the engine. It felt to me like the counter balancer, (much like on my several 950 KTMs), needs to hit a few thousand RPM (4-5000) before it starts to make a difference. It wasn’t a fuel problem, it was a mechanical imbalance that I believe still exists as they didn’t change it in the 16/17/18/19 Dukes or RC.

But like the MPG noted above, you will find everyone experiences, expectations or opinions are different. To me it was a far too narrow power delivery and horrid vibrations outside of that under a load, and this on a flyweight street bike that I’d stripped to minimal weight.
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW 390 has healthy mid-range (better than Ninja 400) but there's no point I have no interest in trading in neither my XCo nor my Superdual for Duke or 390adv.. for obvious reasons.
  3. BMWzenrider

BMWzenrider The Road Scholar Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, I was also struck by the matching shape of the torque curves of the G310 and KTM 390 motors.
    Especially versus the torque curves of the 250cc class thumpers on the graph, even the fuel-injected ones.
    So BMW and KTM must be doing something similarly different versus the Japanese bikes.

Small ADV & DS Bikes Power & Torque to Weight Curves.jpg

As far as the KTM 390 have much more torque on hand versus the G310, take a look at the fact that at only 3,500rpm the 390 produces the same torque to weight ratio as when the BMW mill is spinning at 6,000rpm!!

And I can tell you from experience with my G310GS, the bike gets a real boost on the fun-o-meter when you hit the 6k mark on the rev counter.

BTW - If anyone is interested, I can rerun the torque and power curves above for a different combined rider/passenger/cargo weight to show how the curves change. I have the data in a spreadsheet and just need to edit one cell to change the added loading. The above curves are for a combined additional load of 250 pounds.
    staticPort and timeOday like this.
  4. BMWzenrider

Oddometer:
    I would agree that this is the main question for most.

However, I have a solution for that...
    Old Ore Road 05.jpg
    I built this collapsible bike lift/hoist to help take care of heavy lifting chores.
    It even worked well with my 550 pound R1150R.

My problem is having a low enough seat height and weight to keep it upright when I stop, so I am not using the lift every 15 minutes...
    :muutt

BTW - This is the drop where I broke my leg.
    As the bike was going over to the right, the raised ground to that side prevented me from getting my foot out of the way in time, and since I was still moving forward at the time my foot turned about 45-60 degrees sideways when my toe caught on a rock.

I felt my foot turn, but could still put weight on the leg so I thought I had just maybe sprained it. When it was not getting better after a 10-12 days I went in to get an x-ray and found I had a spiral fracture just above my ankle.
    OOPS!!!
    :doh

20190313_092747.jpg Ankle 02.jpg
  5. BMWzenrider

Oddometer:
    I have been in the Battle Scooter section here for years, and have loved having scooters for city and suburban riding, my most recent was a Symba 100.
    Have even done some longer distances on an original Helix (once I got a backrest due to the cruiser foot position on that one).
    Riding the Helix across Iowa's windy plains was more pleasant that on a R1100GS due to the lower COG.

Shifting is not a problem at all for me, just the issue of not dropping them when I come to a stop.
    During my search, I did try a range of the current crop of midi and maxi scooters.
    They seem to be going towards taller seats these days, and having the wide floorboard down near my feet does not help at all either.

That, and most scooters are not as much fun off-road, and I am hoping to find a single bike to own going forward.
    I have been keeping an eye on the reboot of the famous Honda Cross Trail (CT) scooter, this time with a 125cc FI engine with ABS and full LED lights.
    It is still an underbone step-thru frame and also has the classic manual gearbox with an auto-clutch.
    If I do end up needing to go the route of two bikes, that may well be one of them.
    eakins likes this.
  6. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    How is it you have a "390 Adventure" curve on there when nobody has got one yet?

That curve actually *looks* pretty good.
    Especially compared to the 250L, yikes. Totally gutless up to 5k rpm, sheesh.
  7. Vectored2adv

Vectored2adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice action shot of a test bike.
    390adv.jpg

Looking forward to the reviews starting next month.
    BMWzenrider likes this.
  8. BMWzenrider

Oddometer:
    I posted a reply to a similar question earlier.
    Just scroll back.
  9. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    You've got the charts down for torque curves, no doubt.. how about a chart showing the remaining rear suspension travel with 250 lbs of weight on board (rider/luggage) by type of moto. Would be interesting to determine if one can even use the torque available given the parameters of the moto's capabilities offroad if they are limited by rear suspension travel. At proper sag the Adventure would have 5.2" of rear travel (no clue on the others) however I'm assuming that travel (5.2") will be near impossible laden with 250lbs of rider/luggage. One could also assume that a moto would travel easier at a specified constant speed in an offroad environment with 8" of rear travel vs 4" regardless of the torque available.

Next up.. Has anyone determined what type of air filter will be provided in the air box on the adventure? We all know the limitations of a paper filter such as that on the duke for off-road..right?

upload_2019-11-12_22-58-52.png
    Brtp4 likes this.
  10. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Odd the rider is wearing street gear on an adventure bike? At least there is some mud splashed on it,, probably from the previous rider considering how clean his boots and shins are.
    Maxacceleration and Brtp4 like this.
  11. Umeku

Umeku n00b

Oddometer:
    How good do you think 390ADV will be compared to CB500X?
  12. Mermaid Hilly

Mermaid Hilly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    KTM would have to do something akin to making pigs fly to convince us to ever buy a new KTM again at this point. We really didn't like being their beta testers. Mainly because their beta testing phases can cost a lot of money (in addition to the sale price because the warranty is mostly worthless) and their failures can actually be catastrophic / trip ending.

On the other hand, our Himalayan didn't really have a beta testing phase at all and the few things that were problems are fixed pretty easily (under a decent warranty).. plus those items would never leave anyone stranded.

We ignored the people that warned us thinking they were simply over exaggerating- nope! lesson learned I guess :(
    cyclopathic likes this.
  13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Red Bull.. it gives you wings
  14. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thats a bummer on the broken leg, @BMWzenrider. I'm curious as to what kind of boots you were wearing when you broke your leg, and if you think the injury would have occurred no matter the type/level of protection as a result of twisting forces. How fast were you traveling at the time of the fall-over? Was the force amplified by the weight of the bike? Also, did the twist impact your knee in any way? It looks like an injury most ADV riders are prone to, so I'm trying to learn from your misfortune and tailor my protection strategy accordingly. Thanks for any feedback you might have.
  15. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2019 DL650XT Touring

Oddometer:

The X will be more of a frugal touring bike. Great friendly engine. Smooth. valve checks are really far a part. Nice windshield. Really great price.
    Still low COG and flickable compared to a Versys 650. The 19" front will help with sand and gravel, but still be flickable on the country roads. suspension is the biggest things holding her back.

The 390 could be the next big platform bike. So the aftermarket will have a 21" front for her in just a few months, ABS be damned. Just how on the MIGHT DR, you can put a 19" front on her.

I'm hopeful that the KTM will be a game changer, and then Japan will have to update the KLR. At least they stopped making them.:dirtdog

So effing glad this segment is finally getting proper attention.
  16. ptgarcia

ptgarcia Huh?

Oddometer:

What "game" are you talking about, and how do you hope the 390 changes it?
    Brtp4 likes this.
  17. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Has it been determined that a 21" front wheel/tire will fit within the confines of the stock front suspension travel and not impact the lower triple clamp against the front fender at full compression?
    Brtp4 and Yeti2ride like this.
  18. Yaay

Yaay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Of course not. It's just his wishlist I guess. No way 21 inch front will fit that bike without heavily modding the suspension.
    Brtp4 likes this.
  19. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    I know.. but it is fun to play dumb at times.
    Brtp4 likes this.
  20. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2019 DL650XT Touring

Oddometer:
    It does not need to be 10" of travel. They can keep the same amount of travel.

Some folks just like a 21" front to help prevent wash outs when out in the middle of no where.
    The RE Hima has
    Front Suspension 41mm; 7.8-in. travel
    Rear Suspension 7.0-in. travel
    which is plenty
    In conclusion:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The big issue will be the ABS.