1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Ktm 390 adventure

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ErÑete, Dec 13, 2016.

1. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2019 DL650XT Touring

Oddometer:

No, not my wishlist.

A prediction that the after market will jump all over this MC.
  2. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Companies making money off of consumers is the game.

The 390 will sale so well that Team Japan will put the 400 into the Versys and or a modern KLR will be built.
  3. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, as promised I went to my local not so handy dandy KTM dealer to take a peek at the Duke 390 and possibly take it for a spin just for comparison sake. We got to talking about bikes and KTM in general, since they also sell Kawasaki. They didn't have a 390 Duke serviced, so I couldn't go for a ride, but I looked it over pretty good, the front brake line sure is pulled tight when the bars are turned left, I would be concerned about that, if anyone owns one or buys a 390A please take a look at that.

They couldn't tell many how many 390A's they could order but mentioned most if not all will be presold like the 790R was. So, the big question is, what's the Out The Door price? I 'bout crapped my pants! They want to add $1089 to the MSRP $6199, so $7288!!! WTH!? $450 freight, $500 assy. and $139 documentation fees!? Then you still have TT&L in my state! I thought this was supposed to be a budget minded bike! This is EXACTLY what I have been talking about when it comes to buying new bikes, has anyone put down a deposit at MSRP, or close, if so from which dealer?

I think those fees are a bit excessive and that turns me off, makes me want to call around in the future and not even stay local when looking for a new bike. I mentioned they are also a Kawasaki dealer and they did not have one single Versys of any size in stock! Hope everyone else has better luck shopping around, I am definitely out with those fees, I would be in at that price if it were an R though!
  4. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess the question would be if there's enough travel/clearance/suspension and power improvement to justify extra $$$ over Versys X and loss of spoked wheels. Yes switchable ABS and cool TFT dash but traveling on loaded bike for 13k I was only tempted once to turn ABS off. That was on steepish loose downhill on completely worn street tire. Modern ABS units are pretty good.
  5. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    I was a supporter of the Versys 650 until the 19" front CBX came out.
    Now, she's dead to me.

Also, they've updated the Ninja 650 twice in the last 4 years or so, and the Versys 650 is the same bike from 2015. Granted, in 2016 they added a gear indicator.

but Kawi is still better than the Candy Yams.

___
    The 390 will be 50lbs or so lighter and have switchable ABS. Hp is just a little less than the Honda.
    39 vs 45hp or so.

The 373cc is the better platform than the 471cc.
    A thumper will beat a P.Twin 180 degree crank. Now a 270 degree crank.... no.

But, I'll take the Honda when traveling across the Dakotas to get to the west.
    Granted, northern NB is actually a good route too. My favorite. Lots of small towns to change things up. It does add more time.
  6. bobfab

bobfab Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hate to join in this frivolous wheel size speculation as I have yet to see anyone push a cast wheel too hard when "adventure" riding... But I must interject that those cb500x have crf250l front suspensions on them to accompany that 21" front.

Edit: not that anyone asked for my opinion, but I am disappointed with the 390 adv due to weight alone, I was hoping it would be a little lighter to offer more of a low maintenance alternative to the 500exc line...
  7. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    I'm confident that the aftermarket will somehow....

[​IMG]

___
    The lowest common denominator is that she is a KTM. There will be demand.
  8. camgregus

camgregus riding gently now Supporter

Oddometer:
    on the banks of the mighty mississippi, AR side
    ; popcorn
    Jthewood and Brtp4 like this.
  9. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:

I don't think the aftermarket will attempt this due to the cost of re-engineering the whole front end on a low cost model...I think you will see a 490R before that ever happens...and that will probably be year(s). I'm in the camp no R version for the 390 which is fine with me.

ps...if you dig through the 500X threads Jenny Morgan explains why Rally Raid did not go to 21. 21 is not the holy grail.
  10. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice.

Somewhere, Tony Foale is laughing.

BP
    Fast1, Grreatdog and Bultaco206 like this.
  11. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn, that was almost too obscure for me. :lol3

Kind of funny to see what all everybody wants and expects out of a $6000 entry level bike.
    North ride, Vectored2adv and Brtp4 like this.
  12. Unhingedlizard

Unhingedlizard Long timer

Oddometer:
    ABS won't be a problem. I've ridden 24000km on a 390 Duke, including gravel, wet grass, and a couple of winters and the abs only gets turned off if I want to do stoppies. It's a brilliant and sublime system that let's you ride the lines you want to without worrying about lock ups.

The only extra I want from the adv abs is the ability to turn it off and on while riding. The Duke is only switchable when stopped, and you have to turn the ignition off and on to get it back on.

Edit: realise I just contradicted myself there! I want to be able to switch between supermoto (offroad) mode, off and on while riding.
  13. Unhingedlizard

Unhingedlizard Long timer

Oddometer:
    7500km of road only riding and a the tiny paper filter is poked. I hope its a drop in cleanable unit or someone like Rottweiler makes a unit soonish
  14. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:
    just looking at the new 1290 and noticed the hazard light switch. Where is the switch on the 390? Please don't tell me that some knucklehead decided to remove it to save 3 bucks.
    Dutch idiot likes this.
  15. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll bet RallyRaid is working on kit as we speak. After all this is a better starting point than G310GS
  16. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    I belief he was posting about a 21" swap.

But,
    The 390 is a better platform than the GS, but not night and day.

2.9 gallons to 3.6 gallons is nice.
    ~33hp to ~39hp. rear wheel.
    Maybe 10lbs lighter for the KTM.
    Not sure about how the suspension differences.
  17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    My take on 390 that you either buy and ride it as is accepting limitations (cast wheels, suspension travel) or start with better starting point (SWM superdual). This was my evaluation on G310GS and I don't see 390adv any different.

Now the BMW fan boys and orange gang will tell me wrong and I am sure the RallyRaid will disagree with this assessment also. This is fine the market is big there will be enough people who would choose to go that route for one reason or another. Peace.
  18. IndigoSwann

IndigoSwann Pirate

Oddometer:
    I understand brand loyalty and fans of brands - but if you're looking at purchasing the 310 GS or 390 Adventure for circa $6,000 USD it does not make sense to me to then spend another $2-$3K or more on Rally Raid products to create a better adventure bike. Might as well buy a better bike for the same $8K-$9K to begin with in my opinion! Buy and ride to their limitations, accept the bike for what they are and enjoy it. That being said I would love to have a TOP GEAR like challenge of only say having $1,000 to purchase and convert a small street bike into a desert attack vehicle to cross the Sahara... but I digress..
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    No word back yet but RM ATV Tusk wheel sets are costing $500-600. Warp 9 about $100 more, but those include new rotors too.

Those RR kits are also suspension upgrades too vs wheels only. No need to upgrade this suspension for most... that's the big appeal...but I expect suspension tuners to offers mods for those that want it.

I don't see 21/18" available as easy bolt on for this setup, but I do see a stock size 19/17" spoke wheel package become available in addition to the KTM upgrade wheels that are going to be available too.

Hopefully RM ATV comes thru here. They are a big KTM dealer and fan and so I'd expect some traction here once they get a bike in and can measure everything. They are building some real high quality Made in Taiwan upgrade parts these days as is Warp 9 too.

I can see a $600 spoke wheel upgrade being very popular on this bike vs the need to spend several grand. Many will easily drop $400 for a new pipe alone.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/tires-and-wheels/tusk-impact-complete-front-and-rear-wheel-p
    https://www.warp9racing.com/

Both are Utah companies in a riding state where you need to use quality off-road equipment.

I encourage everyone to call both of these companies and ask them if they have any plans. That's the best way for them to see the potential demand.
  20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Or maybe we will get reports back that early buyers tried their best to push the stock cast wheels and damage them and they could not.
    Newstrom48 and fastnlight like this.