1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Ktm 390 adventure

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ErÑete, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Red liner

Red liner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think you press the indicator switch inwards (moves left and right too) and the hazards come on. No separate switch i think
    jojojones likes this.
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    When I say oem specs, I mean they fit like OEM parts would. The oem parts you move over fit just as well on these new hubs.

I asked them about the wheels and they have them built all in the same factory in Taiwan with quality sourced local parts and parts the factory makes. Like GPX, RM ATV is choosing very specific high quality parts to build a complete wheel.

They are not shopping on Alibaba for the cheapest shit, mainland China crap parts to stake their reputation on.

I wanted you to read their spec sheet on materials to understand what the spec and how they build up. Obviously that was lost in translation.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    KTM just built a modern KLR.
    That may offend some and excite others.
    Nobade, jojojones, Fast1 and 3 others like this.
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    First time hanging out in a cheap new bike reveal thread? It's non-stop in the Japanese ones.
    BMWzenrider, Brtp4 and cyclopathic like this.
  5. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    That's the way I see it too. It's a modern KLR with the latest tech for $500 less than the MSRP on the last KLR.
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Japanese bikes are often cheaper executed. Thus they are picked heavily over so you spend more to make it right, ie non-cheap parts. And thus alot of early discussion what needs to be modified asap.

The Japanese might go cheap, buy it's still working functional for those that just want to buy and ride.

The KTM bikes, on the other hand, are expensive with better parts. It's expected it to have quality out the door.

Thus you are spending more to make it that much more high-end or you are fixing some design flaws from a too quick to market bike.

The DR buyer spends $5k just to make it right.
    The 690 buyer spends $5k to bling it out.
  7. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not even sure what point are you arguing? All mainland parts are crap? Good thing I don't own iPhone!

There are x4 more people living in China than in US; they are biggest economy in the world and unarguably biggest MFG base. Obviously there will be a spectrum of products from very bad to very good and if something done in Taiwan and picked by GPX it doesn't automatically means it's good quality. (Look video below)

What was argued that 1) hubs specific for big/street bikes are considerably more expensive than MX hubs; 2) RM at present time sells only dirt bike wheelsets; 3) you cannot judge price of street/adventure bike wheelsets by price of MX wheels.

Look how much Woody wheels cost, how much RR wheels.. for a good reason. if they could make them cheeper they would.. or you think they're just crooks?

EDIT:
    teardown of GPX FSE250R Fast Ace (Taiwan) rear shock
  8. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually Kawasaki built one: Versys X is more KLR than 390. Or was it BMW when they built F650GS Dakar? Sertao? X-Challenge? I'm confused.
    breakm likes this.
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Yes you are confused...give it a break.
    Vectored2adv and Unhingedlizard like this.
  10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    But not to the point to hail a street bike with cast wheels a new dualsport. Peace
    Unhingedlizard likes this.
  11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would also add that many adv inclined owners will add engine guards (+7.6lbs), side racks(7-9lbs)/boxes(11.5-14lbs ea) and center stand (+9.5lbs) which will add weight.

One Superdual owner had gotten his bike down to 157kg/345lbs with 14L of fuel by removing/replacing parts; less than my X-Country with Leo weights.
    Unhingedlizard likes this.
  12. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    At the end of the day we all spend to make it "ours"!

We've waited quite a while for this unicorn, I don't think KTM has rushed it to market. For my purposes for this bike I'd prefer 19"/17" wheels, and I'd rather have tubeless tires on cast wheels than tube type tires on wire wheels. Alternatives will be available for those with different tastes. For harder core tracks where 21"/18" excel I'd choose a 500 EXC anyway. I already tried a G310GS and it didn't quite turn me on. Can't wait to actually ride the 390 ...
  13. IndigoSwann

IndigoSwann Pirate

Oddometer:
    Is the 390 ADV going to be an actual viable adventure machine or is it really going to be a street/commuter that looks like an ADV bike? Are we going to get a decent stock machine with the 490 I wonder?

I decided to buy a RE Himalayan in the US now and not wait on the possibility of us not getting this machine in the future, then they tell us about the 490..

I love my Himalayan but I see where a smoother Parallel Twin engine, a wee bit more power and a 6 speed transmission would be more alluring for a rider that's 90% street as the trails are 2+ hrs away
    cyclopathic likes this.
  14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a good question. I would guess it would be a better slightly underpowered cb500x? Is it viable? depends on your definition of adventure.

Personally I bent cast rim and broken frame so I would not take chances on 3rd world roads but there are guys who ride there on street/sport bikes it would not deter them for sure. Since bike is coming from India I would guess it will be sturdy enough if not immediately perhaps a couple years down the road. Himalayan had some teething issues it wasn't until BS4 when they became what they are now and what is sold worldwide.
    IndigoSwann likes this.
  15. IndigoSwann

IndigoSwann Pirate

Oddometer:
    Well that' the real question, isn't it? What's your expectations of your adventure vs what you will actually be riding vs what the bike is marketing as vs what it's capable of in the real world.

CB500X etc just doesn't get my blood pumping, no fizz - sure it's a solid bike with lots of fans though!
  16. Newstrom48

Newstrom48 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I'm with you. I will always mod to make it "mine". Also, tubeless on cast wheels fits me. Made my DR650 tubeless.
  17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 on tubeless conversion with all weight on RTW bike you won't be running pressure low enough to justify rim locks and it is so much easier to plug then unload bike and patch tube especially if you have Heidi or Mitas Dakar. Still spoke wheels are less likely to bend and easier to fix so tubeless spoke wheels are way to go.. just saying.
  18. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2019 DL650XT Touring

Oddometer:
    As stock, you could make the argument that the X 300 is more KLR like.
    Travel and torque is not there for when the forest roads turn into rough jeep trails.

But on the open road, the hp is about the same.

Once the aftermarket gets a hold of the 390, she will be a on point to replace the KLR. But if you throw in after market into the talk, then the MIGHTY DR is now in command.
    :D

___
    Something in between the X 300 and KLR 650 would be just about right, but with switchable rear ABS.
    Maybe next year.
  19. BMWzenrider

BMWzenrider The Road Scholar Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Superdual X (21/18) model is listed on their site as having a seat height of 910mm.
  20. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    The '09 XCo seat is 32.5" per my measurement but it feels higher/about the same as one on Superdual T. This is not hearsay I own both peace.