Ktm 450 (2003) known issues ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ohgood, Jun 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at a ktm 450 exc 2003. What are the known issues with this bike, and engine ?

I've heard the rfs is a very good engine, but want to know about the little known failure points so I can address them before the first ride.

Be as detailed as you like, thank you.
  2. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    The SX ti valves on a few were short lived but 16 years later they woulda been replaced already. Its one of the stoutest engine designs ever built, my 03 SX525 was as reliable a brick. Id look at typical wear items related to an old dirt bike rather than design weaknesses as I dont think you will find any. Seals, bearings, valve adjusters not maxed out.

If used as a true SM race bike, the cranks were not super happy forever at the highest RPMs wailing. Again, if that was mission it would have been addressed.
    ohgood and RideFreak like this.
  3. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    That it's old and parts are starting to go away :D
    ohgood and Navin like this.
  4. Ned1

Ned1 Still kickin

Oddometer:
    Get a newer one...
  5. ohgood

Oddometer:
    I've heard newer models went pop more often than older models, specifically 06-09.

I'm fine with old dirt bikes, and needing to replace things. the new $10,000 dirt bikes are about 300% higher than I'm willing to spend for something that is going to be tossed into a creek.
  6. ohgood

Oddometer:

sorry about that, i didn't specify it was an exc in the original post. i am assuming now that the sx /exc are different animals ?

thanks!
  7. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, I had a few EXCs too, all good solid bikes but like anything else used off road age and parts availability is a factor. You can get everything but its only going to get harder to do so. Plus the newer ones used aren't much more in the end and are better bikes as they continued to develop them. (Yes, even the 2008).
    ohgood likes this.
  8. ohgood

Oddometer:

I'm coming off a kdx 200 to an exc 250 and a drz to a exc450, so it's already a really big change. I'm fine with the aged stuff.
  9. Ned1

Ned1 Still kickin

Oddometer:
    No no, not talking NEW new, more like an 06 or 07 if you're set on the RFS. I get it if the stars are easily lined up on this 03 bike, but if the opportunity presents itself for a more recent one, you're better off.

Enjoy whatever it ends up being.
    ohgood likes this.
  10. Ned1

Ned1 Still kickin

Oddometer:
    PS... the 'I heard' fact factory isn't anyone's friend