KTM 450 Rally Rebuild for ADV.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by OM, Nov 6, 2016.

1. OM

OM Owners Manual

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

Explanation to this thread coming to be can be found here.

I bought the bike for 12.4K euros, 2013 model with 2 PO´s. The bike had been rallied about 5 times, albeit not at a pro level. Last PO was owner of KTM Calama, northern Chile, so service was regular.

New top end was installed some months ago, has circa 60 hours on it.

The bike had some wear and tear:

Attached Files:

keepshoveling likes this.
  2. OM

OM Owners Manual

Oddometer:
    Some more ¨details¨ :cromag:

Attached Files:

3. OM

OM Owners Manual

Oddometer:
    Since cash is short after this grand purchase (and im saving for possibly even a larger overhaul in the coming future), im working on a need basis and going piece by piece. Hands on work is on my weekends, during the week im buying parts and getting some other things done by people who have the tools that I dont :D.

First off were the wheels, because the bike felt like riding on a pair of eggs. PO´s raced in mouses and em... he didnt really seem to steer clear of the rocks . They were bathed in wd40, adjusted and trued (pictures coming soon). I´d say they came out decent, and will be good enough for some time before purchasing a new set.

Rear brake caliper had to come off, as the system was completely aired. It turned out the bore was leaking oil, so it came apart and woe-behold: everything was burnet and scathed!

IMG_7711.JPG IMG_7713.JPG

So, after some elbow grease, I got down to this:

IMG_7718.JPG

New rings, bore, retaining springs, cup sets and pads are coming in next week. While im there i´ll also clean and the whole brake system, mainly rear disk which a but emm, ¨rusty¨ :devildog

Attached Files:

4. OM

OM Owners Manual

Oddometer:
    Coming up:

Exhaust manifold is off, and im looking to source a local DB killer, because the system is too loud. While im in there, i´ll probably buff and polish the whole thing manifold and mid-pipe included. See if I can get some of the scratches off.

IMG_7723.JPG

Check out the insides of this akrapo muffler, talk about de restricted!

IMG_7724.JPG

It comes with it´s name on it: IMG_7726.JPG
    dooby and Bitingdog like this.
  5. OM

OM Owners Manual

Oddometer:
    Here´s one for you folks, i´ve got this problem:

IMG_7721.JPG IMG_7722.JPG

From what I see i´ll have to remove the swingarm and take it to a pro to extract the bolt and re thread. For now, I cant really adjust the chain tension which is no good :dirtdog

Anyways, I see it as an opportunity to go deeper into the bike and clean and fix within the frame and pro lever linking. Posts will come as I advance.

Cheers :D
  6. davesupreme

davesupreme grand poobah

Oddometer:
    DB killer is crazy talk on that bike, you're just gonna choke it up.....
  7. OM

OM Owners Manual

Oddometer:
    dave if I dont put a DB silencer on it, im probably going to lose my hearing.
  8. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    If you look close at the adjuster bolt it straightens out just before threading into the swingarm. I would carefully cut it off at the bend, that should allow it to turn w/o interfering with anything. A dremel with a cutoff disk would do it and also allow you to cut a slot in what's left. I would make sure it turns freely before doing that, possibly soak it with liquid wrench/PB Blaster first if it's hard to move.

What's up with the PO, looks like he just rode the thing and sucked at maintenance. Hate to say this but that would make me suspect any work that was claimed to have been done. I'd want to open it up and see for myself.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  9. davesupreme

davesupreme grand poobah

Oddometer:
    hearing's over-rated.... i gotta M4 sumo header and can, real short, WFO on mine... everybody sez it's loud... i don't know it w/a helmet on.... and i wuz gonna say the same as my man RF said... just cut that off real nice-like.... if you could get a left hand drill bit, that would prolly bring it right out....
  10. OM

OM Owners Manual

Oddometer:
    DISCLAIMER: I bent the swingarm bolt trying to set it back with an extended breaker bar. The thing wouldnt move even after soaking in wd40 for a full night, so I dont think i´ll be able to take it off if I cut and slot it. Its almost seized.

The bike has been almost unridden for the past year and a half, since the PO got the new 2015 model. This, added to the hot, dry and salty weather from where it came has plenty of the bolts stuck, and lever joints squeak. But yes, he could have done better in the maintenance department. Thats my turn it seems, and yes, I will open it up when I get there. Im not running the bike as for now.
  11. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    Ok, I thought that was PO damage. You need one of these: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/...-Buddy-Chain-Adjuster-Bolt-Repair-Kit?v=11314

There's some plastic plugs that allow access to the inside of the swingarm, if you haven't already I'd remove those and pour some rust cutter in there and allow it to soak the other side of those bolts. They tend to rust where they extend past the threads inside the swingarm.
    OM likes this.
  12. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I deal with stuff like this all the time at work and have had a high success rate of getting things to free up by using heat, especially on aluminum where the heat expansion rate is higher than the steel it is wrapped around... Take a torch or heat gun and heat up the area around the bolt, once hot spray some penetrating oil on the threads {better if the arm is facing up so gravity moves the oil down into the threads} and give it a go..
    DesertRatliff, OM and davesupreme like this.
  13. davesupreme

davesupreme grand poobah

Oddometer:
    these bikes are pretty much all alu.... rule one is that you gottzzta put the BFH away!... if it don't go easy, you gotta get it greazzzyy.... WD40 ain't much of a penetrant, you gotta use that PB Blaster stuff or Kroil or something like that.... and whut he sed... propane torch is your friend, it's even in the KTM shop manuals....
    Bitingdog and DesertRatliff like this.
  14. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are the 450 rally engine cases a non common part? Like they are only for the 450 rally? Just how different is the rally motor from other 450 motors and the 690 motor?
  15. OM

OM Owners Manual

Oddometer:
    From what
    I understand the engine is unique to the 450 rfr. Although it shares a similar top end with the 450sx, the bottom is different components and transmission wise.

With regards to the 450 to 690 rally engines, asides from obvious displacement I do not know. I suppose cams and clutch system are different, gearbox is 5 speed vs 6 speed (690rally). 690 rally vs 690 standard are different as well, one has extra clutch plate (rally), different cams with the 690 standard using an evo 2 cam, gearbox on the rally is narrower.

Curiously the 450 rally and 690 standard have a similar power output at circa 70hp. I had a standard 690 and can confirm that they feel similar in power output, but with the 450 having less torque and tapping into the powerband at mid to high revs.
    alvincullumyork likes this.
  16. OM

OM Owners Manual

Oddometer:
    So when I was considering buying this bike I asked the man who pretty much started this whole rally bike for Adv. thing, Lyndon Poskitt. He said to go for it, but the thing is that rally bikes have been in fact rallyed and as I have come to see, races do take their toll. He said, there are good ones, ones that look good but are really dogs, and ones that are worth shite.

I seem to have come across a dog. Not good, not bad, but a dog nonetheless. I dont think she has ever been stripped down since, well... never, albeit having regular service intervals. But im really going bolt by bolt and nut by nut. So anyways, this weekend I got her down to this:

IMG_7816.JPG

I removed the swingarm but the chain adjuster bolt did not give so im taking it to a shop to get it done. While she was out I noticed a few other details:

IMG_7766.JPG

So i´ll need some new shaft seals and rings, probably replace the bushes while im in there. I´ll se what I can do about the chain groove, maybe reweld a glob of alu on there. If the seal on the same side of the groove what not have been smashed then I probably would leave be.

Prolever linking was taken apart, cleaned and repacked. Im sorry to all for such a boring update, but to be honest this is what i´ve mostly been up to:

IMG_7783.JPG IMG_7784.JPG

Carb is out and i´ll dive into that next weekend. Wire loom as well, and man, that was ugly, the PO never could have installed a blinker on that thing in his life, so i´ll have to build from scratch. Even the battery box was smashed! :dunno

I did a whole lot of detail work, cleaning, sanding, removing seized bolts, reinstalling. Everything seemed to have rust or gunk on it, poor thing, she really needed a loving hand... So for the next few weeks, i´ll be grooming through the more time consuming stuff, clean clean cleaning and re installing things right!

Im debating on whether to take the frame off for a repaint since im in there or wait for a potential engine swap to get into that. This question is, can I live with the rust? Havent decided yet, so i´ll sleep on it, which im going to do soon since its been a long day :mully
  17. ericGSsti

ericGSsti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It must have seen the salt flats at some stage in it's rally life.
  18. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    It looks like you got your work cut out for you, I'd have a bead welded onto those groves in the swingarm then shape it back down with a file and replace all the guts at the swingarm bolt.

You can look at it this way, any used bike that you'll be riding RTW should be gone through in-depth if you don't know it's history or prev owner. In the end you'll have learned allot and will know the bike inside and out.
    davesupreme likes this.
  19. OM

OM Owners Manual

Oddometer:
    Yup thats what I did with the swingarm. It turned out nice. Either way its off, polished, and will be sent to powder coating along with frame, footrests and nav tower.

Bike will be stripped down to frame this weekend, it seems the rebuild will take some more time since i´ll probably swap the 450 engine for a 690 (or 730cc). Thanks for your positive feedback RF!
  20. sir marco

sir marco Always on the run

Oddometer:
    I have fitted the exaust of a exc 450 and that works realy well
    The noise is not ear bleeding anymore, and no lack off power.