KTM 500 EXC-F: "Just-Right ADV light?" ... or too much maint.?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Tone615, Dec 22, 2016.

1. beemer boy

beemer boy Oh no, he's gone Asian

Oddometer:
    When people talk about which bike is better for a given set of conditions, there is
    one element which is always missing. And that is the operator. Knowledge of the bike itself,
    and how to operate it causing the least amount of wear on the bike. So if a master
    mechanic and a 18 year old kid took the same bike on a 10,000 mile trip, pretty sure
    the master mechanic that knew the bike inside and out would have a better chance
    of keeping the bike running than the kid.... So before a big trip, buy all the latest bling,
    but take the time to know your bike well, and what ever weak points that model has.
    I have had a lot of different bikes in a lot of remote locations ( all over Asia ), and usually
    always managed to keep the bike going.
  2. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:

Well said Robert!!! You have indeed piloted many a bike about, and funnily enough it's not BMW or Africa twins I loved the most of yours but this Beauty.

[​IMG]

The mighty MTX!!! You rode this when we did the Omkoi - Sangklaburi link up track.

Here just getting off the bamboo raft.

[​IMG]

The Deplorables from that trip. A mixed bag of KTM, Kawasaki, Husaberg and Hondas all made it through and all had fun.

[​IMG]

So should you ride the KTM 500 along the TAT track????? Why the fuck not?

Enjoy your rides and ride whatever ya want.
  3. beemer boy

beemer boy Oh no, he's gone Asian

Oddometer:
    Haha thanks Justin, that brought back memories. That is a pretty scary looking group of guys....
    That MTX was a pistol of a bike. Tore it all apart, dropped in a used 200 cc engine, and left for
    that jungle trip the next day. Worked flawlessly. In fact had to ride Mike two up on the bike
    for the trip back to Bangkok when his KLX died by the roadside. Then later took the bike on
    that Laos trip to see Lima 20. Again worked flawlessly, and in fact had to add on the bag from
    Joe's XR250 when his subframe broke in Laos. Just as long as I kept pouring oil into the gas it would keep running.....

Sure loved my KTM though.........It never failed to make forward progress .
    Until I crashed it.......
    [​IMG]
    Benduro likes this.
  4. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you end up with. You could always build out the WR, squeeze a bit more power out of it and add better suspension bits. Loved my 690 for 100mph screams in the open dbl tracks and fire roads but in technical trails or in big whooped out stuff it needed better suspension and a diet, could still do it just took more rider skill and I was coming up a little lacking. I bought the 690 thinking I'd be doing more DS/Camping but I have a GSA for that which goes off road nicely http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...mw-or-otherwise.424601/page-526#post-30299797

The 500 does distance trips, though I missed a worn rear wheel bearing on the pre trip inspection and it needed to be replaced with no KTM dealers withing 200km - turns out the parts are pretty common and can be found in any bearing shop.
    - oops there's a DRZ in that clip being towed by a KTM while the other KTM goes for the truck 50km down the highway... lol
    overtone, Benduro and Bitingdog like this.
  5. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish Riding to disappear.

Oddometer:
    beemer boy and team ftb, shame I didn't know you fellas for a ride together when I lived over there. Would have been fun.
  6. Brian_BKK

Brian_BKK Adventurer

Oddometer:

That was an epic trip..
    [​IMG]

Tony's rode report.

http://www.gt-rider.com/se-asia-mot...sangkhlaburi-to-umphang-and-back.10498/page-3

You will remember the clown from chiang mai tried to create loads of hatred and resentment after this ride by using other people's pics with out asking.

He learnt what copyright and the digital millenia act means when his site was taken down until offending pictures were removed.
    Benduro and fullmonte like this.
  7. LUFC

LUFC n00b

Oddometer:
    Ah so thats why he is know as The Pudgy Picture Thief , always wounded :)
    Brian_BKK likes this.
  8. RidersCornerThailand

RidersCornerThailand Adventurer

Oddometer:
    At 5,000 rpm there's still a finite period of service compared to other robust engines (like being long WAMU hoping it wont go bang i suppose?)

9. RidersCornerThailand

Oddometer:

It's a 6 hour track? not an adventure track? You could ride a motocross bike through there probably quicker than any other bike???

[​IMG]IMG_6760_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr
  10. jasonmt

jasonmt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just so I am a informed reader, The Pudgy Picture Thief = Phillip Gibbins = PG007 (well know ADVRider spammer) = RidersCornerThailand (becoming a know ADVRider DB) =
    [​IMG]
    mylsmkj, Thatdog and jackbyo like this.
  11. mylsmkj

mylsmkj Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know at least a portion of that is very true.
    Thatdog likes this.
  12. 1wicked55

1wicked55 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a link to the pudgy picture thief storey.
    I would like to read the storey behind his sticky pixels
    Thanks
    mylsmkj, Bitingdog and Thatdog like this.
  13. Cuttlefish

Oddometer:
    How prevalent are the engine vibes on the 500 EXC?
    Test ride a late model duke690r recently and was surprised by how much it vibrated.
  14. mylsmkj

mylsmkj Long timer

Oddometer:
    The huskyFE501S I had I didn't notice any vibration, but admittedly I ride a 300 2stroke that vibrates like crazy so I may not notice. The 690 must be kinda vibey. They added a second counter balancer I think (could be wrong)
  15. danptobin

danptobin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is some vibration but I wouldn't call it excessive.
    Benduro likes this.
  16. Thatdog

Thatdog Hickster

Oddometer:
    X2

The lc4 motor in the Duke and 690 enduro have noticeable vibes. Ive personally never found it a problem, guess some are more sensitive to
    It. But yes, i do feel them compared to my 500, and only on long pavement sections
  17. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
    I'm so bored I'll quote myself as a reply.

690 vibey? Guess it depends on what it's compared to.
    You're right they added a second counter balancer, the 690 is a more revvy lump these days :-)
    Benduro likes this.
  18. Cuttlefish

Oddometer:
    I was surprised with the Duke since reviews all talked about it counterbalancer being effective. Going to test ride a 500 EXC six days tomorrow and unfortunately it's going to be on paved roads so a duck out of water. Will ride back to back with a klx450r and a wrf450f. The plan: one bike to do it all.
  19. Royce Cochran

Royce Cochran was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    My "13 450xcw is a little vibey just sitting still reving it. Funny, the left side handle bar is worse than the right. I don't notice it so much riding it.

Don't know about the wrf 450 but the klx450 I had, had very narrow gear box ratios. Unusable as a dual purpose bike. The 500exc has a great gear box.
  20. RidersCornerThailand

Oddometer:
    No words needed (seriously)

[​IMG]no words by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

I hear you had a "scare" with the last blood test.

Deliverance?

[​IMG]brian and edward by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr