ktm 500 exc?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Visigothic, Apr 27, 2011.

1. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting this. Next after next on my list I think. hahaha (next is getting my tail tidy on, I'm beating the hell out of my wired-on license plate.
  2. Marco propje

Marco propje Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is my 500 sixdays 2019.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Fast1, Bitingdog, Cafeguzzi and 2 others like this.
  3. Proud Highway

Proud Highway one hand waving free

Oddometer:
    How many hrs you got on your bike?
  4. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's on the H/F lift right now, waiting for the parts to arrive.
    Hours... 165. Speedo 5700
    Not sure if the clutch problem is due to hrs runtime... but probably just the age of the bike. Wrong compounds used to deal with brake fluid.
  5. Marco propje

Marco propje Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not
    happy with the buddyseat.
    And change it for the third time.
    Ever it was perfect.
    [​IMG]
  6. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    Moved this over here from the Adventurizing a 500 EXC thread because this is the right place... Thanks in advance:

Hi all,
    I'm neck deep in trying to make my '15 500 EXC my own (as you've noticed) and RideFreak's frequent comments about how lean the bike is has started to wear on me. Add to that that I know I will eventually want to be able to run low octane fuel when required, and this makes me think of maps.

I was initially adverse to changing maps because I plan to take the bike to some pretty remote regions and stock feels "reliable," I think you will understand my logic there. However, I'm thinking after a year or two of BDRs I'd like to head to South America or Africa for a trip and Ill need the low octane option. Eventually even an RTW is in the plans so for sure low octane is out there somewhere, waiting for me.

But let's get back to the present lean condition and consider the future at the same time. What's my best approach, while keeping the bike as reliable as possible? BTW I don't have the screens in the exhaust (other than the spark arrestor). I essentially just "trail ride" the bike, slow single track, some faster double track, and some fast-ish squirts on FS roads. I don't do racing, or hard enduro, or desert racing. I see there's a Euro map available (somewhere) but if I get that can I switch to a low octane map when I need? Or will the Dobek controller do what I need, and just change the map if I have low octane? Maybe get that Dobek and add the Euro map to my existing ECU? Not sure at all..

Remember, I just want to richen up the existing map to a "proper" level so I'm not heat soaking the engine, and I want the ability to run low octane when I have to. Otherwise I'm satisfied with the engine performance as-is. Many thanks!
  7. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    Dunno... You could just the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) to give it more fuel.
    Commonly done to the 500 to reduce exhaust popping and uneven throttle response.

8. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    500EXC boys

I purchased the JD 6X tuner second hand and will be installing it.

Does any one on here have a few pages of the instruction manual they could pm me?

Mine came without, I've contacted JD already. Not sure if without a new sale they will be helpful.

Any pointers are appreciated.
  9. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    James Dean is an upstanding gentleman, and a wealth of knowledge on ktmt.

Treat him with respect (the man is dirtbiking royalty after all) and he'll be an incredible resource
    sharpie1 likes this.
  10. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    No disrespect intended

Just looking for information from the masses and understand I'm not a current customer and don't expect to be at the front of the list. Emailed them not calling to bother them.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  11. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    Possibly, but that doesn't really address the low octane map need. Also, I see a lot of folks really like the Euro map, but I don't think that addresses the low octane map topic either.

I probably don't need the low octane map option for a couple of years, especially since I've read a lot here about the Tour of Idaho route, the RMATV routes, etc. They can keep me busy until I head for Africa, for example. Still I'd like to solve it all once and for all if I could, or at least get the engine in a better, more durable condition (without the lean condition that is). Looking forward to everyone's recommendation, whether that means a TPS adjustment, a piggyback tuner, a Euro map, or a (very expensive) GET ECU. I hope it's not the latter....
  12. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    If [and only if] your '15 already has the unrestricted map from a prior owner, Blais Racing could probably hook you up with a map and a switch.
  13. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    I don't know about anything you just wrote... is this unrestricted map still available? How do I know if I have it now, or can I get it?
  14. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry - KTM put the clamp on changing ECU's through dealer computers a few years back. If you happened to get one "unlocked" prior to the ban, it stays that way. Companies like Blais can take advantage of that unlocked state to continue changing to suit your needs. Unfortunately locked/unlocked status can only be discovered by plugging in to the ECU unless you know it was done pre-ban.
    Bitingdog and RideFreak like this.
  15. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you can call Taco Moto, you'll get some expert advice.
  16. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    Calling them about anything is really hard, I've tried a few times, but I can try again. I'm contacting the previous owner to see if they know...

I know you guys know all about this too, especially @RideFreak so I hope I can get your opinions too on it.
  17. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    You likely know this; unless the previous owner had your ECU remapped back when it was still possible to do it you're locked into the stock map. That limits your options with regard to addressing the lean mapping from the factory. If it has the euro map (unlocked) there's a mapping switch that will now work with the ecu, it retards the timing 4 degrees so it functions very similar to a octane dongle used on other bikes. Lean running shows up as popping on deceleration and flameouts and the motor tends to run hotter. If you have those symptoms you can adjust the TPS sensor as was mentioned, it can be a big help with those symptoms. That's the less expensive option.

The second option in order of price is piggyback tuner. Those won't change the map but it will intercept it's signal and allow you to adjust the mixture in specific rpm regions to richen up the motor. This doesn't affect the timing so there's no "low octane" benefit.

The 3rd option is a aftermarket ECU like a GET, those are adjustable by the manufacturer or you can do it if you buy their software.

If the chance of running low octane fuels is a valid concern then you're going to need an unlocked or replacement ECU, none of the other options change timing. The mild map in the unlocked OE ECU is retarded 4 degrees from the stock map, exactly what you would need for low octane. For most of us that's not an issue, buy the best gas at the pump and don't worry about it, the fuels in the US are good enough that detonation isn't an issue. On this gen 500, many owners try out the TPS first and see how they like it, second step is ether the piggyback tuner or replacement ECU. Personally I prefer a remap of the stock ECU rather then a piggyback tuner or aftermarket ecu, both are non OE parts that are basically black boxes with zero repair options. If it goes bad you better have another of remove the part in the case of the piggyback tuner, those really haven't proven to be unreliable so it's not something I'd loose sleep over. It's the same situation as the stock ECU but they're OE build quality so I tend to trust them a little more. If the exhaust is changed then a remap, piggyback tuner or ECU is needed, the pipe will lean it out beyond what's considered wise to run the motor at.

There's one option you can explore that would fix everything, that is to see if an ECU from the same vintage 250/350/450 sx/xc-f can be remapped to 500 specs. Those ECUs come from KTM unlocked and Blias Racing can remap them. I seem to remember that the ECU's hardware was the same between the FI singles of the same gen and understood that they got different maps depending on the model but I've never confirmed that or explored that option, my ECU was remapped before I picked the bike up. If it's a consideration then I'd call Blias Racing, they'll know for sure. As far as the maps themselves go there's really not a reliability risk with a remapped ecu, depending on the map used the motor may use more fuel but its not something that would leave you stranded because you had a remap, it doesn't reduce the bike's reliability.

That's pretty much your options, I don't think I missed any but someone will chime in if I did.
  18. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    really great information, thank you.
  19. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been riding my '14 for a while without doing anything to the map or TPS with stock exhaust. Occasionally I've been forced to buy regular gas in some small towns in the western US with only one pump. Haven't noticed any problems at any temperatures or elevations. These are BDR type trips so not wringing its neck at the time.
    RideFreak likes this.
  20. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    Further into my clutch hydraulics rebuild. Got some parts... so I went ahead and farted with it.

Black goop on the end of the clutch master. Dissolved from the cylinder cover gasket.
    Replaced master with new piston etc ,etc.
    Blew out the brake line. Took out the slave cylinder. Little bit of goop in there too.
    Put new piston and o-rings in. Carefully re-assembled. Prefilled slave, pushed piston in till no bubbles.
    Then filled fluid from bottom with syringe.
    Worked lever. No bubbles. Dammit... clutch feels good but is still not releasing properly.
    Guess I'll see what I can find tomorrow. I'm gettin' aggravated.

20211015_133343.jpg
    RideFreak, SR1 and Sparrowhawk like this.