Ktm 500 Husky 501 Oz Adventure bikes

Discussion in 'Australia' started by bigbrad, Jan 2, 2017.

1. brucemuzik

brucemuzik Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. nzrian

nzrian renegade master Supporter

Oddometer:
    no worries, you will need to drill another two holes in the screen near the top edges of the stock light surround.
    i also spaced out the screen with some rubber washers, and made a small sheetmetal bracket to help support the screen on the top side near where the front brake line comes through.
    its requires some fetteling.
    Kiwirich likes this.
  3. brucemuzik

brucemuzik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great info. Thank you! Perhaps you could send us a close-up photo (or two)?
  4. nzrian

Oddometer:
    No worries.

IMG_20191106_042405.jpg

IMG_20191106_042335.jpg

IMG_20191106_042355.jpg

The bracket is made from the metal guide plate that comes with your tubliss gear.
  5. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
  6. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    @Cruz, could you please post a photo here of your excellent screen? ($90 / 690 ???)
  7. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
  8. nzrian

Oddometer:
    Bhart89 and sidetrack one like this.
  9. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Bought it from KTM at Virginia, Team Moto. Didn't need spacers or anything as they are built in to the screen.
    nzrian likes this.
  10. brucemuzik

brucemuzik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @nzrian - Thanks for the pics of your screen.

If we're going to do a screen diversion here, then here's another idea from @rtwpaul, who used a DR650 screen made by "Screens For Bikes" on his EXC 500. I love the rally style lip on it.

[​IMG]

He rerouted the brake line to behind the mask and has vinyl wrapped the screen in white vinyl. I love the look of it.
    nzrian and AUSSIEADV like this.
  11. anadel

anadel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thought I should show a few pics of my screen setup
    IMG_0918.JPG
    This is a Parabrisas screen marketed for the old KTM 690. http://www.parabrisascurtain.com/proscreen_cupulas_para_motos_modelos_otras/ktm/640-690-enduro.htm. However i have added a lower screen to provided a better airflow up to and behind the screen. I have over 20 years of experience mucking around with screens and this helps.
    IMG_0919.JPG
    I find that a lot of the screens don't come high enough for my liking and the benefits of the Parabrisas screen are that you can rotate it around the bars, move it forwards and upwards. The only negative is that you need to very securely clamp it to the bars, otherwise it can rotate due to wind pressure. I use some sturdy cable ties from the mounting arms to the Barkbuster mounts to prevent it rotating. This screen is less than $150AUD from Argentina. The lower screen came off my DR650 so I cut it down and dual locked it onto my KTM shroud. i have also used this screen on my DR650 and it would fit on any bike with a low-ish headlight shroud
    nzrian likes this.
  12. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
  14. outbackflyer

outbackflyer Of.

Oddometer:
    EB1D3AEC-0BF5-4DE7-9380-1215BBF576F1.jpeg Just received my aftermarket fuel pump and filter kits from all balls racing, so now I can safely ride my new Husqvarna Enduro bike into remote areas without risking my life. Hopefully Husqvarna will find a capable fuel pump manufacturer for their 2020 range of Enduro and adventure bikes.
    Kiwirich and a2zworks like this.
  15. hoorang

hoorang .

Oddometer:
    I replaced my 10,000 +km original fuel pump recently only to have the new pump fail within 250kms. I reinstalled the original pump and went on to do another 1000kms on that ride without issue on the old pump.

The replacement pump I had was a Kemso branded pump that was two years old and had travelled half of the kms on the original pump as a backup that was never required. I've since ordered a Quantum replacement and will see how that stands up.

Seems to me like A cheaper supplier is being used on the later models.
    outbackflyer likes this.
  16. outbackflyer

outbackflyer Of.

Oddometer:
    Good information thanks, really we shouldn’t be having to do this shet, to modern hi tech bikes etc
    hoorang and LivingdeadCamo like this.
  17. hoorang

hoorang .

Oddometer:
    100% agree, cost cutting of critical components without ensuring quality wasn't what put KTM where they are.

If we complain enough they'll just put the fuel pump as a 15 hour service item which with their current list price of $750 wouldn't surprise me.

Be stuffed if I would buy a new 500 or 501 especially for what they're selling them for now, $14500 on road in 2013 for bike and a pile of extra bits was only just agreeable with throwing into the dirt.
    Simosez and LivingdeadCamo like this.
  18. 0405canvet

0405canvet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve had two 500’s, a 690 and now a 701. All we’re eventually sold still with the original fuel pumps. Only regular fuel was used, not Premium. A well connected old timers’ advice. Just my experiences...
    nzrian likes this.
  19. nzrian

Oddometer:
    So premium fuel is no go then ?
    I have been using 95, I will start using the cheaper 91.

I have a spare quantum fuel pump on standby in the toolbox just in case.
  20. The Doc

The Doc Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Its got me beat why people would buy a KTM 500 and then ride it like Grandma, allowing them to use 91 fuel.
    If you ride this bike like it's designed to be ridden, you'll need more than a spare fuel pump in the toolbox if you use 91 on a full time basis.
    The difference between 91 & 95/98 regarding the damaging of fuel pumps is pure speculation.
    Hopefully you were just taking the piss and you weren't believing every random statement you read on the internet.
    hoorang likes this.