Ktm 500 Husky 501 Oz Adventure bikes

Discussion in 'Australia' started by bigbrad, Jan 2, 2017.

1. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I'm waiting for a Rack'n'Roll to arrive via the particularly useless courier in Bega. If it comes in after 10-ish Friday morning it doesn't make the truck, and it is a full week until they bother delivering here again, and then only if there is more than one parcel. As I said, useless.

When the rack arrives I will assemble it and ring the bike shop to arrange getting it the very next working day.Yep, I'm toey.:jive

The other one, when I pick up the new one I'll be buying replacement torque wrenches so I will be able to work on it, I also need to get a copy of the workshop manual from somewhere, mine burned eh, and I didn't find it in Greg's shed (yet.....I'll be having another look soon).

I wanna get the Adventure rego'ed for 12 mths so it is established in NSW in my name, but it needs some TLC because it has stood for so long, inner tubes and such should be replaced, along with all fluids, and all grease too. I'll wait until my new shed goes up so I have the room to strip it properly. Meantime, I'll be roosting the k's onto the new bike.:happay
  2. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have an older 350 (2014) and I bought a used SC seat for it. It is an improvement over stock, but for ADV riding, it still hurts after 30 minutes or so. Since I have 2 seats, I am about ready to ship mine to Fisher for his customization to 11" wide at the tailbone. I'm really looking forward to the results. Based on my discussion with him, and my experience with the SC seat, I agree with @Blakduk and think you should find a local upholstery shop to work with. The amount of money plus shipping for the Seat Concept is too much money for such modest gains. For me, I choose to support the independents like Dave Fisher, but in your case shipping is cost-prohibitive, so I think a local is the way to go. Based on my discussion with Dave Fisher on the phone yesterday, that I think you could improve upon the SC results through trial and error on your own for far less money.

The trick that Dave Fisher told me is to put a hardcover book on a medium stool and sit on it. Start with a 8" book and see if your "sit bones" both fit on the book. If not, swap out the 8" book for a 9" book and check again. Repeat until you find a width that supports your tailbone with some room to spare.

Next, sit on your bike in your normal seated "long haul" position and mark straight down from your tail bone to the seat. Take a measurement from the rear of the seat at that point. Thats where you want to make sure the foam is the width you found with the books on the stool. Use a moderately thick piece of stiff foam to create the base and then add a layer of medium soft foam that is narrower to shape it. Check out his website to see the general shapes he uses that simultaneously result in long haul comfort and seated/standing mobility because its still narrower near the front. I'm guessing a good upholsterer could step through all of this with you for a net savings and a great result.
  3. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I just got home and rode the new bike up the hill and back.
    Golly.:yikes It goes goodly.

Dumb questions are for later.
    a2zworks, Cruz, Simosez and 2 others like this.
  4. Simosez

Simosez go ride your bike.

Oddometer:
    Is Daley gunna take some photos?
  5. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Later. It looks just like the ones in the brochure, except this one wasn't pre-delivered (blinkers etc. in a box....).

Questions......
    The 2020 doesn't come with a bashplate.:dunno B&B look good straight off the bat, any other candidates?

Radiator guards, again B&B look all shiny and blingy, do they fit well with an Acerbis 20 litre tank, and any other candidate?
  6. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Force
    GodSilla and johnno950 like this.
  7. johnno950

johnno950 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you get the owners manual with bike?,I got a new 350 other week and dealer said
    No manuals with them,which is incorrect,last week called and said they do.
    Enjoy the new bike
    GodSilla likes this.
  8. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Yes I got the Manuel. Just not a fully assembled bike.

Another dumb question, who makes a decent tail tidy? 2020 models seem to be playing accessory-catch-up.

Any reason to prefer Force? (I looked at their bashplates but couldn't find one that held water).
  9. Camel 640

Camel 640 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Force fit the 15 and 19 litre tanks if that is any help IMG20200702140252.jpg
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  10. Simosez

Simosez go ride your bike.

Oddometer:
    I've had force on my 350 and now I have B&B on my 501. I like the B&B gear better. The Force stuff has a pretty anodised finish but I reckon the B&B gear is better.
    I'll post some pics tonight.
  11. outbackflyer

outbackflyer Of.

Oddometer:
    C1C14C91-1877-46C0-8AE1-0516E7CDC2AC.png Out in the fence line track today, fast and flat for 40 kms!
    GodSilla, Kiwirich, AUSSIEADV and 2 others like this.
  12. Jabba600

Jabba600 WA Adventurer

Oddometer:

B&B offer the best side impact protection force don’t unfortunately
    Plastic bashplates reduce noise I find
  13. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    B&B radguards look the goods, but they don't seem to have a 2020 version yet according to their website so I have a query in with them at the moment, waiting to hear back.
  14. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Just got off the tellingbone to B&B, the 2020 model radguards are nearly done, around 10 to 14 days and they will be available.:clap I ordered a bashplate from them anyway, a shiny polished jobbie.

What's the go with selling an enduro bike reputedly "ready to race" without a bashplate?
    Jabba600 and Blakduk like this.
  15. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Not only the bashplate.
  16. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Another observation, KTM seem to have exhausted their supply of HTFU and have had to resort to using foam in their seats, the results of which is comfort. Yep, truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fueling from the FI also seems to be very good, no lean-burn behaviours noticed. The bike is geared ridiculously short in stock trim, 13/50, it holds 60kph in 6th with no chain slap on a loose chain. That could partly be the excellent motor tune as well. I've got 14/48 sprockets on order. It would explain some of the wheelspin.:shog
  17. Chuck Thrillseeker

Chuck Thrillseeker I'll Do It Tomorrow I'm Busy Today

Oddometer:
    So your lowering the torque by 12% and adding 12% to the top speed? Will that get rid of the wheel spin?

When i read some of the reviews on this bike it is quite a rocket ship!...

https://sprocketcalculator.com/
  18. Rus

Rus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I find 13/50 perfect for technical off-road riding. My 501 came stock with 14/50, which was great for all round riding but a tad tall in the really snotty stuff where I often ride. The 13 came with the bike & is, I believe, what Husky intended most riders would use, with the 14 perhaps fitted more for ADR reasons. But if I was using it mostly for ADV type rides then 14/48 would probs be ideal, but I have a second bike (701) for those rides.

Anyway, congrats on the new bike, they are exceptional.
    Kiwirich likes this.
  19. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    It seems to come standard with gearing for tighter competition enduro courses, as @Rus has noted above, but the bikes are also renowned for being capable high-speed desert blasters, so re-gearing just takes the "instant" snap out of the throttle. I did this with my XR to get the best results too. It reduces the torque as you noted, so the tyre is less likely to break traction.
    I am running the standard (softcock) throttle cam in the throttle grip, there's another one that makes in even snappier off the bottom. Add in the snappier stage 2 engine map and I reckon it would be fairly difficult not to spin the wheel through all the gears.
    These things go hard and fast when you twist the grip, but keep your right wrist and the revs under control and it is a big softie, easy to just putt around on.
    nzrian and Chuck Thrillseeker like this.
  20. nzrian

nzrian renegade master Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMG_20200211_170741.jpg
    I have had a couple of axp plastic bash plates, made by some frogs.
    I like them, but some think they are not as tough as aluminium.
    No dramas for the stuff I ride, mostly gravel.

IMG_20200213_092644.jpg
    Takataka, outbackflyer and AUSSIEADV like this.