Ktm 500 Husky 501 Oz Adventure bikes

Discussion in 'Australia' started by bigbrad, Jan 2, 2017.

1. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    Thats one of reasons I prefer the pre 16 WR’s before they went to the YZ reverse motor for the type of riding this is about, 1.2 ltrs of oil, and some put more in, I’ve never bothered with more

AUSSIEADV likes this.
  2. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Graeme, they are talking specifically about oil volume for cooling. Your DR is air cooled, the KTM’s fluid cooled. Many of our cars only use 4 litres.

Dont forget the WR450 wasnt designed for ADV work. Either was the EXC, but we are lucky that we have a greater volume which is ideal for our ADVing of our EXC’s.
  3. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are people doing big km's on 500's without any change to the oil system and changing oil at distances well beyond the recommended. I suppose it comes down to how you ride really.
    GodSilla, anadel, Hoots and 3 others like this.
  4. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  5. a2zworks

a2zworks Trust me, I'm Pablo

Oddometer:
    The one under the pump is an inlet strainer any particles in the fuel that hit it just drop off, on the there hand the inline between the pump and regulator is a filter that will catch and contain most particles from going thorough to regulator and injector.
    This is why the first one was clean and second dirty.

I use a Profill instead of the strainer and this actually filters and contains particle before the pump, when I change it I always cut it open and it's dark inside, and I have moved the main filter outside replaced by a CanAm metal 10um.
    This arrangement has travelled 14,000 km in Tas, Vic, Qld and NT I carry a spare pump I check the pump pressure on a regular basis.
    Profil is a little Tasmanian company that exports around the world, support them.
    HUS03-1-scaled.jpg
    Kiwirich, AUSSIEADV and Neonasty like this.
  6. Camel 640

Camel 640 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One for Andrew today IMG20200802110921.jpg

Looks like the last time for at least 6 weeks
  7. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I'm returning the B&B radguards for a refund.
    On my 2020 bike the plastic thermostat housing ends up sitting around 2mm off the exhaust header outlet, instead of 15-20mm clearance. :fpalm The supplied brackets just push it straight at the exhaust. I'm not having that.
    The pictures in the instructions show a 2-stroke bike, so I can only assume that the bike the radguards were developed on (300 2-smoke???) has some slight differences to the 500 model.
    While the welding and product finish is very good, I can't recommend this product based on the poor fit-up. The bashplate was the same.
    "Dissappointed" would be an understatement. I really wanted to support a local Aussie business.
  8. Simosez

Simosez go ride your bike.

Oddometer:
    That's a shame. Try Force.
  9. YesRush

YesRush Long timer

Oddometer:
    The hose threads going into T .Are they the same size as your spark plug? Where did you get the T?

Never mind that.I just remembered I have a barbed brass T. Just need quick connects.
    I removed quick disconnects to test when my fuel reg took a crap.Bought Quantum kit to get reg.
    The fuel pump looked like a corn cob from ethanol gas.
    Ever see just the fuel reg 4-sale? I didn’t have any luck.
  10. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    The word "shame" doesn't quite describe it, "mediocre" seems closer.

And yes I will be ordering Force guards.
  11. Camel 640

Oddometer:
    ( Godsilla )
    You will definitely enjoy the bike once you get it set up for your style of riding they are a great base to build on splashing through the odd puddle IMG20200802122211.jpg

or overtaking traffic 110ks plus with ease on the way home.
    GodSilla, Dukehunt, AUSSIEADV and 2 others like this.
  12. moto74

moto74 displaced

Oddometer:
    The 2020 has a heap of changes to engine and frame over previous years, some quite subtle but current aftermarket fitment isn't always great.
    GodSilla likes this.
  13. The Doc

The Doc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys I have some quick connects for sale. I had to import a box of 10 to make my pressure tester so I still have some to get rid of.
    I wanted to make a system that allows me to run the bike under load while monitoring the pressure to get a real diagnosis hence why I bought the male/female set.
    To add to the usefulness of quick connects I will remove the connectors from my test hose setup and throw them in my bum bag. The female piece has been known break and the male piece is ideal to use if you need to decant some fuel to one of your mates via some cheap clear nylon hose and your fuel pump.
    They were not that cheap but way less than half of KTMs price. $55 per set plus postage. PM if interested.
  14. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    You nailed it. The devil is in the detail.

Hey @Camel 640, I am enjoying every ride on this bike. Distance locally is a bit limited by the size of the tank and fuel availability, but a 15 litre tank should alleviate that concern to a degree. I just wish that Acerbis 20 litre tank in your photo was available for the 2020 model. That's a nice tank. No riding here today though, 10 degrees at ground level and snow in the air.:vardy
  15. Camel 640

Oddometer:
    Know that feeling was only 9c when I started out on that last ride 15 by the time I was coming back.

Just watch out the 500 always tempts you to take that shortcut.
    IMG20200802112301.jpg

Silly old bugger trying to roost it up the centre of the track and finding himself with his left leg pinned under the bike facing back the way he came up.
    bigborett, richo360, Dukehunt and 9 others like this.
  16. Camel 640

Oddometer:
    OK to finish off the fishing trip.
    Most of those on this page already know how good the 500/501 are.
    For those just lurking these bikes are an ideal ADV bike, you leave home lane split the traffic drag 90/95% of the traffic away from the lights ( why, because you can ! and if you don't they will try and run over you for pulling in front of them ! )
    Then you throw the bike down a track have time to dig yourself out and take a photo. Drag the bike around so the front wheel faces down hill pick up the bike check for damage ( none ) hit the starter starts first time, ride off and half an hour later you are parked under the coffee tree on the way home.

IMG20200802114242.jpg
    IMG20200802114322.jpg

Wash bike repeat next weekend, although not this time 6 weeks off.:dirtdog:dirtdog
  17. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    Brilliant bikes. Best hard-ADV bike ever. Rutted single track crappy rocky up & down hills with ease. Drifted around corners btn 90 - 120 km/h on the gravel Kalpower to Monduran Rd. Overtook B-Double at 145 km/h on Bruce Highway.
    That e-traction system is awesome.
  18. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I'm lovin' mine. :raabia So light, so easy to ride, so manic on-demand.

Got my placcy bashplate today, unpacked it and stood next to the bike with 8mm socket in hand, and 60 seconds later it was fitted and ready to ride away. :ricky Literally.

As it should be.:brow
  19. Dee Cee

Dee Cee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jees you blokes are good adverts for these things.
  20. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    They are Contreau drinkers.
    Screenshot_2020-08-07-18-36-07-77.jpg
    Not that there is anything wrong with that. A lot classier than Fanta drinkers.
    Dukehunt likes this.