1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Ktm 500 Husky 501 Oz Adventure bikes

Discussion in 'Australia' started by bigbrad, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you need the spacers if you don't have the radiator guards?
  2. outbackflyer

outbackflyer Of.

Oddometer:
    How dare you assume the gender of my fender bag.,
  3. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I've got a call in with MXstore, I'm getting the usual requests for VIN numbers and non-existent barcodes so they can identify what they sold to me..................

The shrouds ain't never gunna fit without those spacers. The spacers in your photo look to be exactly what is required here. No amount of jiggling, assembly ordering, or bending will get these little ferckers on otherwise.
  4. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, doesnt help perhaps, BUT.....
    Apparently the spacers come with an Acerbis tank when ordered as OEM part from KTM dealers. Looks like MX store miss that bit.
    Try ringing Drew at Boltons KTM and see if he can get for you, he's a miracle worker.
    I'll see what I can find through a few groups Im in, maybe someone has some laying around.
    GodSilla likes this.
  5. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Apart from the mounting points, you need them for wind blockage as it can bypass the radiators to a degree. Path of least resistance.
    GodSilla likes this.
  6. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    MSC moto just sent my steering damper back, repaired. I spoke to them yesterday afternoon and it was sitting waiting to be posted out, and I got a text this morning saying it was available for pickup at the local village P.O..

How good is that?
    richo360 likes this.
  7. moto74

moto74 displaced

Oddometer:
    I wonder if they somehow supplied you with the tank for the '20 SXF.
  8. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    Sat the 2019 501 on ~6000 RPM for 4 hrs straight on the transport home. Is this a bad thing to do?
  9. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    No. Just change the oil, maybe check the valve clearances if you really feel the need (although that applies more to air-cooled bikes ). My old 640 is the same, 5000k service intervals but if you spend a good part of your day at 6000rpm and above they (KTM) recommend fresh oil daily. It's competition/race servicing really.
    Blakduk likes this.
  10. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    4 hrs? :confused 5k is as high as id like to ‘cruise’ on. Personally I reckon 6k for 4 hrs Is too high. Look the KTM’s can cope but premature wear will prevale. Why 6k? Gearing?
    Blakduk likes this.
  11. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    These are RFS motors remember, they are made to take a hiding in race conditions all day long, the trade-off for folks that ride them like us being a lot higher maintenance that otherwise would be required.
    The motors are built to do this though. My old LC4 625cc will rev itself silly over 6k all day long with the caveat it gets an oil change for the privilege and will wear a bit more quickly, as any motor would really.
    I would be thinking of re-gearing mine though if I was carrying those revs for that long, it indicates too short gearing for the intended purpose.
  12. Blakduk

Oddometer:
    14/48. Doing ~ 120 back from Adventure.
    I have a tacho/temp gauge.
    GodSilla likes this.
  13. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    That's the same gearing I am running at the moment, it seems to be a good general all-round ratio that suits dirt roads and cruising about at 75 - 95 in top). I like 14-48 for local use, but hwy transport sections are a bit revvy.
    I'm wanting to audition a 15T front partly to avoid having to row through the gearbox so quickly, and to reduce the revs in top. It's a relatively cheap experiment (except I'll need a new, longer chain....:fpalm).
  14. Blakduk

Oddometer:
    I had the same conundrum about 15T front. I liked going smaller at the rear as it slightly lengthened the wheelbase instead of shortening it.
    I did try 15/50 and 15/48, but thought 15/48 was a little highly geared. Just seemed to aggravate that gap btn 5th and 6th on our models.

Edit. Btw, I've 'inherited' a 2016 500EXC with 127 hours and set up for Adv. It's on the Oz fleamarket if you know anyone looking for one.
    GodSilla likes this.
  15. Takataka

Takataka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have gone from 14/48 to 15/48

15/48 is way more comfortable on the highway.
    I ride trials so live and die by the clutch anyway so 15 tooth still works well offroad for me.
    It may be a bit annoying in long sections of technical terrain but in short sections it's just a bit more clutch (as long as it's not hard enduro levels of difficulty). Anything 2 track or less and it's brilliant!
    Big Willy and GodSilla like this.
  16. david61

david61 Queue, a word with 4 silent letters....

Oddometer:
    I thought the "RFS" engines stopped production years ago?

My KTM junkie mate refers to them as some sort of mythical super engine from the deep past.
  17. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    You are correct. 2008 seems to be the last reference I can find to KTM making a new RFS motor, used in ATV's.
    david61 likes this.
  18. Blakduk

Oddometer:
    I thought that the 'bestest and strongest and longest-lasting and never-shoulda-been-changed' KTM motors were the 2012 - 2016 models? :y0!
  19. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    No, they were the 70 Degree engines! ;)
  20. moto74

moto74 displaced

Oddometer:
    Did you have to modify the front sprocket guard to accept the 15T?
    I went from the stock 14/50 to 14/48 and it feels like a good compromise gearing for mixed riding.