1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Ktm 500 Husky 501 Oz Adventure bikes

Discussion in 'Australia' started by bigbrad, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Takataka

Takataka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No but I'm not sure if previous owner has changed anything there.
    moto74 likes this.
  2. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    I had 15 T on for a short while, no modification needed.
    Takataka and moto74 like this.
  3. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    That would have been the 2003 - 2009 LC4 625cc motors, built like tanks and reliable as grandfathers axe, a maintained one will almost outlast the owner.

Just serviced mine at 16.8 hours and 993 k's, the oil and filter and screens were all clean, the oil looked hardly used. I'm gunna swap to Penrite 10W60 full synth, it is half the price of the other full synths and is a local company too. It meets the JASO 2 specs as well, which their 10W50 synth bike oil doesn't.

I run 14/48 combo and it is indeed a good compromise gearing. If I lived over the range out west I might think differently about it though.
    Cruz and Takataka like this.
  4. moto74

moto74 displaced

Oddometer:
    Did you make any headway with this? Mine arriving hopefully this week.
  5. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Not yet. I got an email on Friday acknowledging they had passed the info on to their warranty team who need to contact Acerbis (a chain of people seem to be involved), but I'm just waiting now to hear back from MXstore. I wish they'd hurry up.
  6. moto74

moto74 displaced

Oddometer:
    Good luck, I hope you can get a result.
    GodSilla likes this.
  7. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    I run a 15T with 48 rear. I find it neat for both offroad and road keeping the RPM at about 5,000 for highway cruising. Personal thing. Many run their bikes at high RPM for long stints. Its just not my cuppa.
    Takataka likes this.
  8. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Thanks to some sterling detective work by @moto74 (thanks again mate) I can confirm I have been supplied a tank in the correct packaging but containing the wrong tank - most likely the mistake is from the Acerbis end too.
    On the downside I am still waiting for MXstore to get their act together, despite me demonstrating the error to them.:dirtdog The bigger the store, the slower the response.
  9. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I'm getting a full refund.
    I rang MXstore just now to see if I could get this bumped along, and the lady on the phone got onto their "supplier" and told me they said it was the right tank according to their system, it shouldn't even fit if it was wrong, and being aftermarket there is no expectation that any of the standard fittings such as shrouds will fit. This was relayed to me. So the lady just swallowed a steaming pile of utter horseshit and passed it on, and when this was pointed out to her she was most uninterested ("I can only go on what they tell me", despite my evidence to the contrary). So a refund it is.

I am VERY disappointed with MXstore over this, I can demonstrate it is from a 2019 SXF but that isn't enough for them - truly pathetic is all I can say.

Up until now I've had a good run with MXstore, but the real measure of a business is how they perform when something goes wrong, and on that basis they did rather badly from my point of view.

Anybody got an alternative brand to recommend? IMS have one but no image of it on their website and it seems to be 20 litre, a bit more than I was looking for but still useful.
    richo360 likes this.
  10. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I was researching bigger tanks for my '14 350, those and the KTM OEM (looks like rebranded Acerbis) appeared to be my only choices. Do you need to switch brands AND stores? Are there no other sources for Acerbis down there? Just curious.
    GodSilla likes this.
  11. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    You will possibly be disappointed with IMS. Try again with Acerbis?
    You might get an excellent deal if you phone MXStore again and try again. Nicely!
    (I have in similar instances)
  12. a2zworks

a2zworks Trust me, I'm Pablo

Oddometer:
    You haven't had much with parts for your new scoot have you
    GodSilla likes this.
  13. Simosez

Simosez go ride your bike.

Oddometer:
    MX1 Australia do Acerbis. They are the old Off Road Imports.
    GodSilla likes this.
  14. Simosez

Simosez go ride your bike.

Oddometer:
  15. nzrian

nzrian renegade master Supporter

Oddometer:
    i have been running the ims on my 2019 for a year now, replaced the intank filter once, and have had no problems with the tank, FYI.

IMG_20200207_105815.jpg
    Hoots, AUSSIEADV, Dukehunt and 2 others like this.
  16. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    You are the Grand Master of UnderStatement. :pope

From the initial purchase through to this latest fiasco, I have had 6 accessories that just fit properly first time. Here they are.

Steg Pegz
    Pivot Pegz
    MSCmoto steering damper
    Force radguards
    Force case-saver
    KTM plastic skidplate

The steering damper sprung a leak but MSCmoto, to their credit, fixed it and returned it pronto.

The intial purchase was an utter disaster from the dealer, truly shitful in the extreme, bad beyond words.
    B&B oddly struggled to get anything to fit it properly, and I really really really wanted their radguards to fit (they did, but pushed the plastic thermostat housing within 1.5mm of the exhaust.)
    I know an acerbis tank fits, but the folks at MXstore in the customer service part (I use the term loosely) can't seem to understand they have supplied the wrong part and are just drones, despite the error being self-evident.
    I will state for the record that all of these issues above are directly caused by the humans involved, not the products themselves. Incompetence is a key here. Based on my own experiences, how they keep their jobs and stay in business is beyond me.
    horizonchasser and a2zworks like this.
  17. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Someone here pointed these out : https://aomc.mx/FF11-XXX.html - Zip-Ty inline filters.

Is there a local source fore these? I went to the USA site on the link but they want 50% of the value of the purchase just for postage. Like $35 for something that will fit in the palm of your closed hand. Bugger that.

I was gunna take a spin today while the temps are down a bit, but the bloody wind has sprung up again! 25 degrees here at sunrise from a blustery and gusty northerly and it hasn't improved at midday.
  18. anadel

anadel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some advice please. I have a very slow oil leak from the large drain bolt under the gear lever on my 2018 500, about 1 teaspoon or less every few days. There is a tiny notch in the sealing surface where the O ring sits. I put on a new O ring and that didnt work. I then applied high temp silicone sealant to the bolt and that didn't work. I can live with it but don't like oil leaks and I must have accidentally knocked the sealing rim with a metal tool recently as it never leaked before. I can't imagine that JB Weld would work as the nick is so tiny and smooth. any thoughts?
  19. 0405canvet

0405canvet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can you file it smooth??
  20. anadel

anadel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The outer edge of the sealing surface is flat so there appears to be no metal sticking into the O ring. The notch opens up towards the ID of the sealing surface. I was sure that the silicone would seal it but it didn’t. I haven’t ridden the bike since June so don’t know how much oil it would lose but it would be tiny.