Ktm 500 Husky 501 Oz Adventure bikes

Discussion in 'Australia' started by bigbrad, Jan 2, 2017.

1. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If its bent to the right, just kick something really hard to straighten it.
    Wear thongs when you do it and have a dozen beers under your belt, thats typically what happens when I wear them.
    GodSilla likes this.
  2. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    It has ruined my chance at the A-League eh. And probably the Olympics too.:queenie

I must admit the post-surgical discomfort was almost non-existent (thankfully), so it isn't hard to get something to hurt more than that.

The angle isn't severe, and I'm wondering if I just re-aggravated a previous injury from Jan 2nd 2000, when I took a ride with the local DSMRA president and another DSMRA member in Tallaganda State Forest and clipped a large cut-off tree trunk with the same foot on Jinglemoney Fire Trail in 2nd gear on the throttle, I still carry the deformed and bamboo-textured toenail from that one 20 years later. God that one hurt eh. I was too scared to remove my boot in case it wouldn't go back on again. That hit took a fair few weeks to come good. :kurtLesson : buy better boots, Tech 3's don't cut it for protection.:nod
    a2zworks and Kiwirich like this.
  3. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Anyone got a recommended source for a 15T front for a 2020 KTM 500 EXC-F?

The interweb is not co-operating with my searches for some reason, I just keep getting crap results all the time, and if I call a business I'm getting polite folks who know less than bugger-all to be frank.
  4. nzrian

nzrian renegade master Supporter

Oddometer:
    GodSilla likes this.
  5. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that link. I ended up going with MXstuporstore just because they are the only mob who seem to have any in stock, and the same for a decent chain breaker/joiner.
    I was in Canberra yesterday and asked at multiple bike shops and no-one had a chain-breaker. I refuse to go to the big store, who probably had one, but fuck those arseholes.
    Same with buying a chain, a lot of online stores have limited stock or the websites are so shite you struggle wading through miles of utter crap because there's no decent filtering.

So MXstuporstore got my business, reluctantly after the recent tank fiasco. And the closest bike I can list to mine on their website bike selector is a 450 EXC-F, the 500 is only listed in EXC form on their website (an older different bike), more uselessness.

Anyway, my LED blinkers arrived today, the tunable flasher units might be here tomorrow, and I have crash-repaired the rest of it myself after buying some supplies, probably saving $600 to $700 in new parts.
    I also de-cored the muffler pipe, I had to turf the steel wool as it won't keep its shape and just kept clogging the hole when I went to put the tube back in, but the fibreglass is still in there. It is a bit more "barky" now eh. Those muffler end-caps are buggers to get off and on.
    A new rear tyre is fitted too, a Mitas C02 Stone King, they last longer than 600 k's so I will be much happier about that.

fun fun fun.
  6. Simosez

Simosez go ride your bike.

Oddometer:
    Gods, KTM sprockets haven't changed since the first 520exc and SX. Same with brake pads. Bearings used to be the same until they changed the front axle recently.
    GodSilla and nzrian like this.
  7. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    So I had a look, but for the life of me I couldn't find the flasher relay on my 2020 bike. :scratch

Does anyone know where it is hidden? :ear
  8. nzrian

Oddometer:
    Behind the headlight from memory. IMG_20191018_105651.jpg
    GodSilla likes this.
  9. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that advice there. I looked behind the headlight but nothing stood out as being a flasher relay, just lots of connectors. I'll have another look eh.
    Can you describe the location in that photo?
  10. Knackers

Knackers Polishing Turds

Oddometer:
    I haven't gotten around to removing mine yet but I'm going to buy a new length of SS core and junk the stock one.
    GodSilla likes this.
  11. Kiwirich

Kiwirich Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    On my 701 .... as I remember
    Its black, about the size of the end of a box of matches. White connector 4 or 5 wires.

Kiwirich
    GodSilla likes this.
  12. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Bugger, the replacement one I have is 2 wires, same as on my 640 and my XR. WTF? That's why I can't identify it, I'm looking for a 2-pin thingo.
    I might not need to replace it but, I have soldered the stock connectors off the busted indicators onto the LED units and they may flash at an acceptable rate, I''ll just have to try it and see. I will report back on it.

Meanwhile, I took a decent spin today (toe is (slowly) getting better eh) on mainly gravel, with tar transports linking it up, I went to Bega all dirt, then almost home and then back out to Candelo and then home. I swear it used less fuel than previously. I suspect the richened mixture is seeing me using less throttle to accelerate, and a more consistent throttle instead of it hunting and being all lean. It holds a speed easily now, I'm not constantly looking at the speedo or making constant micro-corrections. Much betterer.:nod
    Kiwirich likes this.
  13. anadel

anadel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you should be getting 23km/litre with a rex retune and reasonably steady riding, although the gearing will affect it too.
    GodSilla likes this.
  14. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    So whats the consensus for an ADV conversion.

500 or 501?
  15. nzrian

Oddometer:
    Just a random photo of mine there sorry.

This is 2020 wiring diagram from ktm newcastle website.
    #7 is the relay, looks to be up front.
    Look under the seat as well.

Screenshot_20201115-125931.png
    Kiwirich and GodSilla like this.
  16. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I didn't think of the parts fiche, good work there.:thumb

My LED blinkers flash a bit quick with them fitted only on the rear, I still have the std units on the front. I'll try and track down that flasher unit again a bit later. Thanks again for the assistance.
    nzrian likes this.
  17. Bleh

Bleh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which colour do you prefer?
  18. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    I do like both those flavours. Have a few of one a couple of the other and one in between. So colour is not a real issue.
    The Husky has the plastic subframe doesn't it? Does that limit luggage options?
  19. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    The KTM has a short alloy subframe but it only really does the seat, the rest of the rear end is plastic too (I just had to fix mine 'cos I tore it off, pretty easy to fix really). I suspect they are both quite similar.
    Parts availability might be worth considering, I dunno how Husky's go these days :dunno but KTM sell shitloads and parts are OK.
    bigborett likes this.
  20. Bleh

Bleh Long timer

Oddometer:
    KTM will possibly have more aftermarket parts because they seem to sell more, but my understanding is the engines are identical, so parts there shouldn't be an issue. The tank is different, so not interchangeable, the plastics are different too. The husky has different suspension, which the general opinion seems to be is better. I'm not sure that there are any other differences. I'm certainly no expert.

I've seen arguments for and against the husky subframe, but it really seems like a 6 one way, half a dozen the other kind of situation.

I went for the 501 for no other reason than I found a low hour bike in excellent condition with lots of extras for a good price.
    Dukehunt, Hoots and GodSilla like this.