Ktm 500 Husky 501 Oz Adventure bikes

Discussion in 'Australia' started by bigbrad, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you're going to adventurise this one, not tempted by the new incarnation of the 690/701 ... ?

From memory, you were one of the ones happy with the old 690 - that said, does seem to have turned a corner post 2019 ...
  2. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    Quite happy with my old 690.
    Have thought for sometime though if were to upgrade I'd probably go an adventurised 500.
    A bit more separation between mounts.
    Just thoughts at the moment though.
    Hoots likes this.
  3. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    GodSilla likes this.
  4. Grog

Grog Old Bastard

Oddometer:
    G,day, anyone out there got the orange paint code for the KTM exc's... thanks.
  5. Grog

Grog Old Bastard

Oddometer:
    Got it... RAL 2009 thanks all.
  6. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    :clap Found it!

The flasher relay sits in a recess directly below the instruments on a 2020, a 2-pin affair. There is a square opening in the speedo mount plastic that it fits up into.:thumb
    Kiwirich and nzrian like this.
  7. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I took a nice ride since the weather is conducive today. Dirt around the back on Polacks Flat Rd to Morans Crossing, a short tar tansport to Buckajo Way, then to Bega, then Reedy Swamp Rd and Goats Knob Trail (aptly named) to Tathra via Mogareeka, where I had a really good hamburger at the takeaway opposite the park there. Home via tar to Doctor George Mountain Rd, a short detour to check out the lovely Murrays Flat Rd and back, then Buckajo to Morans Crossing and 10k tar home.
    I filled up in Bega at 113 ks for 5.2 litres, so roughly 22k per litre with mostly dirt roads.

Also, I am now running a Mitas C02 StoneKing rear tyre, I can report good grip and bugger-all wear, it should last at least as long as a Dunlop 606 with a lot better grip.:clapIt will easily outlast the other 2 tyres I tried which were dead at 700 k's:pope and the grip is at least as good, it is a proper full knobby, an ex-Trelleborg pattern with strong sidewalls and puncture resistance. I am running it at 12 psi.
    nzrian likes this.
  8. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    That Stone King is a wild looking tyre - not squirrely at all ... ?
  9. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    No mate, it hooks up better than either of the previous tyres I ran on this bike. Straight-line drive is really good, I'm not so keen to test sliding since the power upgrade and a crash, my toe is healing nicely but my good left knee is suffering from tears somewhere due to that crash and is playing up so I have 2 crook knees now :baldy, so at my age discretion is the better part of valour eh. Running at 12 psi it works really well, I used to run them at 15psi on the XR but that weighed 30 kilos more too. They are a really good hoop. I have an 18 x 120.
    Hoots likes this.
  10. smacka

smacka Tripper head

Oddometer:
    What really disappoints me is that we're (ie I agree with you!) talking about tyres such as the Stone King & Dunlop 606 as still being the go-to standard.

For fuck's sake, haven't the rubber gurus made any advances in the last 20+ years?
    GodSilla likes this.
  11. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Surprisingly not really... not as far as real off road oriented rubber goes, anyway...

Dunlop D606

[​IMG]

MITAS C-02

[​IMG]

Both the C-02 and D606 are street legal, yet aggressive off road application rears.

The C-02 was my rear tire of choice on the SE 950R when the riding was predominantly (@ 80%) off road and some gravel fire trails etc. Limit the asphalt travel with the C-02... the big tread blocks just wear the lead edge off , and as you can see with a plain eye... the contact patch (on a hard asphalt surface) with the agressive block spacing is really SFA.

The D606 is probably a better all rounder/compromise if you are looking for road miles longevity (due to the more uniform tread block spacing and profile), and yet still respectable off road and gravel grip...
  12. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is really not true ...

There's an enormous spectrum of off-road tyres now - in an enormous range of sizes

Everything from the 'trail' type tyres, to ADV, desert / rally, enduro and the trials hybrids

The difficulty is knowing where to start - fortunately consumables, so you can work your way around a bit

That said, D606s are dependable and a known quantity - and pretty cheap - and never a bad option for fire trails etc
    BygDaddee likes this.
  13. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    What they are like when new is one thing... but the wear pattern after some miles tells the story...

C-02

[​IMG]

the side knobs are like new... but middle blocks worn to about half. Translates to; "tip the bike in on a hard asphalt road surface, and it will step out like a 500cc GP two stroke - due to the sudden profile/camber change".

D606

[​IMG]

... also side knobs like new... and center blocks about half worn down... but due to the intermediate side treadblock, the transition from vertical to turning is a much more predictable issue on asphalt road surface.

Which is why I'd give the D606 the nod in a real "dualsport" application, where good asphalt manners are a part of the requirement... which I think is the question @Hoots was asking.
    GodSilla and BygDaddee like this.
  14. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    I was referring to smacka's comment specifivally reagarding the C-02 and D606 for off road application...

The C-02 is a direct descendant/copy of the Trelleborg "Military special" enduro tire that's been around since the mid 70's... that was the "haven't they made any advances in the last 20 years" comment I reacted to.

[​IMG]

... Trelleborg (the company) acquired the MITAS brand back in 2015... but MITAS have been manufacturing motorcycle tires under the Trelleborg IP and design rights since long prior to that.
  15. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    In either case... both of these "hoops" are great choices for a 500/501 Ozventure bike... depending on what and where your ride focus is.

This little coloring in exercise illustrates what I was referring to earlier - regarding the "contact patch" of the two different tires when cornering. Regardless if we're talking hard pack gravel, or asphalt; here are the tread block patterns in direct comparison - regarding lean angle and the percentage contact area. Same series of three tread blocks on each - taken from real world photos, of real world usage.

C-02

C-02_LI.jpg

D606

D606_LI.jpg
  16. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    And thats why they haven't changed the 606 for what would seem like a decade, the balance of budget/performance/wear results in a tyre you can sell tonnes of

david61 likes this.
  17. nzrian

nzrian renegade master Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heads up for any ims tank owners, this tank was fine 60 hrs ago.

IMG_20201120_174805.jpg

Gonna pack the spine pad up a couple mm and see if that helps.

Also changed the in tank filter, this one has about 60 hrs, bike has a total of 93 hours.

IMG_20201120_182435.jpg
    Kiwirich and GodSilla like this.
  18. anadel

anadel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine looked like that at less than 30 hrs. Completely normal for this bike. One of the reasons why I installed one of the Best Dualsports large filters.I wonder what a T7 filter looks like with time on it?
    Kiwirich likes this.
  19. nzrian

nzrian renegade master Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yah my 35 hr filter change looked a lot worse than this one.

IMG_20191030_204326.jpg
    Kiwirich likes this.
  20. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    Mine at 100 hours was the same colour, but not shrunken much.
    nzrian and Kiwirich like this.