Ktm 500 Husky 501 Oz Adventure bikes

Discussion in 'Australia' started by bigbrad, Jan 2, 2017.

1. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I got a better filter from dualsports, but I haven't fitted those pinch-clamps before.

Any tips before I fuck it up? :ear
  2. anadel

anadel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No worries, I didn't like the idea of those single use clamps (Oetiker clamps), especially if I had to do an emergency ride replacement. I bought quality stainless hose clamps which can be reused. I also carry some spares just in case. Another advantage with the Bestdualsports filters is that they have screw on ends and all you do is unscrew one end with a shifter, thus leaving the fuel hose attached to the end cap so no need for hose clamps. They also have a new smaller metal fuel filter which is the same size as the KL97. It still has the screw off end so you shouldn't need to undo clamps and the other good feature is that it is a 2 stage filter and the internal filter is washable so no need to buy the replacement filters. And its relatively cheap, although with currency/freight it will be double the US price here.

https://www.bestdualsportbikes.com/product-page/2-stage-in-tank-fuel-filter
    I am not a fan of the owner but he does have excellent products.
  3. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Ha! That 2-stage jobbie is the one I got, the other one (that actually filters better) is out of stock.

Thanks for that advice on the stainless hose clamps, I was thinking of those myself and you have confirmed it for me.:thumb
  4. anadel

anadel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This photo shows my original fuel hose (between the pump and the filter). The hose is a bit more than 9mm OD and these clamps are a good fit. i think I got them on ebay, they were designated for the range of 8-10mmOD. When I tried to remove this hose it actually broke off the end of the spigot on the fuel pump so be careful!
    stainless fuel line hose and clamp.JPG
    GodSilla and Kiwirich like this.
  5. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Strange electrical problem today.
    I fitted 2 LED blinkers to the rear to replace the broken units, apart from making the flasher work a bit harder (faster flashing) no other problems.
    Today I replaced the 2 front ones with the same type of LED unit, and now all blinkers flash regardless of which side I have chosen to flash.
    The flasher switch checks out to be good, there's no short in that unit, and I have put a meter on most everything I can find with no issues, except the indicator indicating light, the little green fucker on the lhs of the dash, seems to have a wire from each flasher side attached from the loom to operate it, attached both circuits, and no neutral wire, I really dunno what that is about.
    Could this be the issue, now that I have LED's that little green bastard is getting sufficient overdraw to run both sides?

It is also the only component that doesn't have a disconnect plug too.:baldy
  6. moto74

moto74 displaced

Oddometer:
    anadel, Kiwirich and GodSilla like this.
  7. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I resolved the flashers acting like hazard lights by removing that globe in the green dash flasher indicator, so I worked it out over coffee and a ham sandwich.:*sip*:dukegirl:hmmmmm

A big thanks for that video link @moto74, I hadn't thought of diodes in-circuit, good idea and I'll have to get some.

:shogI must get some of those plugs too, much tidier than solder, tape and heatshrink.

UPDATE : I looked at the comments and found his other video with the ebay search terms and now have 20 plugs of female and 20 plugs male on their way for under $20. good stuff! :clap
  8. anadel

anadel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The fellow who made this video Keith Jobson has some interesting videos on life with a 500. Now on a related subject, has anyone replaced the idiotic blinker switch block on their KTM? The first time I rode mine I was in disbelief at how badly the thing is designed. I had to back off the tension on the block to allow the switches to operate. How any sane designer can think this system is OK is beyond me. I have seen conventional switch blocks ( with the normal side to side blinker switch) for sale on ebay and was wondering how complicated it would be to wire it in. I know we don't buy these bikes for their road accessories but I think a functioning blinker system is important.
    GodSilla likes this.
  9. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    The action on the switch is indeed crappy, but it works and that's the main thing. If you find a decent solution,.......:ear
  10. moto74

moto74 displaced

Oddometer:
  11. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Ebay switch on my "13 450xcw. Don't remember it being a problem to install, but I don't have an issue with wiring. :dunno
    [​IMG]
    nzrian likes this.
  12. anadel

anadel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, at least I have something to go off now, over to ebay. Thats an interesting dashboard on your bike. Homemade?
  13. 2old2Bbold

Oddometer:
    Yes, home made. I wanted the speedo thing where I could see it, and the hand guards off the bars for more room for switches etc. The 3 way switch next to the headlight switch toggles the speedo thru it's various functions. Only the "12 and "13 models had the extra pig tail for the switch....pretty handy. The tablet gps and Triumph 1200 explorer wind screen came layer. :D
    [​IMG]
    Cruz likes this.
  14. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    99% of excs dont have blinkers and rwc stuff fitted.
    Made only as a necessity id say
  15. anadel

anadel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good point, when I have looked at Bikesales it seems that most of the Victorian bikes have no blinkers. Perhaps with their rec rego they don't need them.
  16. anadel

anadel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for including that photo. I have a feeling I found your bike photos somewhere else on ADVrider with the bike parked in a petrol station. There were views from the front and you had an interesting mounting system using metal rods. Great point re reducing all the clutter on the bars. That is exactly where I am at the moment as I have my screen mounts there, along with a ram mount and the BBusters clamps. It looks like your lower screen mounts to that horizontal bar as well. Very well thought out set up. The Triumph screen also looks good. I have been modifying screens for years to fit my dirt bikes.

I use to import the fantastic Aeroflow screens into Australia and I have modified their R1100/1200GS screens to fit a Husky Terra, BMW Xchallenge, DR650 and now my 500EXC.
  17. 2old2Bbold

Oddometer:
    Yes, the screen mounts are from an old Honda. Don't know what model. The rest I made. The rods are from a home improvement store.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In hindsight I probably should have used a Highway Dirt Bikes set up.... https://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/ .... but I like making stuff. :D
  18. AussieEvo

AussieEvo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got a hot running Husky.
    Has anyone fitted a coolant overflow bottle? Any leads on a lower cut in temp switch for the fan?
  19. 2old2Bbold

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hijack y'all's thread, but yep, made one of those too. Plastic pipe...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  20. AussieEvo

AussieEvo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well that's the ducks nuts! What is the volume of the resevoir?